Sign in to follow this  
globalfriction

Suggestion: Sleeping When Logged Out

This single suggestion would be fantastic but unfortunately several things must happen before it could become feasible.

1. Base building needs to be added .

2. Barricading needs to be added.

3. No hive spawn system one character per server.

With these two things being added then it would not only make sense it would improve the gameplay ten fold.

While you may not see the benefits to gameplay immediately a sleep system in the game would have the same positive effects that it did in Rust.

1. People will not kill on sight nearly as much as they do in dayz due to having a static location where they must rest.

2. Alliances will form due to the increased versatility and safety in numbers, groups will watch each others backs when they are sleeping and not in game.

3. Combat logging immediately disappears.

4. No ghosting or server hopping is possible.

5. No silly popping into existence.

If the game truly wishes to be a good survival game it needs sleeping when you log off and your character needs to stay sleeping in game when you are not logged in.

But when i sleep in RL, if someone was to hit me, i would wake up. If i heard someone near, i would probably wake up. Dont think its piratical or needed

Yea but ask yourself what is more realistic ?

Not sleeping in game and having your character magically materialize out of thin air allowing for far greater exploits or your character sleeping in game trying to hide from not only the environment but other players ?

Edited by gibonez

If they implement persistent sleeping characters (they won't) every time you log in you will be greeted by YOU ARE DEAD, guaranteed. I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't ever want to see Epoch style shelter building in DayZ.

If they implement persistent sleeping characters (they won't) every time you log in you will be greeted by YOU ARE DEAD, guaranteed. I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't ever want to see Epoch style shelter building in DayZ.

No you won't

Even in a game like rust where player sleeping locations are a whole lot more obvious than they would be in Dayz you you don't always wake up dead and when you do its because of an organized raid.

No you won't

Even in a game like rust where player sleeping locations are a whole lot more obvious than they would be in Dayz you you don't always wake up dead and when you do its because of an organized raid.

So it's more 'realistic' to have Rip van Winkles everywhere? Sometimes I don't play for a couple of weeks, I'm sure many are the same. After a certain point, 'realism' needs to be cast aside for gameplay despite all the ludicrous talk of an 'anti-game' whatever the heck that means.

So it's more 'realistic' to have Rip van Winkles everywhere? Sometimes I don't play for a couple of weeks, I'm sure many are the same. After a certain point, 'realism' needs to be cast aside for gameplay despite all the ludicrous talk of an 'anti-game' whatever the heck that means.

With the map that is the size of Dayz and one character per server even after a couple of weeks the chances of you being alive in your house or a barricaded building are good.

Rust had a map substancially smaller and I had no problems logging in after a month to my character still there. Often times they left me alone and just took some of my stuff.

Part of the problem is people are not immediately seeing the potential for such a system in eliminating so many fo the games fundamental problems.

They only see it as a problem for them. They ignore how it would stop half a dozen game breaking problems with introducing far better gameplay.

I am unsure if this could be possible for devs. I mean, after you log out will he still be on the server or will he become ghost character with some AI? I don't know....

But overall, it's a good idea for survival simulation

As much as I did like the feature in Rust, it'll just way too many easy kills and fill the forums full of tears for this feature to even work.  

You have been voted off the island.

As much as I did like the feature in Rust, it'll just way too many easy kills and fill the forums full of tears for this feature to even work.  

You have been voted off the island.

Those tears would delicious too.

I did a suggestion thread a while back with just having us degrade when logged out (all be it limited so you couldn't die from it). It didn't go down well at all, most I think misunderstood thinking if they were away for a few days they would be dead.  

Sleeping and degrading while logged out, I like it. I just fear it would never happen because too many people would complain.  

Some things I wonder though...

What would happen to the player slot when someone was logged out. Could some popular servers start backing up with sleeping players that cant log in because its full atm.

Is the map really big enough for it. If they get up near the 100 player mark your chances of staying alive while logged out for 18-20 hours to sleep and work are slim at best.  

