h4mm3rston3

A few features, items and changes I'd like to see.

Note that this is merely suggestions/opinions without much thought of the effects they would have on the game and balancing. I apologise if you have seen some of these suggestions before.

I generally dislike suggestion threads but playing DayZ I couldn’t help but to think about what I’d like added. So, I’ve been writing down some ideas for the past 50 hrs of game time and thought I might as well post them on the forum.

1. Features:
  • Rifle scopes can be used as binoculars in hand.
  • Weather conditions - Ranging levels of temperature, moisture and wind speeds. Wind clearly heard and affects temperature, moisture affecting hydration and temperature. Temperature affecting energy.

• Radiation storms can blow over Chernarus. Can kill or injure if you do not find shelter or protective clothing.

• Locked rooms and safes. E.g. a policeman may have keys for a locked cell door or a gun safe. You’re able to force entry but this requires special tools and takes time.

• Sun glasses darkens vision slightly and prevents blinding sunlight (as does caps to some degree).

• Faster Night and Day cycle and zombies more active and bigger threat at night. (2x real time?)

• Gun jamming - depending on the quality of weapons and ammo, weapons might jam when fired. Resolved by an animation or reloading. The gun will jam more often when in bad condition instead of being less accurate.

• Simple skills and traits - Acquired over time or by using books. E.g. medicine books found in hospitals, hunting books found in cottages or mechanics books found in garages. Not substantial improvements. The more you run the better your condition will be. The more you chop wood the faster you will get. The more animals you skin the faster you will get etc.

• Once dead you are presented with a map of Chernarus with a dotted line marking where you've traveled. You can easily forget how much ground you've actually covered and it would reward players for staying alive and exploring. Could also mark kills. Statistics of: how far you’ve traveled, average speed, shots fired, food eaten, times injured etc. You'd be able to post it online along with some statistics and perhaps screenshots. General information like, what diseases you’ve had and cause of death.

• Speed and fatigue depending on your gear and how much you're carrying with you.

• The effect of temporary distorted and lost hearing or tinnitus if shooting loud weapons without any kind of hearing protection or silencing.

• Wet and dirty textures for clothing. Ground gets muddy after rain and by ponds. Run around and your shoes and lower part of legs become dirty and if you lay down or roll around you’d be partially or completely covered in mud.

• Sites/areas of extreme pollution, around factories etc. Hard to access without safety equipment. (Mask, suits, geiger counter etc.)

• When you bleed you will leave blood marks on the ground. This makes it easier to track you while injured.

• Shooting or hitting someone in for example the leg can break the bone crippling the victim.

• Blunt weapons has a very low chance of causing bleeding as opposed to sharp weapons, but easily cripples and knocks out.

• Depending on the type of ammunition, bullets can get stuck in the body preventing wounds from healing and cause infections. Can be solved with proper or improper tools which should be sterile.

• Heart beat heard as blood passes your ear. An indication of exhaustion or chock.

1. Changes:

• Gun shots should get a significant boost in volume and the sound should be modulated depending on where you shoot, e.g. echo. You don’t shoot as often as in other games and I think firing a weapon should be really loud and scary for both the one shooting and the one being shot at.
  • Make it possible to limp with broken leg with a penalty to energy. Slightly faster than crawling.

• Overall it should be much harder to find fully automatic and high powered weapons. Small arms weapons could be more common along with some ammo but rifles should be more restricted. Hunting rifles are fairly common. Assault rifles should perhaps only spawn in gun safes or locked rooms which require a key or a set of tools and time to get into.

• Fast reload between full magazines but a long animation for filling magazines with ammunition in your inventory. Quality of magazines could affect the time this takes.

• Speed and sway of bullets affected by wind speeds. Implement simple wind speed instrument?

• More recoil for rifles and heavy handguns.

1. Items:

• Pocket Raincoat that goes over existing clothing. Military and civilian. (weather?)
  • Walkie talkie for radio com between players. (Manual frequency and req. batteries.) Ability to eavesdrop other players.
  • Thermos for storing hot or cold liquids. (weather?)

