Sign in to follow this  
blfonsworth

New Server, New Admin, Couple questions

Hello all, I'm now to server administration and need some help!

I recently started a new Epoch Chernarus server and need help with scripting it. I have the SARGE AI working great, I could not tell you how many AI have shot at me.. it worked first time which was awesome. I'm going to work on adjusting the settings on SARGE.

After SARGE was implemented I wanted to add the towing script. Myself and my co-admin searched a lot of resources and I thought I had installed correctly. I followed the install instructions found here:

It didnt work at all. So I checked around some more. I read somewhere that if you have an "addons" folder in your epoch pbo, you need to put the tow script there and adjust the path accordingly from "R3F_...." to "addons\R3F_..."

That didn't work at all

I tried changing the code from "execVM" to "#include" (the #include command is how I implemented the SARGE AI so I thought it would work with the towing ) .. still no towing in game.

I just read something else that says I may have to open the script and tell it which vehicles can and cannot tow...

Do I need to do that? That seems like a real time consuming task that would have been done when the script was originally written.

My next question is about a known type of hack I may have encountered last night. A guy came into my sever. I have a small group of friends who play there with me. Since it's new we have been trying to communicate with everyone we see that comes in. We've managed to snag a few permanent residents I think. Last night a guy came in and kept spamming side chat " / " with "Anyone want to team up?".. over and over.. We made contact with him, he said he was in Elektro and wanted to meet up with us. We were in Petrovka hunting down the SARGE AI (Still trying to test all the spawns to make sure they're working). We told him we were north of NWAF at Petrovka.. not 2 minutes later he started to say in chat "I can see you" "Stop or I'll shoot" (typing the whole time, never spoke over the mic). We thought maybe he saw some AI in Elektro (maybe the npc heli flying around or something) so we kind of ignored it and only responded once with "That's not us in elektro".

Next thing I know, a guy comes out of almost thin air (we were in the middle of the road and I suddenly saw him running up the road) and starts to shoot us with a silenced MP5.. somehow his MP5 was able to make one of our SUV's explode? That's not what concerns me.. I run a Day.st server and the host is kind enough to give you a 'debug' map or sorts where I can see where people are. It said he was still standing on the coast in Elektro. I even refreshed it several times. I could see us moving around in Petrovka but his dot was still on the coast.

We killed him and he got mad.

He started asking why we shot him (aside from him shooting at us and blowing up an SUV) I told him I didn't like people hacking my servers and I told him I could see him in two different places. I guess he didn't like that and started calling me a hacker (lol) b/c I wasn't logged in as admin at the time so *admin* didn't show next to my name.  So I logged in as an admin and kicked him ( I don't like banning ). He came right back in so I kicked him again. He didn't come back.

How did a guy on my server (which is brand new, less than a week old) come into elektro and within 2/3 minutes have a silenced weapon with quite a bit of ammo and be in petrovka shooting at me? Especially when my debug map on my server host shows him still sitting on the very edge of the coast in elektro? Is this a known hack?

Edited by BLFonsworth

As far as the guy in Elektro goes, 2 firestations. MP5SD is pretty common. Of ALL the guns in the game, why would a scripter pick an MP5?

As for him showing in Elektro when he wasnt, that map isn't exact and is in fact very unreliable for certain players. Might be ping related, I dunno, never bothered me much. I've seen it keep my player showing in the same spot for 1/2 hour or more when I was traveling around the map. 

Also, if it WAS a hacker, he would have come back on and insta-killed you no matter where he was. Been there, done that.

As for your script issues, I don't know. Towing/lift script makes Epoch way too easy IMO. Sarge can cause issues with a bunch of other add ons as well.

As far as the guy in Elektro goes, 2 firestations. MP5SD is pretty common. Of ALL the guns in the game, why would a scripter pick an MP5?

As for him showing in Elektro when he wasnt, that map isn't exact and is in fact very unreliable for certain players. Might be ping related, I dunno, never bothered me much. I've seen it keep my player showing in the same spot for 1/2 hour or more when I was traveling around the map. 

Also, if it WAS a hacker, he would have come back on and insta-killed you no matter where he was. Been there, done that.

As for your script issues, I don't know. Towing/lift script makes Epoch way too easy IMO. Sarge can cause issues with a bunch of other add ons as well.

Thanks for reply. I didn't ban him b/c like you said, I guess it's possible to pick up a mp5 sd quickly, however, running.. even driving, from Elektro to Petrovka takes more than 2-3 minutes. Not an exageration.. we had just stopped chatting with him about where we were and teaming up when he appeared on the road. It may be a ping issue with my map.. I could see other green dots moving but not his, that is what made me think he was running a script of some sort.

Is there a way for me to check if someone is running a script while they're in the server?

I've been on Epoch servers that had the tow script running and was wondering if it was done different since most installs I have seen are for vanilla dayz. I do agree with you that the tow script can be a bit OP but it's nice in certain situations. My only hesitation on it is the heli lift being super OP and really just overkill.

I've heard of SARGE causing issues with AI Mission packs. I think I'm sticking just with SARGE atm though. The AI mission packs show on the map and are pretty predictable.. I like not knowing if a bullet will wizz past you when you go into a town.. It makes you stay on your toes while looting or moving around since Zombies are only difficult in the beginning and only a irritant at most after you've played a while.

Edited by BLFonsworth

Thanks for reply. I didn't ban him b/c like you said, I guess it's possible to pick up a mp5 sd quickly, however, running.. even driving, from Elektro to Petrovka takes more than 2-3 minutes. Not an exageration.. we had just stopped chatting with him about where we were and teaming up when he appeared on the road. It may be a ping issue with my map.. I could see other green dots moving but not his, that is what made me think he was running a script of some sort.

Is there a way for me to check if someone is running a script while they're in the server?

I've been on Epoch servers that had the tow script running and was wondering if it was done different since most installs I have seen are for vanilla dayz. I do agree with you that the tow script can be a bit OP but it's nice in certain situations. My only hesitation on it is the heli lift being super OP and really just overkill.

I've heard of SARGE causing issues with AI Mission packs. I think I'm sticking just with SARGE atm though. The AI mission packs show on the map and are pretty predictable.. I like not knowing if a bullet will wizz past you when you go into a town.. It makes you stay on your toes while looting or moving around since Zombies are only difficult in the beginning and only a irritant at most after you've played a while.

You should have logs, this will allow you to check if he teleported around the map, or spawned a weapons crate, or even a vehicle. Besides the fact of the logs being checkable, Epoch 1.0.3.1 has a custom anti-hack installed, and I highly doubt he'd of got past that. It is possible, but I don't think he would have got past the anti-hack. Not even my tools would work due to it.