Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

My biggest issue with bandits is that they can sit somewhere in town prone' date=' be near impossible to spot, and zombies just ignore them(if they're on a roof or something)

[/quote']

YOU not being able to spot them doesn't make them hard to spot. And once they let out a shot, I assure you the zombies in the area will show you exactly where they are.

I used to gear up exclusively off of scrub bandits in cherno/elektro. Just run by, mak them in the head, take their pack/utility/guns/ammo/meds/etc, and run north. Now the coast is just a bunch of unarmed morons running around with 30 zombies in tow.

The current state of pvp makes as much sense as a soldier in Pearl Harbor watching planes smash into his fleet and deciding to pick up a rifle and open fire on the next person he sees.

Yeah. Great analogy. Except for the part where Pearl Harbor didn't destroy the entire world and go on for years and years and years and never end and kill anyone and everyone that soldier ever knew with no hope of humanity's recovery in this millennia nor likely the next.

You know, that little niggling detail might weigh on a person's psyche after awhile don't you think?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about your dual PhDs in psychology and post-apocalyptic anthropology. Tell us more about how you know exactly how humans would behave after the end of the world. I'm actually really interested, because personally I have absolutely no fucking idea and neither do you so please shelf this retarded argument already.

no hope of humanity's recovery in this millennia nor likely the next.

Really? So as soon as the dead get up' date=' everyone just forgets how to build, forgets how to cooperate, forgets how to do everything that keeps society going?

Oh, sorry. I forgot about your dual PhDs in psychology and post-apocalyptic anthropology. Tell us more about how you know exactly how humans would behave after the end of the world. I'm actually really interested, because personally I have absolutely no fucking idea and neither do you so please shelf this retarded argument already.

Why don't you show us your dual PhDs then? Since you seem to know that everyone would just kill anything that moves at the outset of the apocalypse, couldn't hurt to at least have some credentials to make your point seem more believable.

no hope of humanity's recovery in this millennia nor likely the next.

Really? So as soon as the dead get up' date=' everyone just forgets how to build, forgets how to cooperate, forgets how to do everything that keeps society going?

Why don't you show us your dual PhDs then? Since you seem to know that everyone would just kill anything that moves at the outset of the apocalypse, couldn't hurt to at least have some credentials to make your point seem more believable.

3Afl5.jpg

Honestly, there are so many people completely against PVP its rediculous.

People have suggested PvE/PvP servers... are you kidding me? that would be a total load of shit.

I'm a Bandit on occassion, i dont server hop, i dont stash anything anywhere, and i absolutely refuse to barb wire a building because ultimately the whole idea of it gives me the shits.

If i kill a player its generally for only a few reasons.

If they have a rifle and I have just a pistol.... i want that rifle.

if im hungry/thirsty and i feel its possible they have those supplies.

OR if its me or them.

I dont kill unarmed players for the most part because they have nothing I want. The only time I have was when I killed their heavily armed friend and dont really want them hanging around with some sort of vendetta.

Removing these elements is a poor idea, and seperating any servers would just mean you get selfish players hording supplies but instead of being able to take them by force.. now you get to sit there and watch them eat/drink what you need... unlucky.

I do understand that there are certainly players out there simply being twats cause they can.. you get that in cities.. its gunna happen.

I did like bandit skins though, I found it to be reasonable. I just wish people would stop carrying on like PvP is a part of the game that should never of existed. It just seems like people would rather outsmart AI instead of other people... cause that'd be surely more satisfying..

The new updates do focus more on survival and zombies, but personally, I think taking away side chat(or whatever it's called) doesn't really help co-op. People could go"Help, I'm dying, anyone willing to give me a transfusion?" And people would come, and you would probably eventually team up with them for a bit. Now you can't, although having no gun at the beginning does make everything less deathmatchy, even if it is a bit annoying for the first bit of playing.

I think the single most thing that can reduce the pk/deathmatch mentality while not removing pvp is to have more zombies, and/or make them harder to kill.

Bandits will be free to do their thing with the added difficulty of going it alone, and the pk/deathmatch wee-tards won't have it so easy, will get bored, and leave. Harder zombies also give more incentive to team up.

I'll kill a bandit/survivor because I need to, but I kill pk/deathmatchers on principal.

