Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

I'm not insulting him' date=' I'm just identifying him.

He's not refuting anything because what he's doing is championing a play-style. Same as most people.

Not everyone wants the same play-style, that's why there's opposition to that Day-Z is becoming. Though it's pretty pointless because arguing doesn't change game mechanics.

[/quote']

A playstyle that isn't his own, as he's stated many many MANY times. He's not a bandit.

IM ON SOME BATMAN SHIT!

my solution against the chaos in cherno is probably going to send people into an uproar' date=' but it's been working as a backtrolling tactic for me in an awesome way.

what i've noticed assholes doing is server hopping on the factory roof in cherno loooking for victims down on the ground to snipe. what a bunch of bullshit.

so what i've started doing is this:

1. spawn, sprint to HATCHET. disregard zombies.

2. sprint to FACTORY. disregard zombies. climb factory to the TOPMOST roof.

3. wait with hatchet in the middle of the roof.

4. have a snack, read a book. beat ur meat.

5. when a sniper spawns in front of you (usually in less than 10 mins) ROLL up to them so they can't hear u coming and then freak them out over the direct com- "NOW SAY GOODNIGHT!" as you hack them to pieces.

6. pick up the sewper L337 sniper rifle and all the tits gear he's carrying and relocate to the OTHER factory roof directly to the north.

8. shoot anyone on any rooftop in the vicinity who is holding a rifle.

7. wait for more cocksuckers to spawn onto the main (wher u hacked the guy) factory roof with sniper rifles. (you can also server hop if you're into that sort of thing"

8. ????????????

9. PROFIT (and be beloved by noobs dodging bullets in cherno.)

seriously, the last guy i wasted with this tactic netted me a cz 550 with like 6 magazines, and an ALICE PACK with a DMR + magz in it. not to mention full gear (binox, map, gps etc). I bet he felt real great getting hacked to death with a hatchet in the least probable location all because he thought it would be fun to shoot innocent noobies.

[/quote']

Brilliant read that :D I like your style and it's all those keyboard warriors deserve.

As I said' date=' he's a spokesman for the play-style.

[/quote']

I speak for all play styles. I speak for rocket's commitment to not favoring one over another - to building a giant 225km² sandbox in which all are welcome to practice whatever arts they wish, be they pure or base, saintly or demonic, not black and white but the whole spectrum, all the colors and beyond to infrared and ultraviolet and electromagnetic.

I speak for my own commitment to incorporate other people's play styles and choices into the story I write for my survivors, instead of trying to handcuff them or slap them on the nose and tell them "No! That's not right. Play like this instead."

I have no problem folding the insanely murderous, unpredictable, bloodthirsty bandits who populate the game into the same narrative that the insanely murderous, predictable, bloodthirsty zombies occupy. Their behavior makes about as much sense, and they all go in the same "target" bucket.

The difference is zombies challenge me a little bit. They're, kind of annoying but mostly predictable and largely unimposing once I have a gun and a few rounds.

Players, however? Even the dumb ones scare me. In fact, they scare me more than the smart ones. 'cause the smart ones might just choose to walk the other way when they see my rifle and the fact that I'm with 3 friends. The dumb ones will come, guns blazing and zombies in tow, firing and screaming and requiring... swift intervention.

So, yes. I speak more loudly for the players and for PvP. Because they make the game more interesting and unpredictable and terrifying. And that's why I'm here.

Oh, and unlike PvP the zombie survival aspects of the game aren't under constant assault from an army of forum warriors who think they know what's best for everyone else who plays the game.

So you are more of a "enjoy being hunted" player? Kudo's, that's a very rare play-style. I find it sort of boring in this game because there's no real counter to a determined camper with a long range weapon. And I think the number of players who will enjoy a game tuned to that level is pretty small, much smaller than the game could be if it supported more casual and co-operative oriented players.

I don't think it's much of a sandbox either. A sandbox supports lots of styles of play and different objectives. The number of mechanics not focused on PvP in this game is pretty much only "gearing up", though most of that is weapons too. That's mostly due to arma-II being underneath it of course.

