Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf the White (DayZ)

Friend Tracker, Friendly Marker

I would love to see a Tracker or some kind of marker for a "friendly" player.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can be just a little marker or something above someones head that shows either their name, or just says friendly or something.

It gets very confusing when you're in a skirmish and don't know if you're shooting at a guy which is a friend or a foe, in the heat of battle things get messed up quickly. I've both got shot at and shot friendly people by accident, and it's very disappointing.

It would just be a simple invite thorugh the player menu or something, and the other player can either accept or decline, simple as that.

Would love to hear inputs on why or why not this shouldn't happen :D :thumbsup:

• Like 2

It gets very confusing when you're in a skirmish and don't know if you're shooting at a guy which is a friend or a foe, in the heat of battle things get messed up quickly. I've both got shot at and shot friendly people by accident, and it's very disappointing.

exactly. as stated in the multiple threads tackling this or a similar issue, we do not wear any friend-or-foe-identification transponders. you have, like in reality, account for your squad and like in reality, friendly fire will occur in heated encounters.

working as intended. please dont dumb this game down with magical holographic indicators.

Edited by e47
  • Like 8

Your

*You're

I used my grammar spell. Get it?

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 1

exactly. as stated in the multiple threads tackling this or a similar issue, we do not wear any friend-or-for-identification transponders. you have, like in reality, account for your squad and like in reality, friendly fire will occur in heated encounters.

working as intended. please dont dumb this game down with magical holographic indicators.

I don't think it dumbs down things at all. If you choose to not use the feature you can still play the way you want, but I know there's plenty of people that would love to at least have some kind of way of being able to see who is friendly and who isn't.

Also you don't know whether or not the developers intend to have a friend indicator or not in the future.

If you're using teamspeak or some other out of game chat you should be able to communicate properly enough to know who your people are. Shouldn't need a marker Gandalf.

• Like 1

I'm against anything like this, because to me DayZ is a game where realism comes into play, would it be great to be able to find your friends/squad faster and more effecient, yea, but it would dumb it down, I like having to find each other, communicate over Teamspeak or whatever, it makes it fun for me and others obviously, I want to be challenged and I don't want to be spoon fed or have my hand held by some fancy in-game tracker or other simular things.

Heck I don't even like to use most of the maps you can find on the net, because most tell you what spawns where, and takes the surprise out of finding that shiny new gun or stumbling upon your first military base or airfield.

If you're using teamspeak or some other out of game chat you should be able to communicate properly enough to know who your people are. Shouldn't need a marker Gandalf.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/162324-player-identification-and-classification-system/

What about something along these lines?

Tying a red/blue/yellow rag to your arm or both arms should suffice.

Thanks for the quote.

Keep in mind that my idea relies heavily on proximity. You need to be able to see your friends' faces at a distance from which a normal human would be able to recognize a face. Maybe 60m. 80m if we're being generous.

If the developers wanted to get fancy, they could make it a sliding scale, so recognition would be guaranteed within 50m, but at 51-80m you would have a smaller chance to recognize your friends (especially if you're under stress). At 81m+ it gets tough.

I really want to emphasize that the goal of my idea is to recreate normal human facial recognition. The HUD elements I consider undesirable, but necessary to compensate for the graphical engine's lack of ability to accurately recreate the vast complexity of human facial features at reasonable distances.

Here's another thread you might want to take a look at: Squad Identification.

I talk about using a clothing, armbands, patches, face paint and other means to identify members of your squad. Beans and comments are appreciated in either thread. 

Tying a red/blue/yellow rag to your arm or both arms should suffice.

For identifying friends, absolutely. But I think it's really important for the future of the game that we also be able to identify enemies - and in that case nobody's going to voluntarily wear a "bad guy" arm band to alert you to their intentions.

One thing Dean has always talked about is his hope that players will be able to enforce their own laws and rules one day. I think for this to be a reality, people are going to need to be able to recognize people that they have seen do evil things. If I watch through a pair of binoculars and I see you gun someone down in cold blood, I should be able to commit your face to memory so the next time I run into you I remember you and can act accordingly.

This is the sort of thing that DayZ desperately needs in my opinion. Ways for players themselves to use their own powers of perception to identify players, judge their actions, and act accordingly. It doesn't require any outside intervention in order to "punish" people for their sins, it just relies on players building up information over time and using that information as they see fit.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quote.

Keep in mind that my idea relies heavily on proximity. You need to be able to see your friends' faces at a distance from which a normal human would be able to recognize a face. Maybe 60m. 80m if we're being generous.

If the developers wanted to get fancy, they could make it a sliding scale, so recognition would be guaranteed within 50m, but at 51-80m you would have a smaller chance to recognize your friends (especially if you're under stress). At 81m+ it gets tough.

I really want to emphasize that the goal of my idea is to recreate normal human facial recognition. The HUD elements I consider undesirable, but necessary to compensate for the graphical engine's lack of ability to accurately recreate the vast complexity of human facial features at reasonable distances.

Here's another thread you might want to take a look at: Squad Identification.

I talk about using a clothing, armbands, patches, face paint and other means to identify members of your squad. Beans and comments are appreciated in either thread. 

No problem, I just stumbled accross that thread and read through it. I found it to be a unique way of actually adding a feature of recognition/friendliness, without "dumbing it down" or runing the game play. It just fits.

Raising awareness to make this happen.