Sign in to follow this  
ipod1919

Is this OK for young teens?

About the player interaction, remember he is behind a monitor and so is the other player. No harm can be done. At all. Unless your son has serious mental issues, but I'm sure it's not the case.

Harm can be done has been done severely already! Some people cannot cope well with some things that are said/done over the internet. Cyber bullying can be very very harsh and is not to be underestimated.

Harm can be done has been done severely already! Some people cannot cope well with some things that are said/done over the internet. Cyber bullying can be very very harsh and is not to be underestimated.

That falls into "serious mental issues". A normal person doesn't kill himself for words over the internet.

I unfortunately know very well of what I'm talking about.

Edited by iRazgriz
  • Like 1

It does not fall into serious mental issues. Do you know what serious mental issues are??

Cyber bullying is a big problem nowadays and young teens don't always know how to cope with such bullying. Serious mental issues are not the cause for depression/suicide, ..., but instead it's cyber bullying that can lead to mental issues.

"Cyberbullying is an intense form of psychological abuse, whose victims are more than twice as likely to suffer from mental disorders compared to traditional bullying.".

-"Cyberthreat: How to protect yourself from online bullying". Ideas and Discoveries (Ideas and Discoveries): 76. 2011.

Edited by Matman

That falls into "serious mental issues". A normal person doesn't kill himself for words over the internet.

I unfortunately know very well of what I'm talking about.

You do not need to have a "serious mental issue" to be affected by stuff like this mate.

And please dont use the definition "normal person" theres no such thing lol, we are all different individuals and we all act/react in different ways to everything. :)

Again, i dont believe this is a game for a 14 year old, no matter the "mental condition" of the child, coz thats the thing, 14 is still a child.

It does not fall into serious mental issues. Do you know what serious mental issues are??

Cyber bullying is a big problem nowadays and young teens don't always know how to cope with such bullying. Serious mental issues are not the cause for depression/suicide, ..., but instead it's cyber bullying that can lead to mental issues.

"Cyberbullying is an intense form of psychological abuse, whose victims are more than twice as likely to suffer from mental disorders compared to traditional bullying.".

-"Cyberthreat: How to protect yourself from online bullying". Ideas and Discoveries (Ideas and Discoveries): 76. 2011.

I would say hostile action from other players in DayZ can't be considered as bullying.

I would say hostile action from other players in DayZ can't be considered as bullying.

I know , I was actually generally speaking about bullying. However, in the case of DayZ it's easy to know the other player's steam name. But I think you're right that (serious) bullying in DayZ doesn't really happen.

PS: Don't rely on the PEGI/ESRB ratings because they are completely outdated and do not work at all. Violence in video games is usually completely okay as long as your child realizes it's a GAME. Most teens realize that. I've played violent games(like Call of Duty 2) since I was 12 and I have never punched somebody in real life, I'm a real pacifist :D.

A game where I'd rely on the ratings is definitely GTA(17+).

You might see it this way mate, but they are there for a reason, to try and guide people and help them.

Its nothing but a guideline, use it if you want or dont, but its there for a reason tbh.

And i never said "rely on it", i stated it was there and used another users comment, to point out why its there :)

And i have to say, just because you turned out to be a pacifist, does not mean the other 7 billion people on this planet will?  :)

I am in the same boat as you, never hit anyone, unless it was self defense, but are everybody like this? hell no hehe.

Edited by Byrgesen

Good on you for checking before you buy the game! A lot of parents don't seem to have any clue what their kids are doing, and it results in some of the posts you see in this thread. 

If i were you i'd watch some videos on youtube, it won't be available in single player. So i might as well point out that online games are a lot like the real world, but with no social etiquette, so you'll meet alot of different people, sometimes they'll be nice and other times you'll meet people who are complete pricks. 

If your kid can't handle someone being rude/mean to them, in a sensible manner, then it's probably be better not to get them this game. Kids who don't get that a complete strangers opinion doesn't matter to them seem to turn into the worst screaming wrecks around. 

so basically - if he doesn't get the core concept of "life isn't fair", then maybe wait a bit before online games.

I played GTA when i was 14 and various online games.

I've got a degree and a decent full time job in IT.. 

Your son will be exposed to the world sooner or later you can't cotton wool him too much or his mind won't develop.

Hi

I have two questions.  My son is going to be 14 in a couple of months.

1.  Is this game OK for a 14 year old?

2. If it is can he play it without going on multi-player?  That would be a requirement for us to allow it either way.

Thanks

all that could happen is some killer is gonna chase him with an axe (and eventually kill him), he will get robbed, handcuffed and poisoned. Some people can imitate copulation moves on his character.

Otherwise it is all good.

If you ask this question then nothing but carebears and my lil pony is gonna be ok for him.  You shelter him to long and your gonna give him a hard life imo.  Let the kid experience life.  Let him be prepared for people like us in the workplace before he gets there thinking everyone farts rainbows.

