rydekk

The CCSD (Chernarian Creepy Stuff Department) Needs investigators for the Radio transmission mystery.

could be terrorists transmitting codes for their next real life hit.

and you could be CIA agents.

im paranoid.

Could you pls also run the old videos through it because there is a SSTV signal too

If it was a Dev, wouldn't they have used the in-game map rather than the dayzdb online one? 

Could you pls also run the old videos through it because there is a SSTV signal too.

Just ran it through, it's the same picture but it's extremely bad quality because of the background noise.

• Like 1

I just found out on this vid ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZv5-VLZE2A ) from 1:45 to 2:02 "CQ CQ CQ DE C1. GOTO 0" 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_abbreviations

What's the long grey thing in the top left corner of the map?

(or north-east..)

maybe go to 0 means go to 0/0 ?

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

there are also several deerstands around the corner

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Just ran it through, it's the same picture but it's extremely bad quality because of the background noise.

Okay thank you and have you tried the first video ? The one filmed at Green Mountain ? I think there is a SSTV signal too.

Okay thank you and have you tried the first video ? The one filmed at Green Mountain ? I think there is a SSTV signal too.

Ran through the whole video, didn't get anything.

Ok guys here is what I did so far to get any further in this investigation.

1. Downloaded the DayZ [sA] second radio transmission in Elektrozavodsk https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PZv5-VLZE2A#t=10 video with JDownloader form uTube. I used the 720ish version for best qulaity.

2. Imported the video in GoldWave. It's a nice tool to cut parts out of tracks and convert videos into soundfiles.

3. I've used Audacity and messed a bit arround withe the equalizer settings to may get a clear a possible sound.

4. Because of not having a 3.5mm cable to connect my sound-out and sound-in on my sound card I used my headset and speakers to get the sound in RXSSTV.

My equalizer settings on Audacity are:

2r5wxlx.jpg

My come out with results with RXSSTV are:

The sound file without equalizer used:

ixw31i.jpg

The sound file with equalizer used:

30sv79s.jpg

First I was like "well a good piece of colorful nothing".

But than I remembered this post:

Okay, I ran it through the program and got this.

http://imgur.com/5pvxcH4

Edit: Just noticed it's actually a map of this area http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#6.087.118

In my attempts to translate the sound into an image I sometimes noticed white spots in the approximate position of those who can also be seen in this picture from bjurrsson.

Unfortunately, my skills and resources are very limited in this area, but I hope I was able to help a little.

What's the long grey thing in the top left corner?

(or north-east..)

maybe go to 0 means go to 0/0 ?

That's a good idea! I will check this out today.

In addition, here is a list of tools and a check-list for recording I collected in this thread. I did a little bit of re-edit to make it a bit more clear.

Also I added a think may no one thought about so far: Real time.

Yes, real time. Everybody talks about the server time they heared the transmission but it seems nobody thought about what real time they where sent. I think this is important too because some records are done while server was in day-time and also in night-time.

I will post it to the CCSD group on steam too.

If you manage to detect a signal:

At all times, exercise caution. You can't help the investigation if you are dead (at least, until you gear up again).

Every action you take will be a risk. Those who are able to record should be especially careful, as crucial information could be lost if you die.

STEP 1: STOP and press "P" and take a screenshot of the player list if you are not recording. If you are recording, simply press "P" to show the list in the video. Also click on every name in player-list and "mute" (window at the right side) everybody.

STEP 2: If you are recording, proceed to move towards the signal until you can hear the broadcast clearly and there is less static. Then STOP in the safest place you can quickly find, and record the entire event. If you are NOT recording, proceed as far as possible towards the transmission, getting closer as it comes in more clearly. Try as best as possible to find the source of the transmission, or at the least, its general area.

STEP 3: When the transmission ends, press "P" and take a second screenshot of the player list, or if you are recording, once again show it in the video.