I would support this being tried in alpha or beta to see how it plays out :)

Having your character in game whilst you're not playing is the most stupid thing I've ever heard of. It's so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

Who's ever fallen asleep in a hostile environment so deeply they are completely removed from the entire planet and it's effects?

Having your character in game whilst you're not playing is the most stupid thing I've ever heard of. It's so stupid I don't even know where to begin.

Who's ever fallen asleep in a hostile environment so deeply they are completely removed from the entire planet and it's effects?

You havent red my 1st post. I said when they add camps, barricading and bases

I don't think I'd really mind it as long as the devs are finding a smart and fair way for implementation. I could think of a few extremely safe (from players) places, the thing is: Go to sleep on a low pop server, you're almost guaranteed to be safe from other players unless you make your bed on the runway of an airfield.

And, if lockable doors are available, you should be safe from the environment in a house.

Hell, for all I know you could sleep in a high deer stand - Zed's and Animals don't climb, you don't get wet (but cold / warm), and as I mentioned, on a low pop server you should be totally fine.

If they were to do it though, they must implement it so that the "broad masses" and casual players as well as us "hardcore players" get somewhat satisfied, and that is something that's just not gonna happen, sad but true.

Sleep, as an added benefit, could help you heal up just a tad bit faster, but of course not fast enough to fully heal after being mortally wounded. It shouldn't be restoring blood (duh), but after a certain "sleep time" (3 hrs. or more), some refreshing benefit should be added.

Hunger and thirst should be raised slightly so you should have some breakfast after you wake like in RL (unless you're stuffed before you go to sleep).

There's a lot of things that could change / add to the game play. Interesting in theory for sure, executing this is a different story entirely.

Edited by Demonica

If your name was Goldmember I'd ride my office chair up to you and say how about no.  Then the teleporters and hacker would have mass targets.  Now, if it took up a space for one player on the server that could work.  But what if the server you log out on is private and the owner quits paying for it, what is the recourse when you come back and can't log in to get your guy?

In Rust you have a unique character for every server, it's not like that here.

In Rust you have a unique character for every server, it's not like that here.

Thats why Dayz needs one unique character per server too.

Not only for allowing an idea such as this one to be possible but to fix the countless other problems added due to the stupid hive system spawning.

Nope. This game is realistic enough, we don't need to add sleeping ontop of everything else. I would only agree if sleeping WASN'T NEEDED, but GAVE BENEFITS to people who slept. I would prefer not to get looted in my sleep, as gearing up can be time consuming.

Nope. This game is realistic enough, we don't need to add sleeping ontop of everything else. I would only agree if sleeping WASN'T NEEDED, but GAVE BENEFITS to people who slept. I would prefer not to get looted in my sleep, as gearing up can be time consuming.

I think it would be a great addition but not as the OP said you shouldn't just be there the whole time for anyone to kill, what if you don't play it for months did your guy just hibernate...?

Logging off should just be sleeping, complete with animation to eliminate combat logging, unless you have 30 seconds to a minute when people are after you there is no cowardly escape.

Don't play the game for 8 hours, next time you play whatever fatigue your guy had is gone and he perhaps feels fresh.

It should definitely be needed at some point, if you didn't sleep for days in this world you would go completely insane or just collapse.

I think there should be a logging off sleep option and a general sleep/rest option so you can still play the game but have a 5 minute rest and restore some stamina when that's a thing.

I think it would be a great addition but not as the OP said you shouldn't just be there the whole time for anyone to kill, what if you don't play it for months did your guy just hibernate...?

Logging off should just be sleeping, complete with animation to eliminate combat logging, unless you have 30 seconds to a minute when people are after you there is no cowardly escape.

Don't play the game for 8 hours, next time you play whatever fatigue your guy had is gone and he perhaps feels fresh.

It should definitely be needed at some point, if you didn't sleep for days in this world you would go completely insane or just collapse.