The new updates do focus more on survival and zombies' date=' but personally, I think taking away side chat(or whatever it's called) doesn't really help co-op. People could go"Help, I'm dying, anyone willing to give me a transfusion?" And people would come, and you would probably eventually team up with them for a bit. Now you can't, although having no gun at the beginning does make everything less deathmatchy, even if it is a bit annoying for the first bit of playing.

[/quote']

This is what I don't get. PvE players are completely willing to use global chat, but are completely UNwilling to meta the game via forums, teamspeak, etc, to find the same kind of help.

All I can say is that every single player you encounter who is a stranger will attempt to kill you, without exception.

ok maybe I exaggerate slightly, 99.472% of players that are strange to you will attempt to kill you. They will murder your ass, so join them! murder every god damned mother fucker that you see, run around avoiding nothing, get in a building, kill the zombie train, run some more, murder that god damned mother fucker, murder, murder MURDER!

This is what I don't get. PvE players are completely willing to use global chat' date=' but are completely UNwilling to meta the game via forums, teamspeak, etc, to find the same kind of help.

[/quote']

A lot of the PvE players are more casual / single-player / zombie focused. They might group up in game but they're unlikely to be part of a regular gang or PvP oriented social group I would suspect.

As i've said in similar topics' date=' the best way to discourage all the PvP deathmatching that's going on is to shift the emphasis back onto survival and zombies. Recent updates to the mod appear to have that goal in mind.

Also, introducing more features like blood transfusions which require players to cooperate with each other with probably go some way towards solving the problem.

[/quote']

Another failed argument. How am I tired of this. The harder the game - THE MORE PVP. Not other way around.

How how does grouping up works AGAINST bandits ?

The stuff that makes grouping up beneficial actually benefits THE BANDITS. Majority of players play alone. Bandits play in groups with ultra gear and vehicles.

This system is flawed completely.

Why don't you show us your dual PhDs then? Since you seem to know that everyone would just kill anything that moves at the outset of the apocalypse' date=' couldn't hurt to at least have some credentials to make your point seem more believable.

[/quote']

In what sense are my qualifications relevant? I'm not the one making demands of the designer to implement rules, restrictions and mechanics to force everyone else in the game to conform to my personal interpretation of what human behavior would be like.

I think the game works best when everyone gets to make their own interpretation and play the game in their own way, and we get to see how those different styles clash, collide and, at times rare, synchronize.

I'm not the one calling for Night of the Living Dead but please fast forward through the parts where Harry tries to murder Ben and Ben kills him instead. Oh, and skip the part where the entire survival drama of the movie is rendered mostly moot by a single bullet from a slack-jawed yokel just out having a good time.

I'm not the one asking for 28 Days Later but cut out the bit where Selena hacks Mark to pieces while he begs for his life, and the execution-style murders, sexual slavery, gang rape, and the climax of the film which centers around human-on-human, not human-on-zombie violence while we watch the protagonist press quivering thumbs through the eye sockets of another living, breathing human.

I wouldn't call for The Road but ask the author to cut out the banditry, cannibalism, murder, rape, suicide, infanticide and the attempted murder-on-sight with crossbow.

So, no, my qualifications are not relevant. I'm not the one calling out to poppa rocket to come in and save me from the play styles of other people by implementing rules and regulations that prevent them from playing their way and force them to play mine. I adapt to the presence of PvP in the game instead of demanding it be downplayed or "made optional." I avoid PvP for the most part - at times going days on end without ever seeing another human soul besides my personal trusted friends. But every moment of those days is more interesting because at any time that peace could be broken by a wandering maniac.

It's as if they wrote a play in their head but didn't give anyone the script, and now they're angry that nobody knows their lines so they're going to rocket and asking him to hand out the script to everyone in the form of game rules and arbitrary punishments.

In what sense are my qualifications relevant? I'm not the one making demands of the designer to implement rules' date=' restrictions and mechanics to force everyone else in the game to conform to my personal interpretation of what human behavior would be like.

[/quote']

But you do have a personal interpretation of what human behavior would be like in this situation, and use it to guide your interpretation of what Day Z should be like, which is why your qualifications are relevant.