STEP 4: When appropriate and/or safe, return here and fill out a "STRIP" report:

Server Time:

Real Time (in your country):

Hive: Regular/Hardcore

Number of players while joining:

Number of players while leaving:

Start location: Grid xxx xxx

Frequency:

Signal found:

Duration of signal:

Duration of investigation:

Recordings: (insert link here if applicable)

Note: (Information about location and direction of movement when broadcast is detected, any players you spot and their movements, etc. Especially important section for those that do not have recordings)

Program for Morse-Code (PC)

http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwget/

Program for Morese-Code (Android)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jfedor.morsecode&hl=en

Site for Morse-Code abbreviations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_abbreviations

Site to check Time-Zones

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Program to convert sound->picture (PC)

http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/rxsstv.htm

Program to cut pieces out of tracks and also convert videos to sound files (PC)

http://www.goldwave.com/

Program for equalizing sound files to filter out noice etc. (PC)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=de

cheers Kabraxis

• Like 1

There is that video from last year with Rocket demonstrating the radio (not the walkie talkie) and how it was picking up broadcasts. He was playing 80's music on it while giving his demo in some other features. He talked about in game radio stations and stuff, luring zombies and people with the radio... Leaving it on and setting it somewhere to attract attention... Kinda made a big deal about it...

I would say at the least, if we figure out that the stuff we are investigating now is hoax material, we should really try to bring it up with the Dev team as something they SHOULD do. Look how many of us are looking already... Look at how it's created a deeper interest in the history of the DayZ world amongst this small group of fans in our group and this site. The SA is basically a new IP and as a story driven game (we create our own stories in the DayZ world) the mod didn't have any context for the beginning of those stories. It has no background lore yet. The search for the history of Dayz would be an open ended side quest available to any player who wants to look for them and piece it together, as Dayz doesn't just hand the player anything.

Some journals from the scientists and guards involved in the facility, several mysterious broadcasts, maybe something  that gives us a clue as to how the outbreak affected the rest of the world (sequel potential) Just some thoughts...

• Like 3

I joined the game to search for more signals but suddenly i can't use my Transmitter :o :( I have a battery but when i do a right click on it, I have only 2 options, to inpect and to detach the battery. WTF?

I joined the game to search for more signals but suddenly i can't use my Transmitter :o :( I have a battery but when i do a right click on it, I have only 2 options, to inpect and to detach the battery. WTF?

Your battery is dead and you just have to inject a new fully charged one.

Your battery is dead and you just have to inject a new fully charged one.

My battery is Pristine. It doesn't matter?

Condition doesn't apply to wether or not a battery is empty or not.

Lick the battery in order to know if it's full or not...

It doesn't matter. You have to check the life of your battery by licking it. If you have no option to turn on the Walkie, then the battery is definitely dead.

More on the investigation:

I know the land between Pusta and Prig pretty well. My girlfriend and I were there last night investigating when my battery ran out while looting Pusta. Luckily we found a fully charged one in Pusta before heading out towards Mogilevka and Vyshnoye. We stopped our investigation at one of the circled locations, 'Pop Ivan', where it's not actually a deer stand, but a radio tower.

I've made it a habit to record everything for a while now, because crazy things can happen in DayZ, and I think video is better than a written story. But now I see a great opportunity here to help out the investigation. Nothing to report so far though, and my battery is running out.

I'm at Pop Ivan now, but I'm kind of lost as to where to go, because the info is strewn across 22 pages. A daily summary would be nice, so investigators can check in and see where they need to go next, and if there are any new leads. It should include things like: Frequency numbers to check, local AND server times, servers, etc. etc.

Edited by Esolu

Ok man, here I am back again form my investigation today.

I was out there, up to the north-west end of the world to check out what's going on there and here is what I found:

I found a little hill looking like a Pyramide on the field. I think this is only a misstakte of the developers while creating the map but it looks pretty cool and mysterios, so I want to share it with you.

You can find it if you are at the nothern exit of Novy Sobor at the road sign and than head out straight NW. You have to run something like 5 minutes to get there and you will pass 1-2 deerstands.

The location is rough 063 066 on the map.

4m2m.jpg

dknp.jpg

i0bg.jpg

Also I found some more of those strange poles with a ball-thing on top:

Taken at Stary Sobor 062 076

6muw.jpg

This is alsoe Stary Sobor 062 075 different view

r3un.jpg

Here I was at Grishino 059 052

oloh.jpg

and the last one is taken at 049 022. It's not inside a village/city but as any other I found at this jurney it was placed very close to a farm/cow house (it's behind me)

q03p.jpg

Later I came to this place 017 005. On the map it looks like a big lake and even so if you are looking at it form distance.

