Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

The Zombie Ai Is Actually Really Good So Far. But No One Seems To Notice.

The zombie AI is actually really good so far. but no one seems to notice.

A few things I observed:

1. Zombies can spot you on far distances if you stay in their field of vision and move upright.

2. They appear to need some time to "lock on" before they start chasing you. This means you can quickly run through their field of vision without them locking on to you. I think there is a timeframe that a zombie needs to decide on wether what he sees is a player or not, perhaps its even a bit random. I guess we never will know.

3. You can sneak up on them from behind, walk slowly and crouched, then you can walk right up behind them. However if you do it on roads or concrete, they appear to hear your footsteps and will notice (Arma2 already had this feature, enemy AI could hear your footsteps depending on what material you are on).

Just wanted to point this out because I see so many complain about "bad AI" because the game realistically allows a zombie to see you on 200m. And that is a working feature. Far better than some stupid 50m aggro radius like in an MMO where you can always be sure how safe you are.

They dont really have AI. They just chase you if you are in their line of site, which stretches very far.They dont respond to your actions the way one would expect of typical AI. They just bee line for players untill they dont see them anymore. If this is good AI to you, you'be been playing some pretty awful games.

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 4

That is what a zombie does, he chases after you in a straight line, once he has a lock. However the whole perception part is quite advanced.

The AI is not advanced at all, but is it good?

With some tweaking and balancing to spotting, speed, and such, then yes, I think that the zeds are pretty good.

(Also make them not clip through walls please)

Idk what crappy zombie games you've been playing, but the zombie AI has been said to be a placeholder and largely incomplete by someone...

crap...who said that.....

Oh it was Dean :P

and you're right, the zombies do run in STRAIGHT LINES...much unlike an actually zombie might do. xD

• Like 1

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre ...

• Like 1

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK!! ...

fixed that for you..

• Like 4

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK!!

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK WHILE OBSTRUCTED BY AN OBJECT...

Fixed ya both :P

• Like 3

Hahahahaha so true xD .... all the beans for you both xD

So many times I have seen a zombie far in the distance behind me and the F***** catches up to me as I loot a town .... well played zombie, you worked for your food.

Edited by faramon

faramon, on 29 Jan 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:snapback.png

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK!!

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK WHILE OBSTRUCTED BY AN OBJECT...

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK WHILE OBSTRUCTED BY AN OBJECT... OR TWO OBJECTS... OR TWO F&&KING HOUSES AND A HOSPITAL.

Fixed that for all of you :)

• Like 1

... and to end the sentence for us all.

... And then the zombie runs through every object and wall like a god damn ghost...

Edited by faramon
  • Like 2

and you're right, the zombies do run in STRAIGHT LINES...much unlike an actually zombie might do. xD

Huh? I would be very interested in hearing your observations on how an "actual zombie" would run.

• Like 3

I do love how their sight line distance can be like a full kilometre IN PITCH DARK WHILE OBSTRUCTED BY AN OBJECT... OR TWO OBJECTS... OR TWO F&&KING HOUSES AND A HOSPITAL.

Fixed that for all of you :)

ok guys you are making shit up.

I tested the following thingsand what you guys claim is not true

1. Zombies can not detect you through massive solid objects. And that includes anything solid, houses, large wooden fences, large vehicles.

2. Zombies cant see in the dark. Remember early in the retail when all servers were dark? You actually had to walk right next to one for them to notice you. That is a definitive, they dont have good night vision or hearing.

