Sign in to follow this  
terminal_boy

Possible "stutter" Reduction - Unparking Cpu Cores.

Saw this on Overclockers UK.

It appears that Windows likes to park CPU cores to save power. This can make some multi-core applications lag slightly.

When you un-park cores, it just means that Windows has all cores pre-enabled to be used when called upon. It doesn't mean that the un-parked cores are running at 100% all the time.

Un-parking utility and more info here:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility.

Have yet to check my home gaming PC, but my Bootcamped MacBook Pro had all cores parked..

• Like 2

This is one of the things you always need to make sure is not happening when gaming.

A lot of things can be changed using your mode in regards to powersaving, as it's by default always trying to throttle everything (including your HDD's and CPU's), even though you would like to have 100%, as you're not worrying about your electricity bill at that point anyway.

:beans:

Even though I only just saw, that it is using a program to change things. If possible, always try to do it yourself, as you know what's going on and what you did. And it can also have negative impacts on your performance when using third party programs to try and make your PC faster. Sounds weird, but happens. Always take a look out and monitor yourself - don't trust thridparty programs 100%.

Edited by kichilron

Please post a follow up on whether or not this works.

Will do, but I haven't seen more than the odd, occasional stutter with the SA (or ArmA 3) to date.

This hardly made any difference for Day Z ,  but its' still worth doing alongside the other common fixes- the best things you can do is set steam launch options to your number of cores.

cpucore=4, exthreads=7 , maxmemory=4gb.. follow other threads for full details but their the best fixes for me...

and then change both the gpu render ahead to 1 in your config, disable in game v sync, ambient occlusion, and fxaa very low for AA

Use Nvidia control panel V Sync or gpu v sync rather than in game, change Nvidia GPU render ahead to 1

Edited by AgentNe0

Tried it, didn't do jack shit. Windows is not an issue here, it's the game who can't handle multiple cores.

nope, it handles multiple cores. The issue is that it is inefficient.