But acutally it just a big yawing crater, looks a bit like after a metroid impact or something but pretty cool though.

actg.jpg

My next shots are take roughly at the area of 013 013.

As you can see on the map it looks like ther must be a city, a base or somewhat. I think they plan to place another cool building/buldings out there.

ihic.jpg

dz7g.jpg

lop2.jpg

yb77.jpg

And, as requested, the north-west end of the world :)

0yla.jpg

There I was, in the middle of nowhere or at the ass of the world and I thought to myself that I could still go see what is hidden behind it.

So I ran to the north and ran and ran and ran and ... I said that I ran to the north? and ran and ran...

To see there was basically a shit of nothing. The textures there don't have any details. There are several hills and small mountains, but nothing, absolutely fucking nothing that could be interesting anyway. Only the fact that the map is great, hell has large and - well - offers huge potential for expansion. So if you have some boring times, just run to the north :P

Anyway, after about 45 minutes of the race I had enough workout for my index finger and - who would have thought it - ran back 45 minutes ...

Still, it was an experience and kind of fun :)

cheers Kabraxis

• Like 5

Those tall towers are labeled as water towers on the in game map.

Strange look for a water tower but this explains why they are allways located near a farm.

Thanks for that mate ;)

First of all, while reading through the thread, all pages etc I was really hoping for this to not be a hoax. When it came to the morse part, I got to laugh alot :)

Being a longtime estonian hamradio operator, taking part off the biggest cqww cw contests etc, very familar with cw and morse overall, so I know what I am talking about. Nice try c1 or whoever else did it, but some of the basics were off. You still got alot to learn :)

And unfortunately I did spend around 40 hours of ingame (+ some friends that were doing the same, obv not as long as me) time to check out most of the popuplar servers for any other similar transmissions, but without any success. I checked the major cities, the spots you recorded etc. Imagine 40 ingame hours is many many batteries I had to farm, get some help from friends etc. And yeah, only transmission i picked up was some Herbert the Pervert impersonator, who gave me lot of laugh.

And I'm pretty  sure by now that someone from the beginning on this thread is behind everything, well done!

btw, here you have some high speed morse, takes years of practice and competing/dxing to develop the perfect listening skills!

• Like 1

First of all, while reading through the thread, all pages etc I was really hoping for this to not be a hoax. When it came to the morse part, I got to laugh alot :)

Being a longtime estonian hamradio operator, taking part off the biggest cqww cw contests etc, very familar with cw and morse overall, so I know what I am talking about. Nice try c1 or whoever else did it, but some of the basics were off. You still got alot to learn :)

And unfortunately I did spend around 40 hours of ingame (+ some friends that were doing the same, obv not as long as me) time to check out most of the popuplar servers for any other similar transmissions, but without any success. I checked the major cities, the spots you recorded etc. Imagine 40 ingame hours is many many batteries I had to farm, get some help from friends etc. And yeah, only transmission i picked up was some Herbert the Pervert impersonator, who gave me lot of laugh.

And I'm pretty  sure by now that someone from the beginning on this thread is behind everything, well done!

btw, here you have some high speed morse, takes years of practice and competing/dxing to develop the perfect listening skills!

I feel the same way, I feel that someone who started this hoax is using it to now promote their server.

So now that we all know whats going on and that it IS a hoax, Wouldn't it be ruled case closed? Maybe leave a few people who WANT to find out what's going on to figure it out?

Edited by Sovietshark

Im maybe wrong but I found that the ship near Berezino looks like a C1 ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_C1_ship

I would agree... but this is only happening on one server. As much as we want this to be something by the devs, we need to start being skeptical that it is a player, that is why we are all investigating. 

Does everyone agree how much cooler the in game system can be compared to using "cheats" like TS3 and mumble. 

I see using those programs to be as much as cheating as gamma exploits, server hopping and combat logging to be honest. It just isnt in tune with the game and realism. You cant secretly and telepathically communicate with people so it kills immersion and now you are secretly talking tactics with someone to flank an enemy that cant hear you when in reality they could.

