Sign in to follow this  
machiavelli

Killed=Temporary Server Ban

/flame coat on

One of my gripes about the game is the ease of reclaiming your character's gear from the dead body. "No big deal. Just run back to your body." Even more so the casd when there are groups together, as they just camp the body until he returns.

As it is supposed to be a difficult survival simulator, this aspect some negates the effects of dying.

I would propose that if a player is killed, that player is kicked and cannot rejoin the server until after the next restart. His group can still claim his items, but they'd obviously be pressed for space and would need to prioritize. With the restart, the body and remaining gear is gone.

As a new spawn, it's supposed to be a completely fresh start, a new character. I unddrstand that metagaming will never be completely wiped from Dayz, but this can at least block some of it.

Unsure how the public hive works, this may not be a hive feature, but perhaps a server feature. Again, don't know how that could work.

• Like 1

I for one would agree with you, and think this is a good idea, Or just make a time on your dead body and it will be gone after so many min say like 10, that way others could loot it but like u said they would not be abel to get all gear, and most of the time it would take u longer than 10min to run back to where you died at so there goes the prob of no fear of death, bc than you would not be abel to run right back and get all your gear, or your buddys camp tell you get there.

That wouldn't work...not even a little. Halfway through the post I had already discovered a major flaw in that. Here's how to get around it

Player A dies

Players B through...whatever move to his corpse.

Player B removes his gear, has players C-whatever watch his stuff,

PLayer B recovers player A's belongings

Player B hops to new sever with A's things and Player A joins him on the new server

Player B drops all of Player A's gear, sets up a safe meeting spot on the new server.

Player A moves to meetup location, player B rejoins the rest of the group on the previous server

Player B recovers his gear from the old server, is fully outfitted again.

Players B-whatever hop server to join Player A and move to meetup spot

Everyone has their gear again, except Server A, which is down everything the group looted while there, at least until next restart.

• Like 2

I for one would agree with you, and think this is a good idea, Or just make a time on your dead body and it will be gone after so many min say like 10, that way others could loot it but like u said they would not be abel to get all gear, and most of the time it would take u longer than 10min to run back to where you died at so there goes the prob of no fear of death, bc than you would not be abel to run right back and get all your gear, or your buddys camp tell you get there.

There's already that system in place, or there will be. I know they've been working on tweaking the body decay time. Not sure what it is set to at the moment, I know they had for a while been considering everything from restart to an hour to 10 minutes or a half hour.

That wouldn't work...not even a little. Halfway through the post I had already discovered a major flaw in that. Here's how to get around it

Player A dies

Players B through...whatever move to his corpse.

Player B removes his gear, has players C-whatever watch his stuff,

PLayer B recovers player A's belongings

Player B hops to new sever with A's things and Player A joins him on the new server

Player B drops all of Player A's gear, sets up a safe meeting spot on the new server.

Player A moves to meetup location, player B rejoins the rest of the group on the previous server

Player B recovers his gear from the old server, is fully outfitted again.

Players B-whatever hop server to join Player A and move to meetup spot

Everyone has their gear again, except Server A, which is down everything the group looted while there, at least until next restart.

That sounds like a hassle, and I for one would tell my clan mate to get over it and start again.

But if they want to go through all that bullshit, then let 'em?

I think the idea is great and will totally cut back on if not almost get rid of players re-claiming they're stuff.

@Westerburg

Do you see how many steps you put in that? That's much more taxing than "Run back to your body." Add in whatever time delays they have for server hopping and ghosting, you could easily be looking at a couple hours, with getting to the meet up location too. If players want to waste time like that, have at it.

I propose this knowing they have this 10 minute limit on bodies being there. However, I'd like to have bodies not disappear between restarts. May be more resources, but that's on the devs to optimize.

It would make the world feel lived in, at least previously (harharhar). What happened to this guy? Who may be in this town? Why does he not have pants and a glowstick?!

So.. ..if I died from falling down a ladder, I wouldn't be able to play with my team anymore?

Then they would just loot me and we'd all move to another server? Ridiculous.

Kill them in the Northwest, properly... ;-) They aren't running back there in 10 minutes... and if they do manage to run all the way back to the Northwest to get their stuff more power to them... It will be better if you can drag and bury the body. If they are in a group and you can't kill the whole group and that group guards the stuff let that be the advantage of teaming up vs being a KOS lone bandit. Regardless... everyone is going to experience losing all of their stuff. You're also ignoring that shooting them up damages their loot... so even if they get it back quite a bit of it could be useless or damaged.

As a new spawn, it's supposed to be a completely fresh start, a new character.

Also, if they are with a group... they will never have to start fresh because their friends, regardless of their own body, can give them a pistol or a second rifle they are carrying and help them out... Having friends has advantages that cannot be countered.

Meanwhile on the experimental patch - you have 10 minutes max. to get back to your stuff. You get hungry and thristy after like 2 minutes when you spwaned in. You have approx. 5 minutes to get sth. to eat/drink before you die. Means - no way you gonna run that 10 minutes anywhere as it will not work?

Besides that all stuff gets ruined (read unusable) when being shot. So even if you would get there - it wouldn`t matter.

Edited by bonsai

I suspect that it's the main reason we see people complain about how much running around they have to do in the game is because they expect to corpse run.

• Like 1

So.. ..if I died from falling down a ladder, I wouldn't be able to play with my team anymore?

Then they would just loot me and we'd all move to another server? Ridiculous.

