Jorshiek

Character Wipe Discussion

So, i'm sure you all have experienced having your character randomly reset/wiped. So far, there does not seem to be a fix for it, and I personally doubt there ever will be. Unlike fixes for this bug/error, i'm sure that there are or will be ways to help prevent it.

Cause

First off, we must find out what causes it. From my personal experiences it happens mainly when a server restarts and i'm nearby zombies. It has also happened when i'm desyncing near zombies, and end up losing connection. You've noticed the one word that shows up in both sentences, right? Zombies. Zombies are hosted by the server in the standalone as most who've been following it know. When a client begins to desync, they remain in the last spot that the server has them last recorded in, up until the point BattleEye kicks them. If zombies happen to be in that same area, they will proceed to attack the player even if that player is incapable of doing anything. Even if they do not manage to straight up kill the player, but only manage to knock him/her unconcious, the player will be killed when he/she is disconnected, due to them being unconcious. This event is recorded by the Hive, counting as a death, while the player may have seen it as themselves standing in the middle of a road and disconnecting safe and sound. Up until they respawn at the coast...

Prevention

There are multiple ways to go about preventing this from occurring anymore. One way would be requiring that servers warn every player of a restart a good 5-10 minutes before it does so, to prevent people from unknowingly desyncing for a good 10-15 seconds before they even know the server restarted. Another way could be to grant invulnerability from damage from zombies to any player who's desync is above a set level. Now, that would obviously be a bit problematic but it would fix the believed issue. Finally, i'm sure there are more than two ways to prevent this that're above my understanding, but to simply put it this is something that must be dealt with before the game progresses into the next stage of development. (please note that I know that isn't for a while.) 

If you have any past experiences of the same things leading up to a character wipe, please say so in a reply. If you feel this Topic is stupid and/or pointless I ask that you just go ahead and leave this page instead of ranting on about how you feel so. 

Edited by Jorshiek

Another useless post. At this stage its pretty clear the dev team knows about the random player wipes... It could even be done on purpose for all we know (to test out thing, who knows?) - We all are lab rats on this Alpha early release, best thing to help? Log specific bugs in bug tracker - unless its a duplicate of course.

Another useless post. At this stage its pretty clear the dev team knows about the random player wipes... It could even be done on purpose for all we know (to test out thing, who knows?) - We all are lab rats on this Alpha early release, best thing to help? Log specific bugs in bug tracker - unless its a duplicate of course.

So you think the devs are going to go about randomly wiping singular players, without any kind of heads up or information? For all I know they might not know of a possible way to prevent the issue, therefore i decided to post my thoughts and personal findings about it.

Edited by Jorshiek

So you think the devs are going to go about randomly wiping singular players, without any kind of heads up or information? For all I know they might not know of a possible way to prevent the issue, therefore i decided to post my thoughts on it. 

See above post.... 

See above post.... 

That's my friend, and i'm now willing to admit that this post was not necessary. My apologies, was just trying to help. Anyone reading this, no need to state anything more. Move on with browsing.

• Like 2

I support server reset warnings and hope they are implemented shortly.

That said, one reason no warning is a good thing: people would be able to server-hop even more efficiently if they knew when servers were about to reset, and server hopping is a big enough nuisance as is.

My character just reset!!! I was on the NWAF fully kitted out!!! Then whilst changing servers after the NO MESSAGE FOR BLAH SECONDS - respawned as an Asian female with NOTHING! - Not frothing at all!

**edit - 10 mins later I logged back in and my character was restored thank god!!!

Edited by Attackm0de

My character just reset!!! I was on the NWAF fully kitted out!!! Then whilst changing servers after the NO MESSAGE FOR BLAH SECONDS - respawned as an Asian female with NOTHING! - Not frothing at all!

Welcome to DayZ Alpher!  ;)