Sign in to follow this  
Demoth

So M4 accuracy.....

So I've seen and heard a lot about how terrible the M4 is when it comes to accuracy. Personally, I haven't even shot mine yet because I never actually see anyone in this game, I just get immediately wasted without any warning (I try to be slow and methodical, but I guess people who have played the game longer know the best camp spots)

Still, I've died about 8 times on different servers from being killed by other players, and they have ALL had full decked M4's and then lit me up hard. I don't always know their distances, but some of the spots I've died in there was no cover for many MANY meters (like 300 or so) and I hear the *thunk, thunk, thunk* and then I die.

Furthermore, why does EVERYONE and their mother have an M4? I thought they were stupidly rare. I admit, I server hopped to get mine because I really wanted to play around with it and I was tired of always coming face to face with people who KOS with it.... though so far it hasn't mattered because I still get shot without any warning. I also can't tell if this game has bad audio because I can never tell which direction I'm being shot from, unlike in both other games and in real life where I'm always able to immediately tell where shots are coming from, or at LEAST get a general idea.

whoa dude you think the m4 does not shoot right?

DUDE 

Use the search function 

• Like 1

The accuracy depends on what attachments are on the gun with MAG PULL attachments being the best.  But more importantly the condition of the actual gun.  At this point you cant see the condition because its bugged and the only way to determine the accuracy is to test the gun out and see how close your bullets group up.  If the gun is shooting way off from where you are aiming you have a poorly conditioned gun and is pretty muh usless.   

• Like 1

Yeah it's very innacurate. It's not so bad at 50-100m but over that the spread is absolutely awful. Something else I hate right now is the piss weak sounds the guns have

The accuracy depends on what attachments are on the gun with MAG PULL attachments being the best.  But more importantly the condition of the actual gun.  At this point you cant see the condition because its bugged and the only way to determine the accuracy is to test the gun out and see how close your bullets group up.  If the gun is shooting way off from where you are aiming you have a poorly conditioned gun and is pretty muh usless.   

Condition of items has no effect in the game yet, whatsoever. It has not been implemented

Do note that the lack of any available foregrip attachment will have a detrimental affect on your accuracy, whether shooting fully-automatic or taking more precise shots down range.

Condition of items has no effect in the game yet, whatsoever. It has not been implemented

Not true. Although I don't know the full extent of how certain items are affected, I know that certain optical sights (such as the PU Scope or ACOG) are cracked and inaccurate when badly damaged or ruined. I cannot confirm the validity of whether firearms are affected by an unforeseeable quality check in place.

Explain to me why i just had a M4 with pristine mp accessories shot completely off target.  I switched my attatchments to my buddies rifle and it shot like a lazer beam.  Also pristine Long range scope on a mosin shoots dead on.  Switched it too another mosin and it shoots always to the left.  There is only one explanation, the condition of the gun itself.  I dont have any source but i was watching a stream and Hicks was in there in the chat room and was saying that it is a bug, the weapons do have a quality but its bugged and doesnt show up.  Also explains why some magnums and FNX  sometimes wont fire when you pick them up.  Its conditoin os obviuosly ruined.  So im sure youre wrong dude.

I've come across M4's, which I for the life of me, couldn't place two bullets in the same spot from 50m. Perhaps it was coincidence, but another M4 I found was way more accurate.

Edited by Holdt

I've come across M4's, which I for the life of me, couldn't place two bullets in the same spot from 50m. Perhaps it was coincidence, but another M4 I found was way more accurate.

exactly.

Explain to me why i just had a M4 with pristine mp accessories shot completely off target.  I switched my attatchments to my buddies rifle and it shot like a lazer beam.  Also pristine Long range scope on a mosin shoots dead on.  Switched it too another mosin and it shoots always to the left.  There is only one explanation, the condition of the gun itself.  I dont have any source but i was watching a stream and Hicks was in there in the chat room and was saying that it is a bug, the weapons do have a quality but its bugged and doesnt show up.  Also explains why some magnums and FNX  sometimes wont fire when you pick them up.  Its conditoin os obviuosly ruined.  So im sure youre wrong dude.