I think the game works best when everyone gets to make their own interpretation and play the game in their own way' date=' and we get to see how those different styles clash, collide and, at times rare, synchronize.

[/quote']

I completely agree, the game would be at its most interesting when we could see every play style.

I'm not the one calling for Night of the Living Dead but please fast forward through the parts where Harry tries to murder Ben and Ben kills him instead. Oh' date=' and skip the part where the [i']entire survival drama of the movie is rendered mostly moot by a single bullet from a slack-jawed yokel just out having a good time.

I'm not the one asking for 28 Days Later but cut out the bit where Selena hacks Mark to pieces while he begs for his life, and the execution-style murders, sexual slavery, gang rape, and the climax of the film which centers around human-on-human, not human-on-zombie violence while we watch the protagonist press quivering thumbs through the eye sockets of another living, breathing human.

I wouldn't call for The Road but ask the author to cut out the banditry, cannibalism, murder, rape, suicide, infanticide and the attempted murder-on-sight with crossbow.

No, I suppose you're not, but wouldn't you say that in Night of the Living Dead the cooperation against the zombies is an important part of the movie? I mean, it would be a pretty short and boring story if they all just killed each other on sight. Would you also say the part in 28 Days Later where Mark meets Selena is important? If she just killed him immediately, the movie would be terrible. Likewise, the ending of The Road (not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it) is also important to the story.

The point is not to institute some arbitrary punishment for any playstyle, but to make it so that not just the PVP playstyles have some viability in the game. Bandit hunting is great, but it's a lot like hunting ghosts with no persistent identity and disconnecting/server hopping the way that it is. Helping random people in the wasteland is great, but as soon as they get a gun, you're more likely going to be shot and killed than anything. I'd like to see a game where people can be wasteland medics and still play for more than a half hour, where people can hunt bandits who aren't ghosts, and where people can disrupt the previous two (while being at risk for becoming a target themselves of course).

Don't mind being killed by zombies but I hate' date=' absolutely hate being pk'd

Who's with me :D

[/quote']

Meh, I don't mind being PK'd in a fair fight (though I don't start fights as a rule), its backstabbing that I object to. At least the heartbeat mechanic has reduced that somewhat.

its inbalanced. being a bandit is easier than risking your life whenever you see a surv.

so i dont turn badnit but i dont want to be the stupid prey. so ileave and wait till the horde goes to the next game and I come back.

TL;DR

sounds like a bunch of shitties getting mad

The point is not to institute some arbitrary punishment for any playstyle' date=' but to make it so that not [b']just the PVP playstyles have some viability in the game.

So bandits who join clans, group together, join teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble/etc, make tent cities & patrol/defend them, etc, are OP versus survivors who refuse to even find a group on a forum?

YOU DON'T SAY.

This is what I don't get. PvE players are completely willing to use global chat' date=' but are completely UNwilling to meta the game via forums, teamspeak, etc, to find the same kind of help.

[/quote']

A lot of the PvE players are more casual / single-player / zombie focused. They might group up in game but they're unlikely to be part of a regular gang or PvP oriented social group I would suspect.

Which is why they aren't welcome here.

[/quote']

And this is why our community is laughable. They aren't welcome here because they play the game differently than you do?

Beating your chest to show all those casuals that you're sooo much more awesome than them must feel really great.

The new updates do focus more on survival and zombies' date=' but personally, I think taking away side chat(or whatever it's called) doesn't really help co-op. People could go"Help, I'm dying, anyone willing to give me a transfusion?" And people would come, and you would probably eventually team up with them for a bit. Now you can't, although having no gun at the beginning does make everything less deathmatchy, even if it is a bit annoying for the first bit of playing.

[/quote']

This is what I don't get. PvE players are completely willing to use global chat, but are completely UNwilling to meta the game via forums, teamspeak, etc, to find the same kind of help.

I don't understand the stances some people are taking, just for the simple fact that they can be contrary.

Players of ANY type should not have to resort to offline meta-gaming in order to survive amicably inside the game they play. If you want to meta-game to be a bandit or whatever, great, good for you. I think that's poor sportsmanship, and completely avoiding the entire point of the game, but good job.

