Sign in to follow this  
enablerbr

Just a thought for other new players to DayZ.

I see a few new players have some troubles with knowing which buildings can be entered and where places are in the world.

I have found that playing armory mode in Arma II: Operation Arrow head with objectives disabled a big help. I load up Chernarus map. I scout around it to get a feel for my barings and locations.

It has the advantages of no players to worry about. You get to find out which places have buildings you can enter. Where water sources are to refill water bottles.

It won't have the DayZ loot spawns in it. Least you'll get a better feel for things without the online presure.

Just thought I would share this. Incase it helps others.

ArmA II does come with DayZ like most people do not realize. A multiplayer equivalent of this is locking a server for only one player, which, in most cases, is generally frowned upon. Nice tip.

Showing initiative, kudos to you!

You can also use the editor to practice your land navigation.

In Options\Game Options\Difficulty, set "Extended map info" to Disabled; this way your position will not be shown on the map, just like in DayZ (and real life).

In the editor, place a unit on the map near Novy Sobor, which is near enough to the center of Chernarus. Team Leaders, Squad Leaders and Snipers will have a GPS receiver as well as a map and compass.

Set your unit's "Placement Radius" to 7000m or so; this will make your unit spawn at a random location practically anywhere on the map. Don't worry, you won't spawn in the ocean (no pun intended), although I have found myself knee deep in a pond once or twice.

Preview the mission.

Set yourself the task of working out where you spawned using terrain association, structures (the TV tower on Green Mountain can be seen from 3 or 4k away), resection, etc.

Once you have worked out where you think you are, use your GPS receiver to confirm and see how well you did. You can then set yourself some objectives like navigating your way to Devils' Castle or the Vybor airfield, whatever you want. Chernarus is your oyster.

With enough practice, not having a map in-game will be a non-issue; nobody can steal the one you keep in your head.

Besides, it is good fun too, IMHO.

As an aside, there are many on-line resources available if you want to learn more about creating custom missions using the editor; you should look into it if you haven't already.

Good luck, and keep below the ridge lines!

Wawazat I was wondering about how I would go about creating a random spawn along the south coast. So I'd get a feel for DayZ coastal spawns.

Wawazat I was wondering about how I would go about creating a random spawn along the south coast. So I'd get a feel for DayZ coastal spawns.

That would involve some scripting which I am by no means expert at.

Check out the Bohemia Interactive Community wiki site (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mission_Editor), Armaholic.com.

Download the "Arma 2 Editor Manual" and "Armed Assault Editing Guide - Deluxe Edition" by Mr. Murray.

All excellent resources.