Rocket seems to be focused on making the zombies more challenging, possibly hoping that will encourage co-operation. I tend to think it will just further drive off the casual or those trying to re-gear after their Nth PvP death that session.

But it's his game.

So you are more of a "enjoy being hunted" player? Kudo's' date=' that's a very rare play-style. I find it sort of boring in this game because there's no real counter to a determined camper with a long range weapon. And I think the number of players who will enjoy a game tuned to that level is pretty small, much smaller than the game could be if it supported more casual and co-operative oriented players.

I don't think it's much of a sandbox either. A sandbox supports lots of styles of play and different objectives. The number of mechanics not focused on PvP in this game is pretty much only "gearing up", though most of that is weapons too. That's mostly due to arma-II being underneath it of course.

Rocket seems to be focused on making the zombies more challenging, possibly hoping that will encourage co-operation. I tend to think it will just further drive off the casual or those trying to re-gear after their Nth PvP death that session.

But it's his game.

[/quote']

Did he ever say he enjoys being hunted? All he said was he enjoys the thrill knowing that someone could be hunting him, and someone could be around each corner. Just because you want a game experience that's about as thrilling as picking flowers, doesn't mean it's automatically flawed.

And yes, you're right, we are trying to drive off the casuals. That's the entire point. You're the one who started playing a hardcore survival simulation on a military sim engine, and started complaining about things being too difficult or not casual enough. You and the people like you are the reason we have so many threads about the same thing's over and over.

It's not flawed, it's just niche. And casuals tend to help fund the development of games because they're numerous.

I have my own interests thanks. And the casual / hard-core divide, or even PK/co-op divide doesn't affect them. As to their being too many threads, uh, deal with it.

It's not flawed' date=' it's just niche. And casuals tend to help fund the development of games because they're numerous.

I have my own interests thanks. And the casual / hard-core divide, or even PK/co-op divide doesn't affect them. As to their being too many threads, uh, deal with it.

[/quote']

And we don't care about your casual interests.

"Deal with it", how very mature of you.

I think bringing back side-chat would help this problem. It connects a lot of people in the server, even if far apart. It may take away from realism but for some it makes the game more fun.

Because I see these threads so fucking much I can't help but to wonder if the same conversation goes on... This is the thread to either discuss' date=' bitch, moan, suggest, or state otherwise your opinion or ideas or topics of PvP, Anti Banditry, These 'COD Kiddies' you guys like to call them, or people who shoot on sight.

There will be no "Carebear" terms here, there will be no "Go back to COD" posts, make this a legitimate and civil discussion thread in which we can post without flaming. (Or try to.)

My view on this? There is no solution to the "PvP" in this game.. It's a feature that has been implemented into the mod and in the end there is no solution. You are the solution. The people of the community need to rise up and stand for themselves instead of being put down by the banditry and traitors that roam these lands, make your own group as I have, dedicated to the entire cause of the Survivors for the people. [b']You need to take your part in creating a safer environment if you want people to take a different look on our community and the mod itself, posting and whining about how you got killed is not the way to go if you can stand up and do something about all of this yourself. Plan, discuss, take action. Stop all the talk and do what you have to.

I agree with this. There is just a couple problems. There are no set servers for one. I would love to see someone forced to stay on a server of thier choice or at least make it a daily timer. Once you select a server you are stuck for 24 hrs. At least that way the next day you can play with your idiot friend that picked the wrong one.

Another problem is the loot system. I would LOVE to fight bandits. My luck sucks though. Should I just give up and let you or another group arm me because I have bad luck? No, if the game is going to be PvP based then the loot should be a whole hell of alot less random. Food/water rare? Perfect. a 1 in 100 chance at a good weapon and thats after you die 10 times trying to get to rare spawn locations? Thats an issue imo. The only people that will argue this point are the ones that where lucky enough to get the rare spawn or stocked up well before the mod became so popular.

