Sign in to follow this  
dirtbikr98

Ear Damage

My suggestion is about ear protection. When I say ear protection, I mean something like this:

56A4M9HH.jpg

How It Works

When you shoot any type of weapon, there should be consequences. If you're not wearing ear protection then you slowly (and i mean very slowly) begin to lose hearing. Guns such as the Revolver, Mosin, and Shotgun should do more hear damage then the FNX Pistol and M4. When guns are silenced then there should be no need for the ear protectors. For every bullet fired, the sound will do 'x' amount of damage to your ears, dropping your hearing sensitivity slightly. When other people fire weapons, it should do no damage.

The Item

The actually ear protector item should be military loot and spawn at the military camp and other areas that military loot would spawn. It should be a more common item to find.

• Like 5

Sounds more like a mil-sim thing. Neat idea, but too much for Dayz. Heck.. they don't even do this level of stuff in Arma.

• Like 5

Sounds more like a mil-sim thing. Neat idea, but too much for Dayz. Heck.. they don't even do this level of stuff in Arma.

There's a mod for ArmA 3 that I've been using that changes the sounds to sound more realistic (because apparently the company making the game couldn't >.>). One of its features is sustained automatic fire, large arms fire, and explosions will cause ringing that gets louder/lasts longer depending on how strong the causes were.

• Like 2

I think if you started with this kind of long-term effects, there are other more important topics. Diseases like rabies, influenza or ingame learned phobias, scars, malnutrition and many other things. If these kinds of effects would be part of the game I'd say: Yes. This is a good addition.

Edited by jayleann
  • Like 1

I don't see there being a way to realistically implement this, seeing as I know people who have fired loud guns all their lives, and hear fine.

Maybe if something extremely loud (e.g. 249, PKM, etc) was added and fired too close to someone, they could experience a ringing of the ears, and eventually loss of hearing all together.

No, I didn't get this idea from ACE... Not at all...

I don't see there being a way to realistically implement this, seeing as I know people who have fired loud guns all their lives, and hear fine.

Maybe if something extremely loud (e.g. 249, PKM, etc) was added and fired too close to someone, they could experience a ringing of the ears, and eventually loss of hearing all together.

No, I didn't get this idea from ACE... Not at all...

They were probably wearing at least earplugs.

249, PKM, fire the 5.56, same as M16.  If anything, it is probably quieter thanks to barrel length.

I am going to imagine that every soldier in arma wore earplugs, like in real life.

They were probably wearing at least earplugs.

249, PKM, fire the 5.56, same as M16.  If anything, it is probably quieter thanks to barrel length.

I'm not talking about people firing things such as 249s. I'm talking about other rifles, shotguns etc.

No ear protection was worn.

There's a mod for ArmA 3 that I've been using that changes the sounds to sound more realistic (because apparently the company making the game couldn't >.>). One of its features is sustained automatic fire, large arms fire, and explosions will cause ringing that gets louder/lasts longer depending on how strong the causes were.

I stand corrected... sorry.

That is pretty neat for arma. I still question whether it belongs in Dayz. I personally don't think so. There is a lot of focus in the forums on making the game more realistic. Some of it I can get behind, some not. I think there is a really gray line between keeping the game fun and accessible, and then making it just a pain in the butt to deal with. I really don't want to worry about my hearing.. There are a lot more fun things to worry about in game.

• Like 1

Oh nice suggestion, I mean, it's not like it's been suggested 10+ times before -_-

• Like 1

I'm not talking about people firing things such as 249s. I'm talking about other rifles, shotguns etc.

That's not a really good idea, very dumb, regardless if it doesn't SEEM to have effects now.

It is like saying, "Hey its ok to play with fire, I haven't burned down the house (yet) just scorched my desk a little."

Still not ok to play with fire.

I stand corrected... sorry.

That is pretty neat for arma. I still question whether it belongs in Dayz. I personally don't think so. There is a lot of focus in the forums on making the game more realistic. Some of it I can get behind, some not. I think there is a really gray line between keeping the game fun and accessible, and then making it just a pain in the butt to deal with. I really don't want to worry about my hearing.. There are a lot more fun things to worry about in game.

