razzmatazz

Don't punish bandits; reward survivors

I like this idea. Better gear or not, KOS bandits are going to do just that, and they'll kill you for even brandishing a pistol before knowing if you even have anything else on you. While this rewards cooperative play, it still allows for PvP opportunity without giving a bandit obviously away with a skin change.

Besides, there's probably more than a few self-righteous kids shooting bandits on sight for the ironic reason that they're "bad people". Without a skin-change, going on witch hunts will be far more difficult, and trusting others will be a matter of strategy, not "LOL U R BANDIT SKIN U R BAD NO TEAMWORK FOR U BOOOOOM HEADSHAWT!"

I could be wrong on that. I've never actually been a bandit.

You could give back the starting makarov, but only to the players with a high humanity.

They proved they will use it to defend themselves or to help other players.

Survivors would still have a really good buff, but unarmed bandits wouldn't be able to kill them,

and armed bandit wouldn't need to, as the makarov is a really poor weapon.

Unfortunately, Srellian, that's an unrealistic solution when this game is trying to be realistic as possible (hence one of the reasons they removed Makarovs in the first place).

The idea of someone starting with a gun and another person not is also quite unfair, even if they've proven themselves to have 'good karma' for lack of a better term.

One of the most common arguments against this suggestion seems to be along the lines of "bandits will kill survivors for better gear." That is already happening. Bandits already kill on sight before knowing what gear you have. Giving survivors slightly better odds of finding loot will not change this bandit behavior at all.

Also, I don't think the leaderboards have much to do with it. There were lots of bandits before the leaderboards went up. That suggests that the game itself does not do enough to incentivize cooperative play.

[survivors should start with a makarov and bandits should start without a weapon.]

Unfortunately' date=' Srellian, that's an unrealistic solution when this game is trying to be realistic as possible (hence [i']one of the reasons they removed Makarovs in the first place).

The idea of someone starting with a gun and another person not is also quite unfair, even if they've proven themselves to have 'good karma' for lack of a better term.

I don't really see how Srellian's suggestion is unrealistic. It would be more realistic for everyone to not start with the same starting gear. It's not necessarily even unfair. If someone chooses to be a bandit knowing that they will not spawn with weapon, that was the path they chose. However, I think the real problem would be that survivors would feel free to kill newly-spawned persons who don't have guns because they might be a bandit. Since the bandit would have low humanity, it wouldn't count as a murder, and the survivor wouldn't be punished.

Atleast this is an idea thats not just obviously formed out of frustration over getting shot. Id drop the humanity system because i think thats dumb and more reason for a bandit to kil you the not. But good concept mahope rocket picks this up

id force bandits to survive on their own, never being able to finish the game, where as survivors would have an end game goal of reaching an extraction site, while anyone bandit or person with a murder on their account would be shot on sight.

id force bandits to survive on their own' date=' never being able to finish the game, where as survivors would have an end game goal of reaching an extraction site, while anyone bandit or person with a murder on their account would be shot on sight.

[/quote']

I personally don't see this game as having an "end game." Why would you want to spend time collecting loot when the real goal is to just reach a point on the map?

id force bandits to survive on their own' date=' never being able to finish the game, where as survivors would have an end game goal of reaching an extraction site, while anyone bandit or person with a murder on their account would be shot on sight.

[/quote']

I personally don't see this game as having an "end game." Why would you want to spend time collecting loot when the real goal is to just reach a point on the map?

What your'e saying is true, looting is a big part of the mod and there is not a huge need for a ending, since it kinda ends when you die. But what if the extraction is not just a fixed position on the map, instead it would be random and it would occur at random times? Radios would need to be implemented and maybe have the rescuers broadcast an emergency broadcast stating the rescue area and time of it? that way players don't really know that there is a rescue going on unless they are in possession of a radio or are teamed up with a survivor who has it.

[/quote']

What your'e saying is true, looting is a big part of the mod and there is not a huge need for a ending, since it kinda ends when you die. But what if the extraction is not just a fixed position on the map, instead it would be random and it would occur at random times? Radios would need to be implemented and maybe have the rescuers broadcast an emergency broadcast stating the rescue area and time of it? that way players don't really know that there is a rescue going on unless they are in possession of a radio or are teamed up with a survivor who has it.

But why would a player choose the be rescued? Then they would just have to start over with no gear. Functionally, it would be like dying.

If you really want to make PVP more controlled by game engine then do it in easy way. Punish and compensate in same moment. Once victim got killed one item from bandit equip goes to survivor(on his next respawn). Because it is murder you can try to transfer rare items. And that's it. Btw this is all abouso called criminology. Risk and reward question and the most effective way how to fight the crime.

But I would like to stress out the background of this game. So detection of crime show be very low. So this what I propose should not work on 100% of cases, let's say only there is 15% change bandit got detected and punished.

Remove bandits from the leader boards completely and just honor good men and women.

I feel very stupid now for not thinking of that.:dodgy: A very good idea.

YEP....remove their pride LOL.No chance to be on the leader board is incentive to steer a straight line.Kinda like in real life but instead we are being steered by Gods law of not being a killer.In game though itsdifferent as its just that' date='a game.Everyone can be a killer and then turn around and say AWW mom we ate chicken nuggets last night:@

I was also thinking a bounty depending on your murder count but that makes the world seem to too controlled instead of the chaos that a post apocalyptic world would be.

[hr']

How about giving a sort of bad luck to murderers by spawning them new in areas of high bandit activity. ;)

Maybe more bad luck by having a bandits sound and view difficulty very slightly more harsh.

Remove all stats but days survived (imo) :P .

Yes it is impossible to give players value as "human beings" in a game, so as loot is the only thing that everyone values there has to be some direct assoication between loot and players. The link in my signiture goes one step further than this idea and applies the risk/reward of PvP gloabally (see the thread to see what i mean) in a attempt to give everyone in the game a value to themselves as well as eachother.

Some sort of random "perk/skill" would actually be a very good way to give individuals a unique "intrinsic" value aside from loot...

The bounty is cool, but it would HAVE to be user made (IMO). There definatly needs to be a tool to help people self govern - but this would require the ability to identify everyone in the game as individuals (so they can be held accountable for their actions.)

I had a thought where a randomly generated number is associated with a player on spawn - this could then be displayed when you look at them (acting like the random features we naturally have). Maybe this "pyhisical" discription could be put on a wanted poster?