Another rather large problem that has to cause any anti bandit groups problems. How the hell do you tell who is a bandit? YOU CANT. See someone prone with a sniper rifle looking into cherno? Doesnt mean he is a bandit. He may just be spotting his friends in the town who are trying to find food/ammo/water ect. Why Rocket took out the diffrent look for bandits I dont know. Something needs to change though. Its pretty much impossible for the community to really do anything about it since you can change your name and look the same as everyone else if you are a bandit.

Another issue I have is how little skill sniper rifles really take to use well. Now I havent used or found a sniper rifle. But after watching PUDDN stream for several hours its clear that sniper rifles are just to easy to hit with. Bullet dropoff? Please it doesnt really exist. Not nearly enough. Wind does not effect anything. My solution? Simply remove sniper rifles untill Rocket can find a way within the engine to add some skill to them. I'm sorry but there is NO skill when at 1k meters you can put your crosshair on a targets nugget and put a bullet through his eye. Do not need to have found a sniper to know thats a problem in itself.

Its a good mod. It has a ton going for it. It also has a ton going against it. Untill Rocket can give the community the tools to fight the douchebag PKers it will continue to have problems. Even though the game isnt realistic in any sense I'll awnser the people who will say its not realistic to be able to tell one bandit from the next surviver. Thats not true. Over time word would get around from the lucky few who survive what the person looks like. Right now all I can do is assume if you have a sniper rifle or a camo suit that you are a bandit. All I can do is assume that guy comming around the corner is a bandit.

Oh and one last issue. The debug thing. Why does it track murders/bandit kills? Its a pointless thing to track since it doesnt work plain and simple. Yesterday I managed to get out of a building and into a field of hay rolls after taking a couple AK shots. Bandaged, ate, ect and noticed the douchebag was following me. So we played peekaboo around they hay rolls for a bit. I was tryin to play it safe since all I had was a revolver. Long story short, the guy had shot me at least 5 times before I managed to sneak around behind him and put a bullet in his head. So I killed a bandit right? He shot me first and I defended myself. Nope it was a murder. Pointless to track that kinda thing if its broken.

Edit: I do really like the mod. Hell I dont even mind people murdering me for my supplies instead of for sport. But I can not see myself or many others playing it for long if Rocket doesnt give us a way to at least identify bandits. I dont want to hear about the realism thing either. Its a really lame excuse to be a douchebag. The game is far from having realism in it.

IM ON SOME BATMAN SHIT!

my solution against the chaos in cherno is probably going to send people into an uproar' date=' but it's been working as a backtrolling tactic for me in an awesome way.

what i've noticed assholes doing is server hopping on the factory roof in cherno loooking for victims down on the ground to snipe. what a bunch of bullshit.

so what i've started doing is this:

1. spawn, sprint to HATCHET. disregard zombies.

2. sprint to FACTORY. disregard zombies. climb factory to the TOPMOST roof.

3. wait with hatchet in the middle of the roof.

4. have a snack, read a book. beat ur meat.

5. when a sniper spawns in front of you (usually in less than 10 mins) ROLL up to them so they can't hear u coming and then freak them out over the direct com- "NOW SAY GOODNIGHT!" as you hack them to pieces.

6. pick up the sewper L337 sniper rifle and all the tits gear he's carrying and relocate to the OTHER factory roof directly to the north.

8. shoot anyone on any rooftop in the vicinity who is holding a rifle.

7. wait for more cocksuckers to spawn onto the main (wher u hacked the guy) factory roof with sniper rifles. (you can also server hop if you're into that sort of thing"

8. ????????????

9. PROFIT (and be beloved by noobs dodging bullets in cherno.)

seriously, the last guy i wasted with this tactic netted me a cz 550 with like 6 magazines, and an ALICE PACK with a DMR + magz in it. not to mention full gear (binox, map, gps etc). I bet he felt real great getting hacked to death with a hatchet in the least probable location all because he thought it would be fun to shoot innocent noobies.