If footsteps/player sounds were redone (as they hopefully will be) to have a bigger affect on the game, I would like sound affects for bullets passing by/being louder/hearing their impacts/etc. I don't think they belong in the game right now, or on their own; features would have to be added to give it relevancy.

also a loud bang would make you perma-deaf. because that would be realistic in some cases. have fun playing then buhahahaha!

too much realism is too much.

this has already been discussed many times on the forums. some people say they are for it because DayZ is all about realism. Others think it's just another item you have to put on. I say it could totally change firefights. If you don't have ear plugs on you will get ringing in your ear for a minute or so and wouldnt be able to hear anything. If you do have them on you won't get ringing but sound becomes muffled.

Edited by joeymp

So ringing sound prevents me from hearing anything?

That's not a really good idea, very dumb, regardless if it doesn't SEEM to have effects now.

It is like saying, "Hey its ok to play with fire, I haven't burned down the house (yet) just scorched my desk a little."

Still not ok to play with fire.

Ok, you tell my 77 year old grandfather to wear ear protection. Let me know how it goes.

I'm just saying you don't need ear protection for smaller weapons.

IMO a very bad idea, no matter how small the change in hearing is I don't want to be enforced to use certain items to make sure my guy doesn't go near deaf because I enjoy firing my gun in a game about shooting stuff.

• Like 1

IMO a very bad idea, no matter how small the change in hearing is I don't want to be enforced to use certain items to make sure my guy doesn't go near deaf because I enjoy firing my gun in a game about shooting stuff.

^Extremely good point!

I would say it sounds feasible to have a simple system, like being dazed upon being shot. Urinating, defecating and the addition of cholera are far more interesting than all these little details people are suggesting IMO. They should take precedence. You can spend a lifetime trying to add all these little things and it will just get harder and harder.

it would ruin the game experience, can´t hear if you shoot whiteout ear protection 

@daemonowner

As much as I'm really not for it, I'd take hearing changes any day over urination/defecation. Your not going to be able to track somebody by their crap. It's not going to be a huge inconvenience, just more clutter to lag out the servers. The only time I see the latter affecting gameplay would be in a firefight and guess what... If I had to shit/piss in a real firefight..... just go man... just go. better to be shitty and alive then clean and dead. There.. piss and shit debate negated from now until the end of time. It would have zero functional impact in the game. if you want to deal with going to the bathroom, go buy a tomagotchi pet. 

This "game" is not a hard core survival simulator and some things are just too ridiculous to put in the game. 

/breath

Edited by wolf-mind

this has already been discussed many times on the forums. some people say they are for it because DayZ is all about realism AUTHENTICITY. Others think it's just another item you have to put on. I say it could totally change firefights. If you don't have ear plugs on you will get ringing in your ear for a minute or so and wouldnt be able to hear anything. If you do have them on you won't get ringing but sound becomes muffled.

In a given light, the only way I can really see this having any major effect on a person is if their ear is right beside the end of the muzzle. When firing a weapon outdoors, you are behind the sound as it is projected mostly forward. Even 50 ft away it wouldn't really do that much damage. The most sound a gun makes from the opposite end (say if you're being fired upon) is the super-sonic pop when you're talking distances. Indoors, yes I can see that.

My suggestion is about ear protection. When I say ear protection, I mean something like this:

56A4M9HH.jpg

How It Works

When you shoot any type of weapon, there should be consequences. If you're not wearing ear protection then you slowly (and i mean very slowly) begin to lose hearing. Guns such as the Revolver, Mosin, and Shotgun should do more hear damage then the FNX Pistol and M4. When guns are silenced then there should be no need for the ear protectors. For every bullet fired, the sound will do 'x' amount of damage to your ears, dropping your hearing sensitivity slightly. When other people fire weapons, it should do no damage.

The Item

The actually ear protector item should be military loot and spawn at the military camp and other areas that military loot would spawn. It should be a more common item to find.

Reminds me of the stupid idea about implementing dental hygiene. On the other hand, I could see this working as a temporary penalty i.e. when you shoot your hearing is x% less for x amount of seconds depending on the weapon type used and depending on whether you are using ear plugs or not.