I think there should be a logging off sleep option and a general sleep/rest option so you can still play the game but have a 5 minute rest and restore some stamina when that's a thing.

As I said, what's the point? It's only adding another burden and it's NOT NEEDED AT ALL. If it was included, best it should be is sleeping gives you benefits but is not required.

It's a GAME, in games you do not need the same necessities as a normal human.

Oh, our characters need sleep? Might as well make it so you can't infinitely sprint to get around the map quicker, or you pass out for carrying full gear for too long, or so that you can't respawn, ever.

As I said, what's the point? It's only adding another burden and it's NOT NEEDED AT ALL. If it was included, best it should be is sleeping gives you benefits but is not required.

Oh, our characters need sleep? Might as well make it so you can't infinitely sprint to get around the map quicker, or you pass out for carrying full gear for too long, or so that you can't respawn, ever.

Because sleep is needed, why shouldn't it be? Why not just eliminate the need to eat and drink too, it's survival of course sleep should be important. Sleep should be required but only after like 10+ hours depending on how much you've been running around and how healthy you are if anyone is playing the game longer than that they need to log off and go outside or get some sleep themselves anyway, it's a system that would work with peoples life styles and stop them from binging themselves in to an early grave.

They are going to do that stamina is an upcoming feature as is the weight of gear which will obviously make you get tired faster. When that's a thing resting will be vital, sleeping being the best way to rest.

It's not about it being needed or not its about something making the game better because it exists. The game does not need guns, does not need zombies, does not need hunger right ? but they all improve the game.

The sleep mechanics suggested work and they work really well in rust. They would work great in dayz too and would help make the game even more brutal as it should be. Game is far too easy.

Because sleep is needed, why shouldn't it be? Why not just eliminate the need to eat and drink too, it's survival of course sleep should be important. Sleep should be required but only after like 10+ hours depending on how much you've been running around and how healthy you are if anyone is playing the game longer than that they need to log off and go outside or get some sleep themselves anyway, it's a system that would work with peoples life styles and stop them from binging themselves in to an early grave.

They are going to do that stamina is an upcoming feature as is the weight of gear which will obviously make you get tired faster. When that's a thing resting will be vital, sleeping being the best way to rest.

But sleeping is a stupid concept. It shouldn't be NEEDED because IT'S JUST A GAME, it should only give benefits to those who decide to sleep, and no benefits to those who chose to log out normally. Yeah, it's survival, but still, does the game have to get that overly complex? 

Resting will not be needed, even with stamina. Just make it so you have to be well fed and well hydrated in order to get stamina back.

Sleeping is not needed. And you don't need that extra few minutes in game, sitting there, totally unable to defend your character. Combatloggers will be combatloggers and serverhoppers will be serverhoppers. People find the easiest way to gear up/stay geared, then they do that. It's human nature to find the shortcut.

If you let someone live long enough in an encounter to combat log then maybe you shouldn't be killing people..

It's not about it being needed or not its about something making the game better because it exists. The game does not need guns, does not need zombies, does not need hunger right ? but they all improve the game.

The sleep mechanics suggested work and they work really well in rust. They would work great in dayz too and would help make the game even more brutal as it should be. Game is far too easy.

Not really. Here's the current situation on Rust:

So you spend a few hours fully gearing out your character, but now you have to leave for your vacation and cannot access a computer. When you come back, your character is dead, and you have to start out fresh.

We don't need that exact same thing happening in DayZ. It would force you to come back on every few days to check up on your guy and make sure that he's not starving in his sleep (the duration you are logged out).

You want to go on a spree and pull an all nighter playing DayZ? Oh, too bad, your character needs sleep, better spend those few hours you wanted to keep playing doing something else!

Also, the game is brutal enough. Not everyone's a veteran that finds the game way too easy. There are still noobs and casuals, too, who may not know what to do or may not play the game enough to get some real progression going.