Sure, that's why the devs have confirmed that item condition is not yet implemented. Unless it is only implemented for weapons? It sucks then, as the M4 is the only weapon you can currently see the condition of

Edited by Irenicus

If the guns right now are not affected by condition then shame on them for implementing random deviation like it is some arcade game. Seriously hope it gets fixed.

Sure, that's why the devs have confirmed that item condition is not yet implemented. Unless it is only implemented for weapons? It sucks then, as the M4 is the only weapon you can currently see the condition of

You cant really determine the condition of the M4, only the condition of the attachments.  The actual weapon condition is unforeseen.  But is there and makes a difference trust me we have tested it out as have others.  But its weird.  Some items in the game condition does matter  like attachments, mags(you cant load a ruined mag into a gun the traditional way you have to use your scroll wheel), but a lot of other items condition does not matter yet. But later on im curious to see what condition will actually mean for certain items. Cant wait!!! 

I lost a fight even though I had the drop on somebody with an M4.  I was about 5 feet away and I swear, every shot (about 6) went totally around him with the cross hair on his chest.  Not one friggen bullet hit him, just saw the white poofs around him.  Really inaccurate even using bursts.  Switch to Mosen whenever I can get it. 

Right now the M4 is totally inaccurate and not realistic. 

Best accuracy you can get is pristine ACOG, pristine MAGPUL buttstock, and bipod. Lay down and wait until your breath steadies. I can get a nice grouping up to 500m and have taken zombies out at that distance with 1 shot.

It is highly inaccurate if you're standing, have worn parts, breathing heavily, or moving. Then again, it wasn't meant to be a surgical gun, it's a broomstick meant to clear out close quarters.

Is it possible to hit objects beyond 200m? Easily under the right conditions.

• Like 5

I have no prblem using an m4 if its an accurate one.  I've killed people up to 500 meters.  But you ahve to watch out for mosins as well cause some of them will deviate the bullet way left.  And some of them are dead on.  Its pretty frustrating not knowing but it will all be fixed with time.  ALPHA :)

• Like 1

I lost a fight even though I had the drop on somebody with an M4.  I was about 5 feet away and I swear, every shot (about 6) went totally around him with the cross hair on his chest.  Not one friggen bullet hit him, just saw the white poofs around him.  Really inaccurate even using bursts.  Switch to Mosen whenever I can get it. 

Right now the M4 is totally inaccurate and not realistic. 

You have to realize, that may not be the gun. It may be latency. Also, don't expect any accuracy with more than 1 shot. Even small bursts will be inaccurate and if you've ever fired a full auto rifle, totally realistic. This isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield. Those games aren't realistic in any way shape or form. Fire a REAL rifle on burst or full auto and you'll see how accurate it really is.

• Like 5

^^ This.

You can't use ruined ammo. Try it. You'll see. Also you can see the damage gradation very easily with scopes. Pristine or Worn ones are pretty good and you'll clearly see through it but from damaged to ruined, you'll see more cracks till it blocks the sight completely. It doesn't affect food yet, or canteens/water bottles.(no leaks yet) It doesn't affect clothes other than the esthetic of them. Badly damaged clothes have thorns and are discolored while pristine ones are, well, pristine.

I've used all guns, and shot a lot of zombies with them. Tested them for ranges and what not. Shot about 25 zombies with the M4 and Mosin, and about 15 with the pistols. The zeroing works. You can change the firing rate. And for me , the M4 is very accurate. The mosin is less trouble since you don't have different parts with conditions.

• Like 1

500M + shot.

2014_01_20_00093.jpg

Crouched. Pristine MAG PUL and ACOG. You can see the dirt rise where the bullet hit. Slight recoil to the right. Semi-auto fire. (you need to test your gun first, there's no way of telling right now, default key is "T" I think, I rebind my keys... )

2014_01_20_00094.jpg

This was just a shot to test the drop. Didn't take a screen of the actual zombie dying, which was the second shot. At that distance, there was no animation, it just disappeared. The bullet drop is wrong imo, bullets travel way too far. I left it at 200, and the bullet traveled 500m + easily...

Edit: Also, when you aim with scopes or sights, while you aim you can hold the right mouse button to hold your breath. More accurate that way. With the long range scope it zooms, but with the others or the iron sights, it seems to not be doing anything, but tap right mouse once to go into sights or scope mode and try shooting while holding your right mouse button and you'll see...