Forcing offline meta-gaming on other players is a shitty answer to a boorish question. It's not even really that legitimate, either. Players liked to use side chat as an IN GAME feature. You're suggesting that players try to actively circumvent the in-game features which are meant to instill a greater sense of high-stakes immersion, because that's what everybody else does...

Play the game the way you like it, and allow others to play it the way they like, and make suggestions based on what -they- would like. At the end of the day, isn't that what this is all about?

This is Dayz, not the great Crusades. We don't need to convert people or burn them down. Just let ideas slide, if you don't agree with them. This animosity and down-shouting is just so... Depressing.

since when was PvP as a problem?

PVP is the symptom, not the problem. The real problem is with PVPers who want to run all non-PVPers out of town.

PVPers who think Dayz should not -ever- have a legitimate PVE population is the problem. Dicks are the problem. PVPers are not always dicks. :)

[/quote']

And this is why our community is laughable. They aren't welcome here because they play the game differently than you do?

Beating your chest to show all those casuals that you're sooo much more awesome than them must feel really great.

And this is why we get a million stupid ideas a day, is because everyone thinks they know what will fix this game, when infact it's not the game that's broken, 9/10 it's their method of thinking.

Do I think casuals belong in a hardcore survival simulation on a milsim engine? No. If you think just because they got some publicity that the core audience of this mod somehow changed it towards the casual crowd, you're in for a rude awakening.

The difference between us & them is, we play the game how it is. They play the game, and then come to the forums to tell us how it should be. That's where the friction comes in. Last night I got killed by a guy who logged out as I shot him, only to have him move into position behind me in the building on another server, log in, and shoot me dead, wasting hours of work that it took to get that gear and to that city. Did I run to the forums talking about how they should eliminate PvP? Nope. I respawned and went back at it again.

[/quote']

I don't understand the stances some people are taking, just for the simple fact that they can be contrary.

Players of ANY type should not have to resort to offline meta-gaming in order to survive amicably inside the game they play. If you want to meta-game to be a bandit or whatever, great, good for you. I think that's poor sportsmanship, and completely avoiding the entire point of the game, but good job.

Forcing offline meta-gaming on other players is a shitty answer to a boorish question. It's not even really that legitimate, either. Players liked to use side chat as an IN GAME feature. You're suggesting that players try to actively circumvent the in-game features which are meant to instill a greater sense of high-stakes immersion, because that's what everybody else does...

Play the game the way you like it, and allow others to play it the way they like, and make suggestions based on what -they- would like. At the end of the day, isn't that what this is all about?

This is Dayz, not the great Crusades. We don't need to convert people or burn them down. Just let ideas slide, if you don't agree with them. This animosity and down-shouting is just so... Depressing.

PVP is the symptom' date=' not the problem. The real problem is with PVPers who want to run all non-PVPers out of town.

PVPers who think Dayz should not -ever- have a legitimate PVE population is the problem. Dicks are the problem. PVPers are not always dicks. :)

[/quote']

Since when does everyone refer to using voice chat as "meta"? Sounds like another shitty buzzword to use like 'entitled' or 'casual'.

Why should we let other people make suggestions based on what they like? We are alpha testers are we not? Has rocket not stated that he follows his own development path and cares little of what people suggest? And yeah he made that post blahblahblah, search his posts sometime, the only time he replies 99% of the time is in the actual patch threads, and that's usually to a bug report. This whole idea of 'just ignore the ideas if you don't like them' is what continues to allow these people to pollute the forums with their thinking, it's the same stupid ass mentality that has that thread about the nighttime being too dark still open even after they said they were testing a new lighting system cause guess what, it was too fucking dark, and yet you have the same retards who registered in June, arguing with other retards who registered in June, back and forth over whether it's realistic or not, or people cleverly stating how it's fine how it is, l2play, etc

It's the same reason we have threads like this, and you can still look down and see 1297489173 other threads about how bandits hurt their feelings and they should implement {retarded idea here}. Saying we shouldn't look down on those people who play this for PVE, when its a game that centers (as it stands currently) on PvP, is stupid at best. This is NOT a PVE game, so stop trying to make it one. Does it contain PVE elements? Yep. Everytime you kill a zombie you are engaging in PVE, so unless you've never killed a zombie you can't call yourself a PVP'er.