EDIT: Yes, I know what I'm saying contradicts the video that you posted, but realise this: I'm not trying to make the game easier, I'm just saying that sleeping is a useless mechanic that's totally not REQUIRED. It could give BENEFITS to those who chose to do it, but it should not be something that if you don't have, you'll die.

Edited by lelmat132
  • Like 1

Not really. Here's the current situation on Rust:

So you spend a few hours fully gearing out your character, but now you have to leave for your vacation and cannot access a computer. When you come back, your character is dead, and you have to start out fresh.

We don't need that exact same thing happening in DayZ. It would force you to come back on every few days to check up on your guy and make sure that he's not starving in his sleep (the duration you are logged out).

You want to go on a spree and pull an all nighter playing DayZ? Oh, too bad, your character needs sleep, better spend those few hours you wanted to keep playing doing something else!

Also, the game is brutal enough. Not everyone's a veteran that finds the game way too easy. There are still noobs and casuals, too, who may not know what to do or may not play the game enough to get some real progression going.

EDIT: Yes, I know what I'm saying contradicts the video that you posted, but realise this: I'm not trying to make the game easier, I'm just saying that sleeping is a useless mechanic that's totally not REQUIRED. It could give BENEFITS to those who chose to do it, but it should not be something that if you don't have, you'll die.

The situation in rust before the reboot was people banded together due to necessity and worked together to build what could be described as small towns in order to watch out for each other when not playing. 

The possibility to lose everything you worked on when you are not in game is a scary but awesome part of rust. It brings forth great gameplay elements such as rivalries between groups, the desirability to go into super remote regions if you are going to solo.

Even when you lose everything is it really so bad ? Isn't that part of what Dayz should be ?

ou want to go on a spree and pull an all nighter playing DayZ? Oh, too bad, your character needs sleep, better spend those few hours you wanted to keep playing doing something else!

That is not at all what happens in rust either. Your character never needs sleep , he just goes to sleep when you are not logged off.

Let's not kid ourselves the game is extremely easy atm and nowhere near as hard it should and needs to be.

No stamina yet

No realistic run speed

No weight system

Abundant weapons and ammo

Abundant food and drink

Obviously a rust style sleep system would be one such feature that would help make the game better and harder.

Obviously a rust style sleep system would be one such feature that would help make the game better and harder.

Well, I don't see a rust style sleep system being of any use before base building/barricading comes along.

But sleeping is a stupid concept. It shouldn't be NEEDED because IT'S JUST A GAME, it should only give benefits to those who decide to sleep, and no benefits to those who chose to log out normally. Yeah, it's survival, but still, does the game have to get that overly complex? 

Resting will not be needed, even with stamina. Just make it so you have to be well fed and well hydrated in order to get stamina back.

Sleeping is not needed. And you don't need that extra few minutes in game, sitting there, totally unable to defend your character. Combatloggers will be combatloggers and serverhoppers will be serverhoppers. People find the easiest way to gear up/stay geared, then they do that. It's human nature to find the shortcut.

If you let someone live long enough in an encounter to combat log then maybe you shouldn't be killing people..

How is it stupid? This is a game that's attempting to as best as it can imitate what it'd be like to survive in a zombie apocalypse(except that everyone wouldn't be killing each other) why should it give benefits but lack of it no negatives? That doesn't make sense.

No matter how much you eat or drink running 30 miles will still fuck you up unless you're Captain America or something, sustenance isn't a magic cure.

What you describe there is what I meant by resting, resting should be when you're still in game just for a few minutes to keep you fresh if you plan on having a prolonged session. Sleeping is the magically disappearing power we currently have with logging off.

Combat logging shouldn't just be left as it is it should be made almost impossible unless you're lucky enough to get the time to finish the animation.

Well, I don't see a rust style sleep system being of any use before base building/barricading comes along.

Neither do I.

Both would need to be not only in but really fleshed out before character sleeping is ever viable.