Sign in to follow this  
Munchermanjz

Logout animation and timer

If theres one thing that makes DayZ less enjoyable its the lack of player on player interaction. Yes I can grab a friend and hop into the world with a buddy watching my back, but what about the dozens of other players  on the server? I tend to avoid them simply because half the time all they want to do is shoot you, ruin most or all of your gear, and salvage the remaining items. I admit though, I do this too. The difference however, is that I wouldn't do this all of the time if I knew there wasn't a chance of the player ducking behind a staircase to log out or even just disappearing in front of me as I yell for them to drop their weapon and put their hands up. Do more people think this way? I tend to think  so.

If this is the case, then I think some of the killing on sight situations might die down if there were to be a 15-20 second delay before a person actually disappeared from the server upon logout. During this time, the character would display some sort of unique animation (like a different version of sitting or something) that could only be displayed by the character in logout phase. This would allow players trying to hold someone up for their gear the chance to identify a person logging out and at least kill them and still get something out of the encounter. It may seem like killing would still be common, and yes it probably will be, but I feel that this would give at least some players an alternative to trying to hold someone up just to have them disappear and get nothing out of it. I know that if this were implemented, I would at least try to hold people up a bit more often.

This change would also prevent 'combat loggers' from being able to bounce out when shot, in order to bandage and then move to a more advantageous position and log back in to try to kill their assailant. Maybe not a very common problem, but even so, would also be fixed by this change.

I would also like to throw my support towards more civilian type gear that still rivals military, as in backpacks, shirt capacities, possible civilian vests etc. to keep players less concentrated on military areas and spread out more around the map.

• Like 1

Good ideal.  The timer has been suggested many times but the animation is clever.  It will let you know when someone is logging out so you can shoot them they try.  Thus preventing people from combat logging when you are holding them.  

Beans for you good sir.

Exactly, if people were less likely to just log out at the first signs of danger if it meant a higher survival chance, then it would more likely promote player interaction over simple murder.

As fun as that would be, realistically you'd still want something low-profile since this wouldn't only happen when you try to log out to avoid confrontation. You want something more subtle and still, while maintaining that uniquness players could identify.

I made a lengthy thread about the logout process as well as combat logging and another thread about KoS and the problems with it. See my sig for more info. 

Bumping this thread instead of making a new one.

I really think they need to add this.  Just held some bandit up.  Was rather excited, its hard to sneak up on someone who is hunting players.  He logged.

I think we need maybe a ten second anamation of your character going to sleep.  IF he has a backpack maybe he uses it as a pillow as a joke.  IF he is handcuffed he shouldn't be allowed to log with his gear intact...  

Wheather people know it or not this is a major reason for kosing.  Holding people up is just too risky since with a press of a button they can leave.  (and they might ghost on another server and come back to kill you).  

Its really childish that peopleg get this attached to their gear.