nighhawk

What should I use to record?

So I've been researching on what I can use to record playing dayz. I've tried fraps, but realized it wasn't free. What do you guys use to record? It needs to be free (limitless for record time and no trials or anything like that).

Edited by kg360

Bandicam, don't use fraps. You can get it free..places. 

I use OBS.

Though, if you're running Win 8, don't try to record anything in 1080. And you may have to have play windowed as well. There is something about OBS that doesn't like Win 8 all that much.

If you have an HD PVR, say for consoles... Duplicate your screen, run the HDMI to the PVR, and have it recorded to your PC, or to a different PC if yours cant handle the game and recording. And assuming you have an HDMI output. Though I don't know how well that would work.

I use OBS and will never use anything else to stream/record again.

Shodowplay IFF nVidia and a 6xx or 7xx gen card. Bandicam if not or if you have a 4xx or 5xx gen nVidia card.

ShadowPlay if you have NVIDIA. Does not affect your FPS at all. Truth.

While this may be true, using ShadowPlay with Shadow option of 20 minutes gave me massive FPS drop spikes when entering cities, or whenever I turn / zoom in / make one step in those.

I use free version of Bandicam. Been using it for about 7-8 months.

Pros: Easy to use, my vids come out really good and it rarely messes with my FPS. The vids don't take up a ton of space on my PC.

Cons: The only thing I don't like about it is the watermark. The free version also only will record 10 min. maximum at a time.

I'm thinking about buying it. The only other recording software I've used for PC is Fraps and that fucked my FPS all up, as well as took up too much space for each vid.

Plenty of options out there, try as many as you can and see how each plays out for ya.

Dxtory works best for me you can get it for free in the dark corners of the internet i lose about 2 fps. with fraps i lose 10 to 20.

While this may be true, using ShadowPlay with Shadow option of 20 minutes gave me massive FPS drop spikes when entering cities, or whenever I turn / zoom in / make one step in those.

I also use Shadowplay. I've been really happy with it so far, minus a little bit of studdering in the recorded footage now and then (remember it's in beta). Just downloaded the new update, so going to record at 30 FPS vs 60 to test.