Yeah. Your character died in that world. Tough shit. That's fine, move to a different server. Your group would be somewhat challenged in grabbung everything.

Granted, it would suck for glitch deaths, but even the current ladder ones can be carefully avoided.

Also, if they are with a group... they will never have to start fresh because their friends, regardless of their own body, can give them a pistol or a second rifle they are carrying and help them out... Having friends has advantages that cannot be countered.

Handing someone an extra weapon is much different than meta gaming and running back to where the previous characrer left off.

I really see it as easy mode for all these super leet squads. There is a division, I think, of players who think it is a group game and those who think it is a lone player's game. To each his own.

An alternative would be to set an exclusion radius around your dead body - say 500m - so that if you (in your new incarnation) come within that radius then your old body despawns. Sure it doesn't get around the whole groups holding your gear for you thing but it would stop the whole looting yourself thing which is a problem in my view.

Edited by Roshi

Disagree with suggestion, agree with the issue exposed.

instead of ban, why not:

- delay spawn for 1 or 2 mins ? ( time for a coffee break !!! )

- force follow up spawn in the opposite end of the map ? ( a strain on the teams, but a price to pay nonetheless )

- spawn in a random heavy forest place ( so recognition of place is not immediate and player has to wander a bit to find out )

An alternative would be to set an exclusion radius around your dead body - say 500m - so that if you (in your new incarnation) come within that radius then your old body despawns. Sure it doesn't get around the whole groups holding your gear for you thing but it would stop the whole looting yourself thing which is a problem in my view.

dont work

just put aII items from dead body on ground. they are permanent then tiIi server restart.

dont work

just put aII items from dead body on ground. they are permanent then tiIi server restart.

I suspect that you didn't get my post - how can you put your kit on the ground if you're dead. I acknowledged in the post that it doesn't solve gear hoarding by groups.

Hey!! Wanna hear something cool and funkiness that completely solves this problem.

Don't die...

I think I've died twice since Christmas. I just don't get how people seem to die all the time?

• Like 1

I can't think of many times I've been able to run back to my body even in the mod. Sometimes it's because I'm too far north for it to be worth the hassle, other times I have and it's already been looted. So it's not something I think is regular enough for it to be a big deal. I have on very rare occasions just found fully geared dead characters, should I not be able to loot them? Lastly the standalone is currently as glitch prone as the mod so characters can just die for no particular reason. I know it's early days and all that, but until the game becomes more stable I think this shouldn't be a priority.

I suspect that you didn't get my post - how can you put your kit on the ground if you're dead. I acknowledged in the post that it doesn't solve gear hoarding by groups.

your buddies do that Iike mentioned up in the thread. not you

Disagree with suggestion, agree with the issue exposed.

instead of ban, why not:

- delay spawn for 1 or 2 mins ? ( time for a coffee break !!! )

- force follow up spawn in the opposite end of the map ? ( a strain on the teams, but a price to pay nonetheless )

- spawn in a random heavy forest place ( so recognition of place is not immediate and player has to wander a bit to find out )

These suggestions just make it a bit harder to "Run back to your body."  I'm proposing a way to end it.  That's fine if the player's group wants to grab his stuff, but they'd be pressed to grab it all and they have to wait, at least on that server, until the next restart. 

My idea here is that the player died, regardless of how (think past glitch deaths for now).  As a new character, immediately having knowledge of where a bunch of gear is (your previous character) is easy-mode.  However, I don't like the current mechanic of a time limit on the body being there.  I think dead bodies ought to stay in the world, until the restart.  It makes for a better experience, as it makes the world feel lived in.

Yes, this isn't really a priority in the development of the game.  However, it's a suggestion, being the Suggestion Forum.

Edited by Machiavelli09

Hey!! Wanna hear something cool and funkiness that completely solves this problem.

Don't die...

I think I've died twice since Christmas. I just don't get how people seem to die all the time?

Yeah the problem is other people die and then run back to their body and re-equip all their gear...

Yeah the problem is other people die and then run back to their body and re-equip all their gear...

Camp the body of whoever you killed to see who comes running in? If you're up against groups alone or with an inferior force, you're not going to loot any bodies anyway. Thats just the advantage of having a group; they can help you survive and help you get started again. You as the killer, if you want to loot the corpse or prevent them from looting it, should play in groups then.

Dead people's gear gets damaged. When they actually make ruined items unusable (i think next update), it's gonna make running back to your body pretty useless, or not much worth it. Maybe you can salvage something, but it'd be damaged anyway, and the rest will be ruined.

I too prefer to have the bodies remain there, for the lived in feel. They cant do it now due to optimisations, but i hope they will. You can hide/bury the body, but it will stay there otherwise, and rot lol.

It's sort of metagaming, running back to your body or rejoining your squad, but it's not a major metagaming issue. It's a social game, we play together, it should not be limited or penalized.

Instead, personally, i'd put more focus in encouraging staying alive, rather than penalizing dying. If staying alive has true value, then people will automatically want to do that. Current reasons, as others have mentioned, are position and gear. Maybe we could have a alive timer, visible as statistics to yourself, and dead players boards with this statistics available to everyone, so you could check out how long john doe survived and maybe you feel inclined to imitate or beat the record.

If a simple skill system would be implemented, obviously would make staying alive more important.

Maybe some other small bonus, one that does not affect gameplay considerably, but is nice to achieve, i dunno, like scars, tattoos, unique items, special skills...i dunno.