There is something so awesome about using in game radios that have range, signal degredation from absortion and distance. Having to use head sets to not broadcast your buddies coms over the net. Batteries going dead etc. The more complex this game is the better. 

I always wanted to just be hiking along and all of a sudden hear a scary, survival disrtress signal come over the radio ever since I saw 28 days later and the whole "salvation is here" message comes on the radio. I always thought it would be so immesive. When radios came in I immediately grabbed one and tried to get some coms going with others. Nothing.....dead silence. I knew the devs werent going to be creative with the backstory, at least not untill the beta. 

So, I decided I'd take some time and broadcast so that others could hear it and get that awesome sence of wonder and immersion. I hoped it would spike some interest and use of ingame coms vs meta gaming tech like TS3. That being said, noone heard it for days. Noone even knew the radios worked. haha, I sat at the top of the power plant smoke stack broadcasting sometimes for hours at a time and kept an eye on the forums to see if the interest had been sparked. Nothing. So I had to feign finding it myself and reporting it here. Name dropping and such was something I really wanted to avoid as it was going to be kind of ovbious it was me. I server hopped.....A LOT and broadcast among many servers for hours, but still noone ever heard any broadcast on other servers. Luckily interest stayed strong and I hope you guys had fun with it as that was the true main purpose of this all. NOT TO TROLL OR PRANK, but to create atmosphere for the game.

After all, its our story right? And the devs are being very slow about making it creepy, ominous or "Apocalypse feeling". 

So hopefully now more people are aware that the radios in game work. Will it stop the metagming that I hate so much? No. I am not naive but it was still fun to see everyone s reactions and having fun with it. It put a big smile on my face. I hope that all of you will take the reigns and create similar content across servers for the countless THOUSANDS of players out there that don't even know these forums exist or that this transmission ever happened. So the first time they hear it they will also get that feeling of excitement. 

How did I do it? Very simple actually and I was actually laughing when Id see posts about how "professional" it sounded. I simply played a youtube video of UVB-76, recorded with my iPhone and using this website  http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/  played the coordinates to Green Mountain over and over again for a couple seconds. I spaced the numbers with ..... and pushed the speed down to -3. It sounded preatty legit so I then took the recording and had to continuously hit play over and over again into the VOIP mic since iPhones voice memo app does not have a loop feature. It was tedious to say the least and after a while got boring. So while I am glad everyone had fun with it, I could not sustain the tedious transmissions, ESPECIALLY since noone EVER heard it on any of the other servers I played it on. lol So frustrating lol. 

Anyway, I dont mean to disappoint anyone or kill the fun, just thought i'd spill the beans since I have not been transmitting for a while now and they have gone silent. I WILL however one day transmit again for the benefit of those not active on this forum who would get a kick out of hearing it crackle over the air waves. If anyone is interested in doing the same, let me know and I can post the audio file on drop box. 

TLDR:: It was me!!! Trolololol. No, it was fun, hope you all had fun to. 

P.S:: The morse code signal was a copy cat. I had nothing to do with that one. But glad to see people taking the reigns. 

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 22

Snip

My beans go to you sir, it was a rather entertaining topic. Every day I logged in to the forums just to check this topic in particular. Hopefully, we will get something like this when the game is fully released and I can talk to my friends about it so they get interested on the game too. 

-Zol

• Like 1

Does everyone agree how much cooler the in game system can be compared to using "cheats" like TS3 and mumble. 

Well outside of a contained environment there isnt much that you can do about it. I agree that it would be more awesome, but I get this knee jerk negitive reaction when people call it cheating. reaction wanting to call people morons for equating it to things like cheating. You may be able to set up a custom server with an honor system but there is no way to actually stop voip, or even a couple players together in the basement.

On the grounds of DayZ which is suppose to be an antigame/realistic/authentic. It is cheating because you are essentially metagaming and doing things outside the realms of "reality" that give you a unrealistic advantage, especially when the game gives you everything you need to communicate IN game. 

Granted, voip needs work and again nothing can stop people using it, but yes, I do equate it to cheating. You can call me a "moron" all you like. It does'nt fit in with the DayZ experience, IMO. 

• Like 3