Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

In case anyone didn't know already, when you put your fists up and double tap W you sprint crazy fast.

The really stupid thing about this is it doesn't fatigue you much, if any. In some cases you can be huffing and puffing from jumping over fences and slow walking with anything in your hands, then put it away and take off sprinting and actually catch your breath, and sprint for 5 minutes without a problem.

Of course this doesn't come without consequence, when you hit any type of hill or have to walk for a second it's a painfully slow pace. So, I usually end up in a space bar pressing marathon raising and lowering fists, and the worst part is you have to stop for it to actually change.

Also, the amount of huffing and puffing your character does in every other stance/pace is pretty horrible. Stepping up a ledge shouldn't put you out of breath. Walking with a rifle shouldn't either. That stuff isn't as bad, it's just balance issues that will be fixed in time I hope.

If I could suggest a fix I would say switch the fists up & down. So the best way to move is with lowered fists, and when you are forced to walk/vault you aren't moving around like a boxer.

Eh, I don't really think we should be able to sprint 1k in 90 seconds like we're all gold medal Olympic athletes, either.  Hopefully they'll fix being forced to walk :P

Edited by McG2
  • Like 1

I think the fact that it doesn't fatigue you right now is kind of necessary until they put vehicles in the game, otherwise it would take forever to get from 1 town to another.  Once vehicles get put in the game (even just bicycles) I'm all for making sprinting more difficult by causing you to lose energy/hydration really fast.  Also - it will make running away from zombies much more difficult, thus increasing their threat.

I think if Rocket is going for 'realism' then having a literal 'Turbo button' is a bit... silly. 

• Like 1

Not only does it not noticeably affect fatigue, it doesn't noticeably affect energy consumption either. If you aren't fist-out sprinting everywhere you're just doing it wrong.

I think it's ok. Not a big deal. If games are too realistic, it loses the fun factor. Just imagine how lame it would be for new spawns can't run very fast.

Currently the speed at which you move has no effect on how quickly you lose energy and hydration, I imagine this is not working as intended and they're still planning out how walking, jogging, running, and sprinting will drain you of these precious resources. I can only imagine that sooner or later this will be a reason not to spring long distances, or that they might implement some form of stamina system. Either way I think it's safe to assume perma-sprint will be lost somewhere through alpha/beta.

"punch running" is the way to go atm. whilst using this feature you have no weapons up. if you encounter somebody, time how long it takes you to stop , choose weapon(hotkey) and be ready for action. is it better than running for miles with weapon out on a 30 man server that has 16 online and most will be at either newspawn area/cherno/electro/mil base?

you also have (server permitting) 3pp and 2x alt key to sprint and look around to see whats going on. very handy when keeping the sun/shadow in a certain location, as in to use it as a compass.

I think the fact that it doesn't fatigue you right now is kind of necessary until they put vehicles in the game, otherwise it would take forever to get from 1 town to another.  Once vehicles get put in the game (even just bicycles) I'm all for making sprinting more difficult by causing you to lose energy/hydration really fast.  Also - it will make running away from zombies much more difficult, thus increasing their threat.

Man, what is with this misconception that when vehicles come into DayZ that no one will have to run around anymore?

If anything we will be running around more trying to find a car, then running around trying to find the right parts to fix it.

Then you realize someone else beat you to it and your back to square one.

Vehicles will rarely is ever spawn functional, we will need to fix them up first, and there wont be one for every player.

I just hope we will have to ability to pop it into neutral and hide it under a tree or just out of the open if possible.

"Fists out running" is the new "knife out running"

• Like 2

"punch running" is the way to go atm. whilst using this feature you have no weapons up. if you encounter somebody, time how long it takes you to stop , choose weapon(hotkey) and be ready for action. is it better than running for miles with weapon out on a 30 man server that has 16 online and most will be at either newspawn area/cherno/electro/mil base?

you also have (server permitting) 3pp and 2x alt key to sprint and look around to see whats going on. very handy when keeping the sun/shadow in a certain location, as in to use it as a compass.

If you don't have a weapon then it's perfect I mean he's gotta be a lousy shot if you close the gap w/o getting hit. PoS!!!

I think it's ok. Not a big deal. If games are too realistic, it loses the fun factor. Just imagine how lame it would be for new spawns can't run very fast.

Imagine if you died and could no longer play DayZ

I just think the whole idea of the fists up sprint being the best is very unintuitive. Before I learned about the benefits of fists up running I was doing it fists down and taking breaks to catch my breath when I might need to use a gun. It added another layer of difficulty to the game and felt natural. The whole fists up to run thing just feels gimicky and like we're exploting a bugged feature. I can't imagine this was the result they intended.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

I would imagine that has to be a bug or was left in for testing purposes(help testers get around faster).

I still fail to see what is so OP about it...everyone can do it, so it's a level playing field...

and it really only makes you slightly faster, so what's the point?

In case anyone didn't know already, when you put your fists up and double tap W you sprint crazy fast.

The really stupid thing about this is it doesn't fatigue you much, if any. In some cases you can be huffing and puffing from jumping over fences and slow walking with anything in your hands, then put it away and take off sprinting and actually catch your breath, and sprint for 5 minutes without a problem.

Of course this doesn't come without consequence, when you hit any type of hill or have to walk for a second it's a painfully slow pace. So, I usually end up in a space bar pressing marathon raising and lowering fists, and the worst part is you have to stop for it to actually change.

Also, the amount of huffing and puffing your character does in every other stance/pace is pretty horrible. Stepping up a ledge shouldn't put you out of breath. Walking with a rifle shouldn't either. That stuff isn't as bad, it's just balance issues that will be fixed in time I hope.

If I could suggest a fix I would say switch the fists up & down. So the best way to move is with lowered fists, and when you are forced to walk/vault you aren't moving around like a boxer.

Well obviously they have to patch that exploit. Because it's not fixed as of today doesn't mean you gotta use it tho.

I still fail to see what is so OP about it...everyone can do it, so it's a level playing field...

and it really only makes you slightly faster, so what's the point?

Because you can sprint forever and not get fatigued. Compared to all the other movements it's overpowered.

Well obviously they have to patch that exploit. Because it's not fixed as of today doesn't mean you gotta use it tho.

It kind of does, because it's the fastest means of travel. When I'm running for my life I'm not going to pick a slower pace because the fastest is broken.