Zalexey

Survivor's brain

Hey there! Sorry for the grammar - english is not my native language.

There're loads of "give life a value" suggestions nowadays. Death in DayZ currently is just a hardcore version of *being busted by cops* in GTA:SA - you loose all your gear while teleported away from recent action. When stashes, tents and vehicles will be implemented the end of character's life will be even less "game over" then now.

Current game breaking problems:

• Value of other survivor's life (neutral or hostile) is almost nil (you can only grab some of his blood while he is alive and captured).
  • Once dead you can run to hidden stash and gear up in minutes
  • Lack of player's identification in long term

Suggestion: add the second type of inventory - survivor's brain!

OZYs3Ae.jpg

Just as you use main inventory to collect items, with the "brain inventory" you collect memories of different kind. Items in "brain" cannot be looted by anyone else. Once survivor is dead all his "memories" are erased.

Examples of usage:

Stashes

I believe that stashes and tents will be very important after implementation. To beat the problem with "after death back up" stash I suggest the following.

When you create a stash your brain system automatically creates an anchor with coordinates. Your created stash will be linked to this anchor. Once you're dead - anchor erased - stash disappears. If you have a squad team or a friend, you can share any given anchor with him/them. This way stash will be persistent until at least one copy of it's anchor is alive. So if you play with group and one or two of yours die then you're lucky because you can meet up with your friend and he will share the anchor with you. More copies of stash anchor are alive - more chances  your team's hidden loot will not disappear. But once your group is ambushed and all of your teammates are killed - then all your stashes/tents are gone.

Once survivor is captured by hostile players they should try to receive his anchor/s (force him to share one or any of them) by the mean of saving his life and not executing him. One could simply imagine the type of interrogation going on (or even torture not just for lulz but on purpose). Could be a great feature if any given stash could be booby trapped. You can imagine different possibilities.

This concept could also work if you want to team up with someone new. You just start with sharing your anchors and this could lead to the team formation right in-game.

Anchors can also be used for vehicles secret locks (fuel blocks, engine bugs).

Contacts

Along with the anchors player can share and receive contact intel when standing close to someone. E.g. if you met friendly person, you talk, survive through some shit and then even if you want to go in different directions you want to stay in touch with him and be able later to recall his name, face and so on. I don't know about mechanics but I pretend it could work the same way the vicinity works in main inventory: you exchange your contacts via drag and drop. It could also be a great feature if contacts were tied not to in-game name but to GUID (or steam account) so even if in-game

name changes you will be updated with this information. And even a cooler thing - you could be able to see his face/body (the same way you can see yourself in main inventory).

Stats

There're many talks about  adding statistic or some kind of diary to the character. "Brain inventory" could fulfill these demands very well. Even current character status could suit this additional inventory screen apart from items, guns and clothes.

The main point here is that if you die, you'll lose it all. And if you're dead noone can take anything from "dead brain". And if anyone want something they have to ask you to share it (politely or not - it's up to them). But once you're dead - they have nothing (neither have you).

This concept is definitely subject to polish, clean up and rework.

Edited by Zalexey
  • Like 33

this is a very interesting idea. also, good work on the picture, it's informative and classy. 

I can't really see anything wrong with this, you're damn right that at the moment people place zero value on their characters (i do, but i'm one of the few), and this is definitely a way of increasing that perceived value. 

Um, I love this... I want to make sure Dean sees this somehow... You should post it to the DayZ Subreddit

Um, I love this... I want to make sure Dean sees this somehow... You should post it to the DayZ Subreddit

Before this I have to polish text and make it a bit shorter and readable. Also reddit currently is stuffed with shitty suggestions and its like a suggestion allergy there.  

• Like 3

Does rocket not care about ideas posted on this forum unless it gets the approval of reddit?

I just saw this on reddit.

As I said over there, needs working into a notebook.

Notebook would be readable by other players when you're tied up and offer information about what sort of player you are.

When they die you should be able to take it, have a small collection.

Take things from your mind... Stick in in your notebook (locations, co-ordinates, the contacts)

Some things should instantly be there like player kills and how much you've helped people.

Things like polaroid pictures would be cool to stick in there.

Can rip paper/ pages from it to write notes too.