We don't need a pure PVE element, theres other zombie mods/games for that, they can go RP in those servers with the rest of the 12 year olds, but don't act like i'm the dick because i'm playing the game the way it was made to be played, i.e. with no restrictions. We aren't all on the same team.

[/quote']

And this is why we get a million stupid ideas a day, is because everyone thinks they know what will fix this game, when infact it's not the game that's broken, 9/10 it's their method of thinking.

Do I think casuals belong in a hardcore survival simulation on a milsim engine? No. If you think just because they got some publicity that the core audience of this mod somehow changed it towards the casual crowd, you're in for a rude awakening.

The difference between us & them is, we play the game how it is. They play the game, and then come to the forums to tell us how it should be. That's where the friction comes in. Last night I got killed by a guy who logged out as I shot him, only to have him move into position behind me in the building on another server, log in, and shoot me dead, wasting hours of work that it took to get that gear and to that city. Did I run to the forums talking about how they should eliminate PvP? Nope. I respawned and went back at it again.

To be fair, we get stupid ideas from BOTH sides of the argument. And the friction we get? It's because of people like you, man.

You think your way of playing the game is correct and that anybody else doesn't deserve to be in the Dayz community. Do you know what that is? Arrogant and foolish.

Do I think the debate is going to be settled by either the PVP or the PVE crowd winning, and everybody else going home? No.

You keep adding in your own opinion to the matter of how the game is played. You kill players, I don't seek that out. You want a large clan to run with, I'd rather be solo or with a small group.

Which of those two play styles is correct? You think you are, and that anybody else be damned. How does that solve anything? And how is it your decision of what is correct and what isn't?

Again. If you don't think an idea is sound, or reasonable, or whatever... Don't respond to the thread? Don't be a dick. Don't be an arrogant fool who wants to win for the sake of winning.

Look for the reasonable discussions, and add in your two cents in a meaningful manner. Don't run everyone else out of town.

PS - The idea that all non-PVP-oriented players just come to the forums and whine and try to get Dayz tailor made for them is just ridiculous.

Your side of the argument has all the lolz. You guys say "Oh PVP isn't as bad as you think it is, the stats don't lie!", and then your argument becomes, "Only like 5% of the players use the forums, it's not a fair representation!", and then, "PVE players just spend all their time on the forums trying to get rid of PVP!"

You can't have it every way. Which, incidentally, is why this discussion exists in the first place. Great.

[/quote']

[/quote']

PVP is the symptom' date=' not the problem. The real problem is with PVPers who want to run all non-PVPers out of town.

[/quote']

Since when does everyone refer to using voice chat as "meta"? Sounds like another shitty buzzword to use like 'entitled' or 'casual'.

Why should we let other people make suggestions based on what they like? We are alpha testers are we not? Has rocket not stated that he follows his own development path and cares little of what people suggest? And yeah he made that post blahblahblah, search his posts sometime, the only time he replies 99% of the time is in the actual patch threads, and that's usually to a bug report. This whole idea of 'just ignore the ideas if you don't like them' is what continues to allow these people to pollute the forums with their thinking, it's the same stupid ass mentality that has that thread about the nighttime being too dark still open even after they said they were testing a new lighting system cause guess what, it was too fucking dark, and yet you have the same retards who registered in June, arguing with other retards who registered in June, back and forth over whether it's realistic or not, or people cleverly stating how it's fine how it is, l2play, etc

It's the same reason we have threads like this, and you can still look down and see 1297489173 other threads about how bandits hurt their feelings and they should implement {retarded idea here}. Saying we shouldn't look down on those people who play this for PVE, when its a game that centers (as it stands currently) on PvP, is stupid at best. This is NOT a PVE game, so stop trying to make it one. Does it contain PVE elements? Yep. Everytime you kill a zombie you are engaging in PVE, so unless you've never killed a zombie you can't call yourself a PVP'er.

We don't need a pure PVE element, theres other zombie mods/games for that, they can go RP in those servers with the rest of the 12 year olds, but don't act like i'm the dick because i'm playing the game the way it was made to be played, i.e. with no restrictions. We aren't all on the same team.