• Lightsticks that you can throw or mount on clothing/gear. Not dependent on being dry.

• Flare gun Very rare, found in emergency service buildings.

• Simple thermometer (if weather and temperature is implemented).

• Sharpening stone for axes and knives.

• Craftable silencer Bulky and ineffective. Made with metal/plastic and cloth.

• Rifle sling Allow for more than one rifle to be carried over the shoulder. (Heavy to carry, instead of backpack? Noisy?)

• Alarm traps crafted from wire and empty cans that make a sound when a player walks over them.

• Face paint or mud for camouflage (paint lasts longer).

• Small caliber hunting rifle. Low recoil, low damage, lower noise, more common.

Edited by H4MM3RSTON3
  • Like 8

Some items you mentioned are already in the game, such as Stones, Walkie Talkie

However, some great suggestions are listed.

Edited by TedZ

i REALLY like the suggestion with the dotted line on a map after you die, that would be GREAT ! :D

great, specially radiations storms wich you have to stay inside a house or wear special cothes to protect you. I turned Chernarus more dangerous ;)

Can't really go wrong with most of these ideas. This is really the stuff that would make DayZ great. Only thing i dislike are the areas that require special clothing. Doesn't click for me

Looks like a good list. I do disapprove of the higher recoil though. What we have at the moment seems to work well enough.

I assume "heavy handguns" includes the current revolver. Most .357s dont have that much recoil though. If they add .44 mags and pistols of equal or higher power into the game, then of course recoil will have to scale with bullet size. (They also better be one hit kills. No f-ing way you're gonna take a bullet from something like that and walk away. Maybe missing a limb could be the least amount of dmg.)

Edited by MystoganXIX

Alright, its review time!

All around 99% of your ideas are awesome, so you can already count on my beans but I feel like giving some commentary.

1.) Already kinda possible but I do agree this should be made easier.

2.) Starting to get implanted but I hope it gets as cool as you thought it up.

3.) The game is more in a 28 days later world then a fallout world so I wouldn't really find radioactive storms fitting. Maybe if it had some kind of background story around it.

4.) Already suggested here

5.) Already suggested here

6.) I say no to faster day and night but I say absolutely yes to more dangerous zombies at night.

7.) Yes, just yes.

8.) Already suggested somewhere.

9.) This is something of discussion and I would suggest to give it its own topic.

10.) Already suggested somewhere.

11.) Have all the beans.

12.) Great idea for later in the development.

13.) Same reason as number 3.

14.) Already going to be implanted in the future.

15.) Already suggested here

16.) Again something that needs its own topic.

17.) ^

18.) Have all food.

19.) Looks like a good idea but need to be discussed on its own topic.

20.) Been suggested multiple times.

21.) Needs its own topic.

22.) ^

23.) ^

I am not going to comment on the items. Again great work.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Appreciate the review basinox. Although to be fair, the threads you linked are actually posted at later dates than mine :) 

I tried to make a numbered list for easier referring but for some reason it wouldn't let me..

I wanted to make a compilation and keep it short and I agree that many of these suggestions could require separate threads.

Perhaps I'll get around to make threads for more specific discussions and link them in this list.

Some items you mentioned are already in the game, such as Stones...

Does regular stones improve the quality blade-weapons? Haven't come across any sharpening stones.

Good suggestions! Beans!

But about faster night/day cycles, it should stay as it is. Real time, and not 30 minutes of day and 30 minutes of night - Would totally break immersion and realism.

Good suggestions! Beans!

But about faster night/day cycles, it should stay as it is. Real time, and not 30 minutes of day and 30 minutes of night - Would totally break immersion and realism.

I agree, too fast would not be good. Although I would like say 2 days over the course of one day IRL.

But this is personal preference and I suppose it will be possible to edit on individual servers later on.

Edited by H4MM3RSTON3