Have some beans for not only having an awesome idea but because your English grammar is better than mine! ;)

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

Great suggestion and presentation.  Hope it gathers a following on reddit.

:/ not really a fully positive response.

But a response it got.

At first, when I read "survivor's brain", I thought, "oh fuck, here we go with another daft suggestion", but then I read about how it would work with stashes and thought, "That's... actually a genius idea".

What a good idea, I can see this working out well. You could use the brain system to memorize things like manuals for fixing up cars or helicoptors too. It would give you something to bargin with if your life is in danger. Well done.

Damn, this could trigger a whole new level of gameplay, think of all the possibilities, screenshots being saved as memories ingame, which would wash out or change if you got seriously sick, the possibility to remember epic, happy or near-death moments, more kinds of sicknesses that effect the brain, so memories and thoughts might be erased, and so much more!

I luv this!

Awesome idea. Not only increases your lifes value, but also might encourage ppl to find friends in the game so that they have a save place to store their booty xD

i spoke about something similar before on this thread: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/167340-classes-and-specializations/?p=1699280

Perhaps this can fit into your idea as well IF poisonous plants get introduced.

This suggestion is only a subtle description change.  But would be vital to your survival in Chenarus. 

Poisonous Plant Identification

When you come across a plant, you can observe it in 4 ways: You eat it, someone else eats it, you compare it with an Identification guide, or someone teaches you.  Once observed, the description of the item changes for your character.

Default Message:

All berries, mushrooms, etc. start of with a generic description like: "This berry is red with white dots on it.  I never ate this berry before and dont know if it is safe to eat. "

Observation Messages:

You eat/ Dont get sick:  After 10 minutes, if nothing happens, the plant description changes to: "I have eaten this berry.  It seems safe to eat."

You eat/ Get sick:  "This berry made me sick the last time I ate it."

Someone else eats it:  "I seen someone eat this before.  He got horribly sick soon after."

Identification guide: "Based upon the guide I found, This item looks very similar to a highly poisonous variety." <--- Guide is not always helpful.  Give it to your hostage, he eats everything. ;)

Someone teaches you:  "Someone told me that this plant is very safe to eat."  <--- should you trust that person's information?  

Sharing Information (or False information :D)

If you have fresh berries/mushrooms on hand, then you can share your knowledge with other nearby survivors (if they chose to accept it).  Sharing would be similar to OP suggestions.  The teacher would have 2 options when sharing, true information and false information. 

First-hand observation would override shared information.  
Example: If someone taught you that the berry is safe, but you eat it and get sick, then the poisonous description now shows up by default. 

Other Uses of Learning

Learning could extend to drinking water safety, wound treatment, medical supplies and techniques, vehicle repair, weapon maintence, and crafting instructions.

Edited by UnarmedCiv
  • Like 3

oh woah, i really like those ideas, contacts/anchors/edible not edible plants

Beans for originality and presentation. Not sure if I'd want to see this implemented personally but like that you've thought laterally.

I really like the contacts part . Just think of seeing and teaming with a friendly fresh spawn like yu , you both run through chemo and at the last building you raid , they encounter a group of bandits that are looking for blood . During the encounter one of the sides spot the other and gunfire then ensues ... The two friendlies get split up but both make it out of

The chaos to find eachother again in the north and the best part would be ... They'd RECOGNIZE eachother and team up again instead of shooting on sight because of the Terror the bandits caused... Definitely a good start to conquering the issue of two on edge friendlies / heroes killing each other .. And the stash thing I do like but what happens when someone finds the stash as its disappearing it would look weird and unrealistic .. Maybe a mini earth quake could physically erase the stash from existance when the owner of said stash / anchor dies ? Haha kind of weird but I really would

Like to see this idea implemented down to the tee with no repercussions.

The stash system wouldn't work, because you could have a guy who could log in if you die, and share the "anchor".

It SHOULD be that, if nobody else is online who knows the anchor when the person with the anchor "unlocked" dies, the stash would be deleted. This'd prevent another type of serverhopping.

I'm surprised at how well the community here has taken it. They usually shoot down any topic about thinning down the KOS, or adding an additional value to keeping yourself alive like a heat-seeking rocket on the tail of an F-13 fighter jet. But, I agree with everything else.

gg