Sign in to follow this  
africanhungergames

Why buy the standalone ??

So this is a serious question so i would like SOME serious answers.

Now that arma 3 is out and in beta why would anyone buy the standalon, what will make this different from a zombie mod on arma 3?

Because looking and hearing about the arma 3 mod is making me think that will be even better.?? What do you think and what makes the standalone better ??

It's your decision.

Read the warning's and if you have problem with them then buy it.

It will be better then the Arma 3 mod because this is a seperate game. It has more Possibilities than a mod, and the final product will be a lot better.

• Like 1

Because the Standalone is better optimized it's the the best in the genre, and it'll have more stuffz

The ArmA 3 mod will have the exact same problems that the ArmA 2 mod did. That was the whole point in DayZ becoming a standalone game, to overcome the engine limitations.

• Like 5

The ArmA 3 mod will have the exact same problems that the ArmA 2 mod did. That was the whole point in DayZ becoming a standalone game, to overcome the engine limitations.

This.

Haven't played the Arma 3 mod, but I'm guessing it's got hackers aplenty just like Arma 2 mod.

Better more indepth iventory system, I don't think such things as item degrsdation will ever make it to any of the mods. A map that is built for a survival game, Arma 3 has a nice map but it doesn't have the detailed house interiors of chernarus+, which to me makes a huge difference gameplay wise. Crafting system, can it be done in arma 3? The much more complex health system of standalone vs the simple health bar (called blood bar). More complex sickness and treatment for it. Perhaps latter better zombies in the standalone. Also ultimately the sta dalone will be more secure than the mods for the arma games.

• Like 1

It's your decision.

Read the warning's and if you have problem with them then buy it.

It will be better then the Arma 3 mod because this is a seperate game. It has more Possibilities than a mod, and the final product will be a lot better.

Thanks and this is just a question so the first part of your reply did not make much sense, seemed as if you were assuming a bit too much.

I would like to know why the final product will be much  better if you could enlighten me.

Many thanks.

The A3 engine is designed for large scale military gameplay, organised squads, etc. It has features to promote this like squads, comm channels, a giant map, military gear and more. A mod for it has to work within the systems provided. Survival elements are clumsy and hatcheted in.

DayZ SA is a similar engine, but being redesigned for a much more consistent and detailed simulation of survival. They can tailor the UI and gameplay to provide this in a more focused and efficient way. Unnecessary and immersion-breaking elements of the mil-sim have been stripped out. The online experience is being tailored and refined. The inventory in it's current state already supports more detailed information and a smooth crafting system. The lead dev, Rocket, has survival experience and a particular vision of the kind of game (or "anti-game") he wants this to be.

The Chernarus terrain from Arma 2 and the DayZ mod is being redesigned and worked on constantly to provide the right atmosphere for an apocalypse.

There are more reasons, but the main one is that it is only going to get better from here on out. If it is the kind of game you want, then buy it now for cheap if you can handle the bugs and lacking features, but it and keep it in your steam until you hear something has been added that you like, or don't buy it and make a decision at a later date. Over the next two years you'll probably be hearing more about this game as it goes through different development stages so you'll have a chance to make an informed decision.

I like Arma 3, but honestly it is much better suited for what it is designed to do. If you can find an Invade and Annex server with a good community of mods/transport pilots you will see what I mean.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.

You dont need to run through them all because i know theres probably alot but i dont want a military game i want a zombie survival game so i love the concept and am happy with my purchase but could you just run through the main problems of the mod so i can decide whether arma 3 will be worth getting, because as i say i dont really want another military game.

Many thanks.

The A3 engine is designed for large scale military gameplay, organised squads, etc. It has features to promote this like squads, comm channels, a giant map, military gear and more. A mod for it has to work within the systems provided. Survival elements are clumsy and hatcheted in.

DayZ SA is a similar engine, but being redesigned for a much more consistent and detailed simulation of survival. They can tailor the UI and gameplay to provide this in a more focused and efficient way. Unnecessary and immersion-breaking elements of the mil-sim have been stripped out. The online experience is being tailored and refined. The inventory in it's current state already supports more detailed information and a smooth crafting system. The lead dev, Rocket, has survival experience and a particular vision of the kind of game (or "anti-game") he wants this to be.

The Chernarus terrain from Arma 2 and the DayZ mod is being redesigned and worked on constantly to provide the right atmosphere for an apocalypse.

There are more reasons, but the main one is that it is only going to get better from here on out. If it is the kind of game you want, then buy it now for cheap if you can handle the bugs and lacking features, but it and keep it in your steam until you hear something has been added that you like, or don't buy it and make a decision at a later date. Over the next two years you'll probably be hearing more about this game as it goes through different development stages so you'll have a chance to make an informed decision.

I like Arma 3, but honestly it is much better suited for what it is designed to do. If you can find an Invade and Annex server with a good community of mods/transport pilots you will see what I mean.

Thanks this is a really good reply, have my beans.

Edited by africanhungergames

Wait until DayZ is out with buying it.