If you ask this question then nothing but carebears and my lil pony is gonna be ok for him.  You shelter him to long and your gonna give him a hard life imo.  Let the kid experience life.  Let him be prepared for people like us in the workplace before he gets there thinking everyone farts rainbows.

So you want him to prepare his 14 year old child, for a day at work where his co workers cuff him and force feed him rotten fruit? :D

Jokes aside i understand what you mean, but are we really gonna expose our children to everything in the world as early as possible?

They will experience life, no doubt about it, but does it have to be when you are very young? 

Cant parent teach some of theese things, instead of him having to learn everything on his own?

Edited by Byrgesen

js that 14 is high school.  Its sad to me that parents shelter their kids so bad that they get in high school and get separated from all the other kids cause parents wont stop pampering them.  They get isolated in high school not knowing how to cope with bullies and such.  Hell when we where growing up we didnt even wear seatbelts in cars.  Ate natural butter..You wanna prepare your kid for the world?  Let them interact with people before they are forced to and dont know how to act.  Just my opinion.  I have an 11 year old and a 10 year old both on honor roll active in sports and my daughter a cheerleader.  Boy almost won state for wrestling.  My boy plays call of duty on xbox live and talks smack as he's playing.  Its being a kid.  You want your kid ready for the world you instill in them morals and a will to fight for what they want and you point them in the right directions.  Just my thoughts.  Good luck either way.  

js that 14 is high school.  Its sad to me that parents shelter their kids so bad that they get in high school and get separated from all the other kids cause parents wont stop pampering them.  They get isolated in high school not knowing how to cope with bullies and such.  Hell when we where growing up we didnt even wear seatbelts in cars.  Ate natural butter..You wanna prepare your kid for the world?  Let them interact with people before they are forced to and dont know how to act.  Just my opinion.  I have an 11 year old and a 10 year old both on honor roll active in sports and my daughter a cheerleader.  Boy almost won state for wrestling.  My boy plays call of duty on xbox live and talks smack as he's playing.  Its being a kid.  You want your kid ready for the world you instill in them morals and a will to fight for what they want and you point them in the right directions.  Just my thoughts.  Good luck either way.  

I agree with almost everything, but would like to point out, that interacting with people IRL and online are two completely different things and are very difficult to compare.

Simply because people online tend to act like idiots, because theres no face to talk to. It makes a world of a difference, to actually stand in front of someone and have a conversation with them.

I am just afraid children, who gets introduced to this "culture" to early, will not be able to distinguish the two as well as the ones who have learned how things are in the real world and online, in a "proper" way, thus we end up with millions of people who act like complete idiots 24/7.

Just by writing this, i came to the conclusion, this is actually already happening in the world :(

My 2 cents :) And no i do not have children of my own yet, but will in a few years.

I work with kids though, and have done for about 8 years now.

EDIT:

Just a quick question, would you like your boy to talk to people he meets in the real world, the same way he talk to the other children he plays COD with? Talk "smack" as you call it.

I would be embarrased of such a behavior tbh and some children are having a real hard time distinguishing theese two "worlds"

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

If for no other reason, I would not purchase this game for your son as a birthday present because it is a long way off of being finished yet and is missing tons of features.

Buy him a retail version game, else he may be disappointed.

• Like 1

I am sure lot's of fathers answered already.

DayZ is no different from any other mature title, SP or MP. Skyrim, fallout, metro, saint's row, etc...

All have the same amount of violence and bloodshed. Heck even God of War had some sexual mechanics in the game.

If that would not be enough for you to make a solid decision ( which I find very strange... ) you'll have all the multiplayer component with absolutely everything you can imagine plus what you cannot.

My final answer to my offspring is, especially because of the MP, No.

This game is not meant to be played by people under 18 (years). Due to the players you can and will meet I would not recommend this game for anyone that is under that age.

Can't wait till I meet your son in game.

Laughed out loud.. Sadistic bastard :p

• Like 1

Shelter your child more. Wait until theyre 24 before you release them into the real world.

Then the world can abuse them even harder.

• Like 1

No, this is not a game for a 14 year old boy. Includes a lot of graphic and sadistic ways to dispose of people.

What? Wrong game buddy.

You shoot people. And no disposing is done.

Hi

I have two questions.  My son is going to be 14 in a couple of months.

1.  Is this game OK for a 14 year old?

2. If it is can he play it without going on multi-player?  That would be a requirement for us to allow it either way.

Thanks

I'm probably your age and don't think you should buy this for your son. This is a game for a grown adult, not for a 14 year old.

A good parent wouldn't buy this for his kid. Hope that helps your decision.

Damn. That's strict.

Answer: It is suitable now, but will it be in the future when they add more features; judging by the paa files "shit.paa" "piss.paa" etc, it will be quite a distasteful game for kids if you can force-feed feces etc.