3. If you claim they saw you through buildings it is probably because you made too much noise.

4. You should be aware that all arma games have a very detailed ai code that handles how well they see something (for the mission editor geeks: "knowsabout"). It is not just see or cant see. The ai can have different steppings of what they see.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout

(scroll down to end of the page, the paste below messed up the formatting)

Arma-II OA (1.62.101.480 @ACE), tests with infantry: It is still true, that the command returns values between 0 (lowest) and 4 (most). Frehsly Spotted units will have at least 1.5, slowly decreasing when the target disappeared. The following Table shows my test results on a clear day at Takistan using the Vector. Please note that the returned values vary considerably depending on weather and time. Moonlight however seems to not have any considerable effect. 12:00, sunlight, clear sky 21:00, bright half moon, clear sky 23:00, pitch black, clear sky, NVG on Distance knowsAbout 1530 1.5 1370 1.5 1250 1.5 1135 1.5 1055 1.52 1022 1.64 990 1.74 833 2.5 720 3.37 600 3.81 505 3.86 400 3.92 380 4 365 4 Distance knowsAbout 285 1.5 120 1.5 88 1.89 75 2.3 61
Edited by alleycat

Saw two old zombies attack a new military zombie. That was pretty special. He must have smelled good.

I play a lot in the dark and believe me Z's can see in the dark after the last patch, no if and or buts about it..

• Like 1

I play a lot in the dark and believe me Z's can see in the dark after the last patch, no if and or buts about it..

I think it depends on "how dark" and how far they see. In no light nights (no moonlight) or shorty before sunrise you can run past them quite close without setting off

... and to end the sentence for us all.

... And then the zombie runs through every object and wall like a god damn ghost...

Oh man you just found solution to fix Dayz - Rocket just need to make them bit transparent and call them ghosts :)

gliching throught walls will be perfectly fine ....

• Like 1

And all our weapons will fire rocksalt instead!

My vast knowledge of Supernatural is finally going to pay off HUZZAH! xDDD

it can be pitch dark, the worst is the silent ones that don't scream out, all you hear are the footsteps running at you, they see as well in the dark as in daylight if you are in their direct line of sight. at least sometimes you hear them aggro, but at times you don't, I've nearly had several heart attacks because of it..

Huh? I would be very interested in hearing your observations on how an "actual zombie" would run.

ah-HA! Thank you for asking :D

So right now the zombies run in straight lines the majority of the time to your previous location they saw you at. When I am running from a zombie most of the time in this game, they have a very geometrical and straight running path

A zombie has historically been able to turn and adjust their angle as they run. 

The red arrow indicates the play movement and direction

The black line in the respective sides represents the zombie's movement in relation to the player

testttt.gif

In other words, the X value of the zombie should always be adjusting in relation to the position of the player running. A zombie doesn't get to where it saw the human and say "oh wait, he's not here, he's over that way" and adjust accordingly. 

and there you go :P

• Like 2

I think zombies are pretty good right now, their detection just needs to be tweaked. Sometimes you can walk up to them and they won't see you but you'll aggro three from 200 meters away. And I'm 100% sure the zombie's no clip will be fixed.

I don't have a lot to say about the AI, I mean they can go upstairs but you have to be standing at the top with them at the bottom for that to work properly. I'm just glad for the slowly increasing amounts, The other day I decided to practice my shooting and it ended up with me getting mobbed.  My wish is that they would fix the whole stand there like an idiot when changing weapons but WTF right? it's alpha.

No., they are really not, this is so far mistaken it hurts my eyes to read it. The zombies are broken. They stand still. These are supposed to viscous cannibalistic animals that can smell flesh and blood and will tear towards you and nothing will stop them feeding. In S.A the zombies STAND STILL even when you are right near them.

They should have enhanced vision and smell, and should never be stood stationary., Either their roaming, wandering around , stumbling along roads, or their chasing you, or their eating you. Zombies dont just stand still and then wander towards you while you run around them in circles.

We need hordes of angry zombies that kill you almost instantly. Make it harder :D

• Like 1

funy thing is that best Zed AI was in first few weeks when Dayz mod was released - thay was almost perfect.

I could crawl near them without being noticed even in day time - but if some one noticed me - I was fucked, because I got almost all of them on me.

It was hard just to run away. Zeds was real threat

yes thay gliched through walls etc - every one know that - and was prepared - never stood at walls

and then Rockets team runined them big time. I dont rember me crowling in Dayz for a long time already

So far in Dayz SA Zeds I met are totaly unpredictable - I can crouch near ones 10m away but one 300m away already see me and runig to me.