You should really watch this video:

TB is a hypocrit tbh, He critisises early access games and says we should'nt buy them and then he went and bought the most expensive early access game on steam in Planetary Annihilation when it was £69.99.

Star Citizen fans spend 100s - 1000s on that game and it isnt even in alpha yet, Twitch streamers can make a living from donations from viewers. In short People on the internet have money to burn.

• Like 1

Thanks and this is just a question so the first part of your reply did not make much sense, seemed as if you were assuming a bit too much.

I would like to know why the final product will be much  better if you could enlighten me.

Many thanks.

That's the thing, you cannot know for sure whether or not the final product will be any better, therefore you should wait with buying the game until it's done (in Beta).

• Like 1

Dont buy it now just because it's cheap. The price will remain at it's current for a year to come.

One reason only, to help test it and report bugs.
That is the only reason what so ever to buy the game atm.

If you dont want to test it, wait 6 months or so and come back :)

• Like 3

Wait until DayZ is out with buying it.

You should really watch this video:

Love this guy.

Thanks for the link

• Like 1

TB is a hypocrit tbh, He critisises early access games and says we should'nt buy them and then he went and bought the most expensive early access game on steam in Planetary Annihilation when it was £69.99.

Star Citizen fans spend 100s - 1000s on that game and it isnt even in alpha yet, Twitch streamers can make a living from donations from viewers. In short People on the internet have money to burn.

He is a critic. He has to buy them in order to know what he is talking about. He actually adresses what you are talking about in the video, and he hasn't bought for example Rust. No reason to burn money for us :p

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

You dont need to run through them all because i know theres probably alot but i dont want a military game i want a zombie survival game so i love the concept and am happy with my purchase but could you just run through the main problems of the mod so i can decide whether arma 3 will be worth getting, because as i say i dont really want another military game.

Many thanks.

In short it is still a pvp military game and not a survival game.... yet. But it will be when it gets in beta (hopefully) - I trust the DayZ dev more than other survival devs.

This.

Haven't played the Arma 3 mod, but I'm guessing it's got hackers aplenty just like Arma 2 mod.

If you're talking about Breaking Point, you're pretty wrong. I'm not saying there are no hackers, but it's a whitelisted community with active admins and custom anti-hacks. If they're there, they're fairly restricted and non-obvious.

If your not a DayZ fan don't buy the alpha.

If you wanna help and be part of the process in making DayZ then buy it.

It's 10 times better then arma3 and 2.

Wow lets not start this flame war please.

Dont compare a month old "pre-alpha" to games which have been out for years and have x1000 the amount of time spend of developing it :)

Give DayZ a year of development and then start to compare it, because atm its nothing but a "empty shell", compared to the end product hehe.

Nope mate, Arma 3, like DayZ, is not running on CD-keys like Arma 2 was, its bound to your steam account, so theres no stealing keys, therefor no easy way to get back into the game if you get banned from hacking. Basicly you need to buy it again :)

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 2

If your not a DayZ fan don't buy the alpha.

If you wanna help and be part of the process in making DayZ then buy it.

Total Buiscuit is a well known and popular critic who turns of his comment section as a protest against the new youtube comment section layout - it has nothing to do with the video. He provides a reddit forum on which to comment freely.

He isn't saying the game is bad!! He is just saying not to buy the game before it's done. And he can get whatever footage he wants from whoever your favourite youtuber is. Did you even watch the video?

• Like 1

Wow lets not start this flame war please.

Dont compare a month old "pre-alpha" to games which have been out for years and have x1000 the amount of time spend of developing it :)

Give DayZ a year of development and then start to compare it, because atm its nothing but a "empty shell", compared to the end product hehe.

Nope mate, Arma 3, like DayZ, is not running on CD-keys like Arma 2 was, its bound to your steam account, so theres no stealing keys, therefor no easy way to get back into the game if you get banned from hacking. Basicly you need to buy it again :)

I'm sure the guy meant compared to the DayZ mods of Arma 2/(3); not the actual Arma game.

• Like 1

Same reasoning I used for any computer game for this many years, about a quarter century already, and God willing many more...

Never touched the Arma mod, so I can't really compare, but regarding the SA;

- Game setting. While some have a great history line, other games give no story at all but your own.

- Game mechanics. Very important. From the inventory system to the environment effects on your character. 

- Multiple players. Enough of solo play. This is the XXIst century. Also everyone is "born" equal... more or less... some are more neurotic than others when it comes to guns and killing :D

- Longevity. Sandbox games last the most. Dedicated community makes sure of it.

- Finally graphics. Arma graphical engine is one of the diamonds on the industry. It can accomodate great detail even in old boxes.

Plus for the price it is at this very moment it is a solid investment. Like a half price pre-discount.

I reckon most scripting in Arma / Final Liberation is aimed for the environment they recreate. Doesn't mean it cannot be shaped into something different, but it is always better to shape the code ground up to suit specific needs rather than work on the top layer and hope changes work.

• Like 1