drgreenz420

thoughts on renaming towns/cities? or at least adding a map?

First of all.. let me start off by saying this is just a topic that i felt i needed to learn more about.

im a brand new player to this game!, and i love it so far. i didnt play the mod unfortunately, but i believe that this game is all about realism and survival. i love what the stand alone has so far, and believe me i understand there is definitely more to come, but in my perspective, the Map and russian setting alone are just confusing, (please understand that it is just my opinion the last thing i want to do is see people rage about a suggestion or opinion..)

let me explain what i mean..

> in Dayz, players are thrust out into a world that is meant to be confusing, some sort of apocalyptic scenario just played out, and its time to survive.., but in the standalone, without a map, some/most players are forced to use a player made map online.. and some people say it is "cheating" or "unrealistic" or just "noobish".. what are your thoughts?

>cities are very hard to even pronounce for most people i play with, which only adds to the confusion for most people.. when trying to find friends i sometimes get lost because some of the names are so similar.. i know that it takes time to get used to the map, but with such a huge playground.. it would take weeks if not months to fully know the map by heart, making it almost seem like you HAVE to be a diehard Dayz veteran to know exactly where you can go to find certain things. again what are your thoughts?

>Reasons that i believe we should have a map.

1.we spawn on a beach (most of the time) that leads me to believe that we were shipwrecked.. and its understandable knowing that we arrived on an island we knew nothing about, why we wouldnt have a map!

2.if the shipwrecked idea didnt work.. that means we were definately FROM the land we all roam around. therefor why wouldnt we have any idea where we are!

3.maybe we all went crazy when the apocalypse happened.. and thats why we cant explain where we are or even what the basis of the game is.. who knows all we know how to do is survive.. (and that would be kind of boring..)

> i know this game is played by a diverse group of players from around the world, PLEASE!! dont hate me for trying to give my opinion, all i want to know is what people think about this layout, im sure i left a few things out that i had on my mind when i began typing.. but im sure it will be covered as i respond to you guys! again this is just me.. and i may be taking it all in, in the wrong manner, so please share your thoughts on if you like the city names, or if you think there needs to be a map. also feel free trying to explain to me what happened to us to make us end up where we are. 

please do not be disrespectful.. i simply want to know what other players thoughts are, (remember that i have never played the mod, and that i may be misinformed on some of this) have fun posting im sure this will be a fun topic!

There is a ingame item, that is indeed a mapo, they spawn in gas stations alot of the time.

You DO have a map silly :D

You just gotta go find it.

Also, try playing some ARMA 2, it'll help you get used to the map.

Playing with an ARMA and/or DayZ veteran helps too. They'll show you the ropes.

(For example, the 2 major cities are usually nicknamed Cherno and Electro)

Edited by Geckofrog7

Okay, just need to clarify... i left this out before, i have recieved in game maps.. and from what i have seen on the forums, most people rarely use them or hate them in general. but most of them are found in cars.. which are nowhere near the spot you spawn at.. therefor you have no idea where you are going for some time... unless you have the help of a full map on the internet, saves time, saves hassle. especially if you fall to bandits over and over again, just to lose all of your gear and map pieces, just to be lost and without anything again. 

i just want to know thoughts on if we need a HUD like map, or just a full map in general, that has nothing to do with the shape its in, or if it even has anything on it other than just where cities are, i would love to just see a map, that shows terrain and cities, no tips on where to find certain things, just a map that lets you find (once) populated areas, where people may have left things behind, its all up to you to find the stuff..

Edited by drgreenz420

Disorientation is the idea behind the no map from the get go and really, they should absolutely keep it that way. I can almost guarantee we won't see a HUD map and really don't want it to be honest. Dayz is not and never will be a game of convenience and thank god Rocket for that!

In saying the above, you will eventually get to know the map and city names, it just will take some time. ;)  

Edited by R.Neville

Disorientation is the idea behind the no map from the get go and really, they should absolutely keep it that way.

i honestly agree with this, but i think that they started off on the wrong foot by not even explaining to anyone what happened, or how we got where we are.., like i said we spawn on a beach, that makes me think we were shipwrecked and therefor it is FULLY understandable that we dont know where we are.

on the other hand, if we were from that "island/country" why in the world would we NOT know where we are at! (hence the map suggestion)

Not knowing where you are is all apart of the fun, man!

I never played the mod either, but believe me; Watch FRANKIEonPCin1080p's DayZ series from the start, and you will get to know the map and the mechanics of DayZ very quickly, whilst being entertained.

That's what I did, and now I know the map comfortably well :3

I hereby declare that Balota be renamed to knoCC's Town or knoCCturnalota or knoCCknoCC will blow your fuckin head off...town.

Or we could just stick with Balota.

there is just so many other things in my mind that i cant think out the right way to explain why i believe we should have a map... i just hope that for some of us they add a preference..or at least incorporate a map into a beginner category. a lot of players have an advantage over new players, and its hard to be thrown into a game where the veterans are mostly bandits, that know where everything is, and the beginners are mostly genuinely just trying to figure it out and get slaughtered and never find out where the hell they are going! lol 

That's why you come up with pseudonyms for cities or you actually learn how to spell them and stick with it. No carebear english translations for lazy americans, thxbye.

That's why you come up with pseudonyms for cities or you actually learn how to spell them and stick with it. No carebear english translations for lazy americans, thxbye.

No bikes for lazy whereeveryourfrom, thx bye.

there is that small town with no names north than Komarovo which my clan nicknamed "waterpump town", since there's more of those than people :p

I like the idea of having to find out where you are, altough after travelling for a while I start to recognize places and know directions. Like in real life!