Otis.Driftwood

tactical hand signals

We need them because there needs to be alternatives to supplementary voip. You should be able to team up with friendly people that you meet, but the need to use voice chat for basic stuff gives away your position.

Using a voip program is an exploit that gives an unfair advantage to people who squad up out of game. I don't mind, and I use Skype with my friends to meet up and communicate, but we do need systems that give a bit of power back to those who don't, and provide an alternative for players who don't want to use the exploit.

• Like 1

I like the idea but where are we going to find 43 hot keys for each one with everything else ingame?

You could do this "left 4 dead" style. Holding one button down brings circular menu where you can choose from various gestures with a mouse. (not that many though as OP suggested though, agreed).

Anyhow current "one button for each command" is a bit clumsy tbh.

They could also make one for basic voice commands, if not feeling to use microphone all the time. (freeze, stop, hello, friendly, etc.)

• Like 1

A Battlefield/L4D style commo-rose would be extremely useful for this and many other things. Fast and easy and can let you convey a lot to other players.

Edited by myshl0ng

I like the idea but where are we going to find 43 hot keys for each one with everything else ingame?

Absolutely amazing.

Too bad theres too many signals and you wont be able to bind them all and memorize which key was it.

Maybe just the most important ones should be implemented.

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

What about using the same tree structure as for ARMA squad communication - the first time you press the 'F' keys you get a group of signals to choose from - say movement commands or numbers, and the second time you get the gesture within that group. Or you could have a radial set up for gestures using the number pad with the same sub-grouping. You get pretty fast with familiarity and a bit of practice.

What about using the same tree structure as for ARMA squad communication - the first time you press the 'F' keys you get a group of signals to choose from - say movement commands or numbers, and the second time you get the gesture within that group. Or you could have a radial set up for gestures using the number pad with the same sub-grouping. You get pretty fast with familiarity and a bit of practice.

This would work just fine if implemented.

Couldn't you simply type something like /cool or /warning or /comeout in the textchat-box to initiate movement?

Or maybe a button that opens a menu with all the different hand signals you can make. It could be clickable, or it could just display the key you'd need to press while the menu is up.

Why do you need these signals when you can use voice communication?

Same reason the Police and Military use this lol.

Because sometimes its simply do dangerous to talk, you need silence to surprise your target.

But this is an awsome idea.

Im sure it could get implemented in a 100 different ways, but i would say, cut it down to the 5-10 most needed ones, we really dont need 43 new key binds lol ;)

Or maybe a button that opens a menu with all the different hand signals you can make. It could be clickable, or it could just display the key you'd need to press while the menu is up.

This would most likely not be ideal either, because the situation you are using theese in, often calls for speed.

So it should be a simple single or dobbel click of a button, nothing more :)

We need to be able to do it swiftly, without impairing our vision in any way :)

Edited by Byrgesen

It could be made kinda like how the current voice message system works in RO2 (I hate it for voicemessages, but it could be quite handy for these kind of messages). Press "V" for general stuff, or "B" for orders. When you press and hold those keys a box appears on the screen with various themes "Acknowledgements", "Locations", "Movement" etc, you then move mouse to a theme box and a further box appears with various choices for messages. You move mouse to a box and left click, and the player says that message. 2 or 3 keys would then be all that was needed in order to include all 43.

SLCommandWidget.jpg

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 1

The idea sounds really good in theory, but I think it would fall flat in practice. As it has been stated a few times hand and arm signals are as SOP with a few exceptions (Halt and freeze are pretty much universal as are hand signals for communicating with a HELO) the issue I see is that they are going to just throw in a ton of hand signals that will need to be bound one way or another with a semi significant meaning and the usefulness will be negated. 
 If you have a tight knit group of friends you play with and establish an SOP for what means what you are probably using an out of game VOIP program such as Skype or Teamspeak. If you are using them to communicate with a random friendly you just ran into that person might have a meaning assigned to a hand gesture that differs from what you intend it to mean, yet again negating the usefulness.
 I love the idea in theory, but I would prefer developers use time on more pressing issues.

Just my 2 cents.

Absolutely amazing.

Too bad theres too many signals and you wont be able to bind them all and memorize which key was it.

Maybe just the most important ones should be implemented.

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

I actually posted this in another thread. 

The best way to implement this would be to have a menu activation key and a mouse over activation much like maya. You can add catagories to make the menu smaller but It would likely be better to have all options available immediately for speed.

001-maya-beginner-basics-06.jpg

it would be possible to have a "battlefield 2-4" kind of meny for the signals, think its called Commo Rose. Hold a button, example "T" and a round list of commands pop up, this could be used to give signs.

It was said earlier in the thread, but how do you expect civilians to know all these hand signals?

Either do some research into them or make something up. It's a game, after all. All that matters is that everyone in your group understands what each hand and arm signal is.

Either do some research into them or make something up. It's a game, after all. All that matters is that everyone in your group understands what each hand and arm signal is.

as in, how is your character supposed to know in-game? they are most likely civilians after all 

also what about if your group is behind you? or trailing you from a different direction?

It was said earlier in the thread, but how do you expect civilians to know all these hand signals?

How does civilian handle Mosin with high range scope?

• Like 1

as in, how is your character supposed to know in-game? they are most likely civilians after all

also what about if your group is behind you? or trailing you from a different direction?

Ah, gotcha! Well, most hand and arm signals are self explanatory. Also, in real life as a civilian, you could still easily come up with a random meaning for the signals. I.E. Raising your rifle may mean you see teddy bears. You dont have to be in the military to use hand and arm signals. Hunters, police officers, and even paint ballets use them. You simply using your hands to communicate is using hand and arm signals. Like pointing at your eyes with two fingers then pointing at something with your index finger is a way of telling someone you see something. In other words, everyone, regardless of occupation, race, or nationality, uses hand and arm signals.

As for people behind you, just turn around and face them. You can tell them to "halt" or "freeze" then give them the signal that you want to give. For people at a distance, just use your hands and arms.

For night time, flashing your flash light in different intervals is another way to communicate to friendlies. If they know the code, you could flash your light three times, then they respond with two flashes, then you finish off with one flash. That tells both parties "hey, he's friendly!"

You can come up with whatever you want so long as the other party understands what's being said or done.

Edited by TheNorCalSniper
  • Like 2

dunno how does a civilian know how to dial range on a high power scope and swap assault rifle stocks.

Top 3 reasons why to add this to the game!

1. Did you just signal "Go Here or Move Up"? Nah, I was just fanning away a fart...

2. Okay, I just mapped every key on my keyboard to a the hand signals... now.... how to move...

3. "AWESOME!!!!! I just looted a chart that shows all of hand signals and what they mean..." Okay now, that signal was.... Hold on, opening my chart! "This is so cool!" That was.... (BANG, you're dead) ... a sniper is aiming at me... Great, now I have to find that chart in game again...