Sign in to follow this  
Klip

A Question About Damaged Mosin Components.

From what I hear, it matters to a certain degree what condition your mosin and the specific attachments are in. I seem to read a lot that the rifle itself and the long range scope (assuming you use it) should both be in pristine condition, as a badly damaged scope/rifle hits the accuracy badly.

Well, my question is...what about the atlas bipod and the compensator?  say i have a pristine rifle with a pristine scope, but both the bipod and the compensator are badly damaged. Do these two parts even impact anything in this condition (as in, negatively impact the aim/accuracy/etc)? should I be attempting to get them both in pristine quality? (and try and stay alive in the process, of course) ?    

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure how much the bipod and compensator affect the accuracy of the mosin but I do know that the scopes condition is really important if you're looking to get some accurate shots. I'd use the bipod and compensator anyway but just to be safe search for any pristine versions and test out the difference between the two

I didn't think the compensator increased accuracy, irl they are to reduce kick which makes it faster to line up the second shot.

I didn't think the compensator increased accuracy, irl they are to reduce kick which makes it faster to line up the second shot.

Actually Dean recently commented in a stream (Sacriel42's 100k stream to be precise) that in the current build, the compensator just reduces bullet dispersion. this is a temporary behaviour while they continue to balance weapons and attachments, but that is what it does right now.

To the OP however, I am uncertain of exactly how much damaged attachments actually affect your shots with a Mosin, but I have never noticed a degrading bipod affect my shot. That said, I prefer the M4 anyway, so I'm certainly no expert on the Mosin.

• Like 1

Actually Dean recently commented in a stream (Sacriel42's 100k stream to be precise) that in the current build, the compensator just reduces bullet dispersion. this is a temporary behaviour while they continue to balance weapons and attachments, but that is what it does right now.

To the OP however, I am uncertain of exactly how much damaged attachments actually affect your shots with a Mosin, but I have never noticed a degrading bipod affect my shot. That said, I prefer the M4 anyway, so I'm certainly no expert on the Mosin.

Thanks, good to know now I know what I lost last night when a server wouldn't let me join and reset my char lol alpha!

I guess the easiest way to test it would be to fire test shots using a set of pristine compensator+bipod then compare it when using a set of badly damaged compensator+bipod. If I had the pristine sets I could check it myself, naturally.  We must find out if the condition of these matter! for science.

I'm curious about this issue as well. Thanks for starting this thread Klip. Surely someone out there has the requisite items to test the impact condition has on weapon parts.

Edited by worst2first

I found a Ruined Long Range scope on a geared dead body and it worked flawlessly. No cracks in lens or anything.

Should PM Gews about this if he doesn't reply to this topic, as it's quite an interesting question.

Not familiar with the person as I'm quite new here, but seems like a thought as the theory of bipod/compenstaor condition appears to be untested thus far.

The Long Range Scope's scope does not appear shattered when it's damaged, the only drawback to having a non-pristine scope is that the shot veers off to the left the more damaged it is.

I was testing a "damaged" compensator early this morning at about 850 meters. it didnt detract or improve the accuracy of the gun at all, and if there was any recoil reduction I didnt notice it. I keep it on just because it looks cool and I like shiny things.

Edited by Khrony

From what I hear, it matters to a certain degree what condition your mosin and the specific attachments are in. I seem to read a lot that the rifle itself and the long range scope (assuming you use it) should both be in pristine condition, as a badly damaged scope/rifle hits the accuracy badly.

Well, my question is...what about the atlas bipod and the compensator?  say i have a pristine rifle with a pristine scope, but both the bipod and the compensator are badly damaged. Do these two parts even impact anything in this condition (as in, negatively impact the aim/accuracy/etc)? should I be attempting to get them both in pristine quality? (and try and stay alive in the process, of course) ?    

Yes the bipod DEFINITELY affects accuracy at mid to long range if it is damaged or badly damaged. Worn doesnt seem to be an issue but the last two most certainly have a painful negative affect on a long range shot. As someone who exclusively uses long range rifles in both the mod and the SA I have learned that these parts should always be as nice as possible for accuracy. The compensator (from what i can tell) only negatively affects the shot if it is badly damaged or ruined.   

Hope that this helps. :D