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 3

Seeing other posts in this thread, i guess i got lucky on mine M4(althought i want mosin for my style of slow and careful approach, but havent found one yet) but i never had to use more than a single bullet at any range(on zeds obviously) and the longest shot i measured here: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#5.062.128

was 300 meters. The gun itself should be capable of even longer shots, but its hard to aim at further targets thru ACOG

edit: I use fully pristine upgraded M4 with a bipod

Edited by Jurionov37

Glad i found this thread as I now have to fire my guns to check for accuracy.  As for those complaining a lot of you arent real gun users, so here goes:

- The M4's arent usually accurate since this was the apocalypse and you just picked them up. They might have been dropped or damaged from its previous life hence losing its accuracy. So I do hope the mods implement that a rifle found on the ground will have issues with accuracy over one that is on a rack in an armory

- In real life, changing scopes or sights, means you have to zero in your rifles aim. Either you boresight and callibrate your sights or fire of some rounds and fix your sights or work by adjusting your aim. (hope the makers of the game sticks to this or implements it)

- Your accuracy is dictated by the shooters condition, heavy breathing and fatigue comes to play.

- The M4 is not designed to be a broom stick, it is a precise assault rifle and works better in semi auto rather than a full auto one. This is why the M4, have the 3 round burst instead of the full auto. It is the M16 where the full auto is kept.

I just got my rifle last night so i will check out how realistic it would be, hope it is as I dont want a COD wannabe, but a realistic survival game.

Edited by The Beast of Chernarus
  • Like 2

So we know, that if you have a Prestine M4 (which we have no way of knowing atm, because the actual weapon condition isn't shown in the tooltip) and prestine Magpul buttstock + MP handguard + prestine ACOG+ prestine bipod, the M4 is VERY accurate. 

Does anyone have ANY info about the "broken" weapon tooltips? Has one of the Devs said anything about it? I haven't found a ticket about this in the feedback tracker either. It's all about the weapons inaccuracy, which isn't the problem. It's the tooltip that needs fixing. 

Edited by phoboss

- The M4 is not designed to be a broom stick, it is a precise assault rifle and works better in semi auto rather than a full auto one. This is why the M4, have the 3 round burst instead of the full auto. It is the M16 where the full auto is kept.

I agree with everything you said, you have my beans ;)

Just a little correction, both M4s and M16s are made in both 3round burst variants(basic M4, M16A2/A4) and full auto variants(M4A1, M16A3....)

• Like 3

I just tried switching between multiple core M4 weapons using the following:

Standard buttstock

RIS

weapon flashlight

556 Silencer

ACOG

coupled STANAG

bipod

--everything PRISTINE

All of them had slight variations starting at about 100m...but not enough to truly miss my target.  Even at 200m it was fairly consistent.  At 300m I saw enough that I needed to stick to aiming at the body.  I was able to achieve regular headshots at 450~500m after lying prone for a while and holding right mouse button to steady breathing, while my display for my character showed as "healthy".  It seems that health level does play a slight factor in ability to take longer shots...but not drastically so.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty decent Alpha so far...It has brought me back to core DayZ.  It does seem that, given there are already "conditions" for the accessories, the bulk of the weapon should have a "condition" as well that would be the primary factor in weapon accuracy.

I just tried switching between multiple core M4 weapons using the following:

Standard buttstock

RIS

weapon flashlight

556 Silencer

ACOG

coupled STANAG

bipod

--everything PRISTINE

All of them had slight variations starting at about 100m...but not enough to truly miss my target.  Even at 200m it was fairly consistent.  At 300m I saw enough that I needed to stick to aiming at the body.  I was able to achieve regular headshots at 450~500m after lying prone for a while and holding right mouse button to steady breathing, while my display for my character showed as "healthy".  It seems that health level does play a slight factor in ability to take longer shots...but not drastically so.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty decent Alpha so far...It has brought me back to core DayZ.  It does seem that, given there are already "conditions" for the accessories, the bulk of the weapon should have a "condition" as well that would be the primary factor in weapon accuracy.

Try shooting up the hill and down the hill.

Report what you notice.