[/quote']

Brilliant read that :D I like your style and it's all those keyboard warriors deserve.

Ok, as much complaining as I have done this is just amazing. Thats why you read threads. There is probably at least 1 person smarter than you :)

Any of you ever play Ultima Online when it first came out?

Totally different genre you say? Perhaps, but the games are uniquely similar at the moment.

The earlier version of Ultima Online was unforgivable, riddled with bugs, pks, exploiters. Everyone complained about everything. New players were like cattle to the slaughter, loosing hours of earned gear to a guy who set up clever macros overnight and became pvp powerhouse no noob could ever compete with. Monsters and dungeons were death traps to almost all but elite players, that is, if you could get to them without being gang r***d. For the casuals, the game was a series of deaths, mixed with a dash of nerd tears and rage. Hell, even the guy who created the game got PK'd, and he was suppose to be invulnerable!

You know when that game died?

When all the above got fixed. PvP became optional, monsters were nerfed, bugs and exploits patched.

Just something to think about.

Someone else linked it' date=' but it should be saved ...

So out of the hundreds of thousands of players stretched out over 600+ servers you managed to find a video of people acting like dicks. Congrats.

Nah, it died when there was a competitor with controlled PvP (Everquest) that dwarfed their subscriber numbers and stole their user base. They were forced to offer an option to opt out of PvP. Which virtually all the players did, while I imagine the PK's cried about lack of targets.

The same might happen here if there's a competitor or the numbers flatline and Rocket cares (though he has less financial motivation than Ultima did).

Yes, so poignant. I'm sure I'll be seeing this splashed up in every forum thread on this topic in the coming days in an attempt to make some kind of noble point about the pending fall of the empire.

To me it looks like a few guys having a load of fun, and some survivors who need to learn not to stand in the middle of a fucking field in broad daylight like a bunch of milk cows, or run up to a stranger's vehicle like it's a neighborhood ice cream truck.

"Ding-a-ling. Oh, what's that? A Dora the Explorer creamsicle? How about instead I shoot your face off of your face?" If you've played the game for more than 30 minutes that should have come as no surprise.

I guess we're supposed to feel sympathy for the lack-wits in that video? The master tactician who decided the best defense for a vehicle was to become a human speed-bump, and the other guy staring up at the sky? Probably taking screenshots of the clouds for his Twitter feed.

Dudes in the UAZ are performing a public service. Call it DayZ boot camp. Lesson number one, get off the coast. Lesson number two, use cover. Lesson number three, get off the coast. Lesson number four, don't run up to a group of four armed strangers and expect a group hug.

Know what I do when I hear an engine coming down the road? I hide. Under a tree or behind a wall. Then I watch and listen. Now these survivors will too. The smart ones will apply what they learned to their next attempt at survival.

Oh, but they used dirty words and giggled and didn't make buddy-buddy with every mouth-breathing beach-dweller that sidled up to them so they're "not doing it right," right? They're ruining the game for those dumb shits who were probably going to die 90 seconds later to some other dumb mistake anyway?

Once again we see a theme. You and your cohort of thought police hold the one true key to the proper way to enjoy DayZ and any methods of enjoyment that deviate from your decrees are poison and anathema to what the game is "supposed to be." Can you just post a link to the manual you're using? The one that has all the rules about how we're supposed to enjoy this game? What are we allowed to do, and those lines that you forbid us to cross lest we interfere in inappropriate ways with the prescribed and rightful enjoyment of the other people in the game?

So out of the hundreds of thousands of players stretched out over 600+ servers you managed to find a video of people acting like dicks. Congrats.

There'll be more, count on it. And in a lot of ways it's a good thing, punctures some of the over optimistic media hype.

I don't mind it being a hard core PvP game, but people should know what they are buying into.

There'll be more, count on it. And in a lot of ways it's a good thing, punctures some of the over optimistic media hype.

I don't mind it being a hard core PvP game, but people should know what they are buying into.

