need matches

Priority of patches fixes

DISCLAIMER: I am a long time mod player and day one SA alpha buyer. This post is not about intrinsic issues with an alpha release. This post is about the order in which patch fixes are implemented in the alpha release.

I hope we aren't seeing another incarnation of the mod where we get "shiny" new functions while pre-existing fundamental game issues continue.

For example:

1. Zombie bugs.

2. Item hotkeys not working.

Zombies walking through walls. Multiple presses of hotkeys needed to change armed/held items.

It comes down to this: Do you want hunting, vehicles, crafting, etc. BEFORE zombies are fixed, or after zombies are fixed? I want the return of hunting very much. But I think most of us would like a stable game before anything else is added. I think it makes sense to fix these issues now, sooner than later, than to have them fixed at the end of the alpha cycle.

With every patch that doesn't address issues like the two listed above, I grow more apprehensive. I'm willing to wait longer for a bigger patch. I don't care if we get a patch every week. I'd rather see a patch that stabilizes basic gameplay.

Right now I have not seen this addressed in any official DayZ SA post. I hear talk about vehicles and other things. Why not this?

I am willing to give the alpha every benefit of the doubt. I want it to be the best game it can be. That's why I'm here. But it's a guess as to the strategy of the patch fixes. I'm going to grow tired of things being added like spray paint if zombies keep swimming in floors and player's body parts keep glitching through buildings.

Isn't it kinda simple? Some problems might take some time to fix, so why stall everything else?

It's not like there's only "devs", able to work on everything.

Obviously, you have guys working on code, others on security, others design new items, others implement / model them, whatever. Better progress to get stuff in that's already done, right? Or did I miss some point here?

Besides, you always have to fix something. Might as well do it early with new things. You basically add onto a framework or core structure. Things are connected.

In short, I'm certain it's logic (mostly, more or less) to do stuff like that. Also, I hear some guys are still rather new and have to get settled a bit over there.

E:

We should only expect minimum standards in all areas once it's in Beta, late Beta or in a full release phase.

Edited by Combine
  • Like 2

Well, Dean added zombies as an excuse for people to be in a survival situation like in Dayz. So I don't think that the zombies are a priority right now. Also, they fixed bugs that are present in the current build and are going to release the fixes and new features on the next experimental update. I don't know the ETA of that update plus the stable one, but I don't think that we'll be seeing a fix to zombies in a LONG while. What I'm guessing is that they add features first, fix bugs later.

Edited by AntonioAJC

Basically the issues aren't gamebreaking to most people in its current form so they choose to ignore the bad stuff in favor of more fun stuff (perhaps because its still alpha).

I agree though that there are glaring issues that need to be fixed, especially the zombie glitching.

Like Combine said, different types of developers are working in different parts of the development.

And by the way? Why are your item-hotkeys are not working, they work fine for me! And the zombies are walking most times through the doors (the closed doors, yes, but the doors ;) ) I think it got a lot better than in the mod, and it will be fixed, if we let them some time working on it. Even when you are right (it is very important and has to get fixed) - we can be happy about every new item and every new building we are given by the developers :)

what I don't understand is why, after they have millions from alpha sales, they can't expand their dev team? or have they?

what I don't understand is why, after they have millions from alpha sales, they can't expand their dev team? or have they?

They already said they're (always / recently?) getting new guys that try to get settled.