So you want only suggestions that cater to your play style. Rocket doesn't give a fuck about anybody but Rocket, and Player Vs Enviroment doesn't exist in a zombie survival mod where you have to eat, drink, be weary of environmental conditions such as rain and cold... But the game isn't about non-PVP elements at all.

It sounds like you just want to stifle any voice that is not your own.

To be fair' date=' we get stupid ideas from BOTH sides of the argument. And the friction we get? It's because of people like you, man.[/quote']

To be fair, i've never given a stupid idea, because unlike some, I wasn't born with extra chromosomes.

You think your way of playing the game is correct and that anybody else doesn't deserve to be in the Dayz community. Do you know what that is? Arrogant and foolish.

My way of playing the game is playing it as is, I don't complain about anything other than a straight out bug. Is it wrong for thinking that this community would be a lot nicer place if more people had this mentality (i.e. did their job as alpha testers)? I've never stated that PVE doesn't belong in the game, i've never made a post stating "I GOT BAD TOUCHED BY A ZOMBIE, PLZ NERF PVE" or "I SHOT A PLAYER AND MY GUN MADE ZOMBIES WARP THROUGH THE WALL AND KILL ME, REMOVE PVE". You are putting words in my mouth, I said the casual / single player /zombie focused players don't belong here, because playing an online game for single player is fucking stupid, as stupid as complaining that this game is too hard, or that its sandbox nature is too 'sandboxy'

Do I think the debate is going to be settled by either the PVP or the PVE crowd winning, and everybody else going home? No.

Nope, but I guarantee you one element that will never die out no matter what you add/subtract, and that's PVP. You could restrict us to one bullet per life and someone would still aspire to put it in the skulls of passing players.

You keep adding in your own opinion to the matter of how the game is played. You kill players, I don't seek that out. You want a large clan to run with, I'd rather be solo or with a small group.

Never once said I wanted a large clan to run with, I play the game with one other person, this is an example of you not knowing what you are talking about and jumping into a conversation.

Which of those two play styles is correct? You think you are, and that anybody else be damned. How does that solve anything? And how is it your decision of what is correct and what isn't?

Yes, I believe my play style is correct. Because I play the game, and I don't complain about it when others do the same. If everyone else did this, this entire community would be a lot nicer.

Again. If you don't think an idea is sound, or reasonable, or whatever... Don't respond to the thread? Don't be a dick. Don't be an arrogant fool who wants to win for the sake of winning.

Just like you responding here telling me i'm arrogant and foolish right? You could of taken your own advice and just not responded, but something compelled you to do so, crazy huh?

PS - The idea that all non-PVP-oriented players just come to the forums and whine and try to get Dayz tailor made for them is just ridiculous.

Read through the forums, and count how many players complain about PVP. Go ahead. Then get back to me on that statement.

Your side of the argument has all the lolz. You guys say "Oh PVP isn't as bad as you think it is, the stats don't lie!", and then your argument becomes, "Only like 5% of the players use the forums, it's not a fair representation!", and then, "PVE players just spend all their time on the forums trying to get rid of PVP!"

None of this even has a shred of credibility to it. PVP isn't as bad as people make it out to be, if it were, then I wouldn't be gaining so many murders, instead of bandit kills. If I get 30+ kills per night, and only 1-2 bandit kills, then that tells me that theres obviously not as big of a bandit problem as people make it out to be. And if theres 70 million zombies killed right now and only 1.1 million murders, then obviously PVE is taking place, the game hasn't turned into pure PVP. And if theres 50k bandits alive right now compared to the 273k normal players alive right now, then this mentality of theres 2 bandits for every 1 player is completely wrong. There's just a lot of really vocal butthurt players, as stated in my signature, by rocket.

So you want only suggestions that cater to your play style. Rocket doesn't give a fuck about anybody but Rocket' date=' and Player Vs Enviroment doesn't exist in a zombie survival mod where you have to eat, drink, be weary of environmental conditions such as rain and cold... But the game isn't about non-PVP elements at all.

It sounds like you just want to stifle any voice that is not your own.

[/quote']

No, there's a few players here that I do agree with, which ironically enough, people say the same things about them also.

Also PVE, at least in my experience, has to do with Player vs AI, not the actual environment itself. Yes, it's about survival, a survival that is made much harder by the players who inhabit the world.