So before someone buys a motorcycle, they should show them footage of people smeared across the highway, with Jose the Highway worker shoveling them up into a hefty bag? There's no grey area with you is it, it's one extreme to the next, one minute you rally against PVP like you were bad touched by a PK'er in your formative years, then the next you curl up into a ball and talk about how you 'don't mind it, i just want to educate others'.

You could type any game into Youtube and find someone doing something other than what was intended with it, usually to a terrible soundtrack at that. I just think you have a completely different mindset, and based on the way you talk, you want this game to operate like an MMO/D&D style game

Yes, warning people about the incidence of motor-cycle fatalities compared to cars probably would be a good idea. Not sure how it's relevant but important public safety announcement for sure.

There'll be more' date=' count on it. And in a lot of ways it's a good thing, punctures some of the over optimistic media hype.

[/quote']

You are seriously a ridiculous boob. That's honestly all there is left to it. I thought you were some guy but it turns out you are a giant, floppy tit and your face is a nipple.

So before someone buys a motorcycle, they should show them footage of people smeared across the highway, with Jose the Highway worker shoveling them up into a hefty bag? There's no grey area with you is it, it's one extreme to the next, one minute you rally against PVP like you were bad touched by a PK'er in your formative years, then the next you curl up into a ball and talk about how you 'don't mind it, i just want to educate others'.

You could type any game into Youtube and find someone doing something other than what was intended with it, usually to a terrible soundtrack at that. I just think you have a completely different mindset, and based on the way you talk, you want this game to operate like an MMO/D&D style game

Well, if basically every other motorist was out to kill you and run you off the road on sight, then yes, it would be a good idea to show them that kind of video.

Even your strawman argument is indefensable.

Most who buy Arma II and get this mod (because they visit the website and it looks "awesome") are expecting something completely different to what it actually is like.

So why is it a bad thing to tell people what it is like before hand.

The majority of this playerbase of this mod is bloodthirsty / forum trolling / exploiters.

My advice for anyone would be to come and read through the forums for a while before getting it, as the "community" on display here says it all about the "type" of in game experience that can be expected.

Yes' date=' warning people about the incidence of motor-cycle fatalities compared to cars probably would be a good idea. Not sure how it's relevant but important public safety announcement for sure.

[/quote']

It's relevant because it's how you post. You pick out one sentence, and fire out a reply based on that one sentence, completely ignoring all the facts from the rest of the post, and 9 times out of 10 it's some inane crap comparing DayZ to {insert weeaboo mmorpg here}

Most who buy Arma II and get this mod (because they visit the website and it looks "awesome") are expecting something completely different to what it actually is like.

So they didn't do any research' date=' looked at the front page for 30 seconds and thought the screenshots looked neat, and now we're supposed to change the game to suit their needs?

[img']http://i.imgur.com/MZNHT.png

Hey, I can only work with what you offer. Here's a hint, you can counter the argument but I'm not really interested in whether you feel I have the right to post it.

Well, if basically every other motorist was out to kill you and run you off the road on sight, then yes, it would be a good idea to show them that kind of video.

Even your strawman argument is indefensable.

So why is it a bad thing to tell people what it is like before hand.

The majority of this playerbase of this mod is bloodthirsty / forum trolling / exploiters.

My advice for anyone would be to come and read through the forums for a while before getting it, as the "community" on display here says it all about the "type" of in game experience that can be expected.

And where do you fit in that demographic?

You people keep applying your scenarios to everyone else, i've never had this sort of thing happen to me ingame. I've never seen a roaming deathsquad of bandit commandos rolling down the street killing everyone indiscriminately, but the way you people talk this shit happens every hour on the hour.

It's all subjective, noone will have the same experience, so stop applying this logic that the whole game has gone completely to the wolves when it hasn't.

Hey' date=' I can only work with what you offer. Here's a hint, you can counter the argument but I'm not really interested in whether you feel I have the right to post it.

[/quote']

If you truly are the age your profile says you are, then I weep for you.