Sign in to follow this  
MercianUK

Crossbow... Opinions?

On my 2nd day of DayZ play now so I still have relatively little experience with the full arsenal available, but I've got to admit, I'm absolutely loving the crossbow! I've been strangely lucky finding bolts for it and there's nothing quite as satisfying as retrieving them after dropping any Zs that get in the way.

I've been impressed with the revolver as well, much prefer it as a secondary to the Makarov, carrying one of those around with ~30 rounds at the moment for emergencies. I've managed to get together some basic survival tools as well: map; compass; water bottle; watch; Czech backpack; hatchet.

Next top priority for me is ideally a knife so I can get hunting some meat and live off the land and lay low for a while.

Playing alone and don't feel overly enthusiastic about taking on Cherno/Elektro (definitely not NWAF) and risking what I've got so far, especially after taking a 7.62 to the chest when I spawned there on an earlier life. Some NVGs and possibly a suppressed pistol would go down a treat though, assuming I could source ammo for it.

How do you guys rate the crossbow? Since it's silent I've mostly been spotting my kills from a distance and then moving in to make the shot close-range, retrieving the bolt, snatching my loot and moving on. I can imagine it's not going to be practical in bandit territory, but if it comes to it I'm hoping situational awareness and my revolver will keep me alive if push comes to shove.

Trash

Takes way too long to reload, only one shot kills zombies in the head, limited ammo / each bolt takes up a slot, the iron sights are horrible and the arrows bug out and disapear some times.

It's good if you haven't come across another primary, and I do love how silent it is, but the bolts really hog your inventory space.

The Crossbow is a perfect tool for a Survivior! I use it to and loot all Farms that i Find for the Bolts. Its perfect when you get the aggro of a Z ore 3 of them. Only the Steel Bolt retriev and the one slot per Bolt is a problem. I hope Rocket can fix this some Day.

Ps.: Evotech one Body shot kill a Z to...And is the best Primary Weapon for a Friendly.

I would use it more if the aiming on it was fixed and you could have more than one bolt per inventory space. If it came in bolt pouches of five bolts, that would help nicely.

If you want to hit your target, aim for the feet. For god knows what reason it's zeroed out way too far, and the bolt's initially trajectory is way above where you would expect. Takes alot of practice.

I would use it more if the aiming on it was fixed and you could have more than one bolt per inventory space. If it came in bolt pouches of five bolts' date=' that would help nicely.

[/quote']

Yeah, it definitely needs a proper iron-sight or equivalent, the current aim-down-sight view is absolutely terrible.

Multiple bolts per inventory space would definitely be nice, but I can't decide whether or not that would imbalance it too much; the reload delay is a massive factor in itself but a silent weapon with replenishable ammunition is undeniably powerful.

Maybe the fact that I picked up a Czech backpack early on on this playthrough has distorted my experience of encumbrance. I'm definitely carrying a *lot* more crap than I need to be!

I can confirm that it's 1 hit kill to the torso as well, although I've noticed my bolts occasionally clip through Zs' heads without causing any damage. One stuck into a wooden board right behind one's head but the bugger didn't respond. Lucky it's silent I guess :P

Needs more range and a scope 2-300m.

Plus better ammo management.

We need more varitey in viable weapons to enrich things a little.

It's good for a fairly common primary weapon, but i'd much rather use a lee enfield or a winchester... which are fairly common as well.

But you will never ever use the Lee in a Town or u dead.

It's good for a fairly common primary weapon' date=' but i'd much rather use a lee enfield or a winchester... which are fairly common as well.

[/quote']

I could understand preferring the winchester, but I don't see how the dinner bell is a preferred gun, unless you're hunting survivors. In which case I understand that.

As for the original topic, ever since it got updated to 1 hit kill I've used it and loved it. I just wish the sights weren't so off.

Crossbow gets 2/5.

Its silent,yes.It does not agro zeds if they dont get killed by the first shot.Long reload is justified.

But terrible sights,crasy number of inventory slots you have to waste for a decent ammount of ammo and bolts glitching off makes this weapon completely unreliable.

Crossbow needs some attention.Before *at least* 1 bolt = 1 slot gets changed I won't use it.

I'm thinking of grabbing one to help with loot runs in the NWAF. so many zombies that occasionally you cant help but shoot one and with only having a 1911 (finding very little ammo) and my m4 i end up pulling damn near half the field.

But you will never ever use the Lee in a Town or u dead.

I only shoot at zombies when i'm spotted and have no other choice anyway, so the noise it makes really isn't a huge issue.

I've used the crossbow a fair amount over my first 4 or 5 days playing DayZ now. It's nice that it's silent. The only bad thing I think other than the ammo taking a slot is the accuracy. I was roughly 10-12m away from a zombie. Aimed at its head...bolt went way high. Reloaded and aimed just above its waist. Just a little bit high. Aimed at its dick...headshot.

well, i love how silent it is, but the accuracy on more then 10 meters is just a sick joke, i can even aim better with a damn bow, and im anything but an expert on that

fact is: if it would have 8 arrows per inventory slot, would have a proper iron sight or zeroing, then it may be usefull

else the revolver is great, pretty silent and kills a zed in one shot

range makes it useless. they really really need to buff this thing; it would be an absolutely awesome addition to the game. it would actually be useful now that zombies are more deadly

Crossbow + 1911 is my favorite setup right now. I've been making head shots regularly but I've got a couple chest hits that have dropped zombies in a single shot so I'm assuming it's been buffed a bit. Had an MP5SD before the update ate it and I prefer the crossbow. Like everyone else though I would like to see stack-able bolts and maybe easier retrieval. I just know I'm gonna get shot in the head one of these days trying to retrieve a stubborn bolt.

I dislike it. It's not very accurate, you can't carry much ammo for it since every bolt takes up one inventory space, and it takes forever to reload. The hatchet is a much better weapon, in my opinion (though it may need to be nerfed because it's extremely easy to clear out hallways of zeds with it).

Edit:

Also, either it's just me, or the Lee Enfield has been buffed in the sound department. I can now use it in more populated areas without attracting the entire flipping city to my location.

I give the crossbow a 3/5 a great starter weapon when your looking for the good stuff keeps you silent and stealthy. Imo the worst weapon in the game is the double barrel (that thing can eat a D**k) Edit: well i guess i forgot about the holy crap 6 swings crowbar...so dbl brl is 2nd worst :D

protip: Use hide body for easier bolt retrieval usually ends up laying on the ground.

What the crossbow really needs is an iron sight of some sort, most common is the 3 point sight, or we could have it mounted with an optics, why not both?

Optic-3-dot-sightproduct.jpg

article-2092519-117CF8B4000005DC-23_468x286.jpg

I think the iron sights add difficulty to the weapon, and should stay as is.

It's a common find early on, so the sight difficulty means it would take practice and skill to use effectively.

I think the iron sights add difficulty to the weapon' date=' and should stay as is.

It's a common find early on, so the sight difficulty means it would take practice and skill to use effectively.

[/quote']

Being completely off and not even centered?

There's such thing as requiring skill and being broken. Sure it's possible to hit things with it, I do it all the time, however the irons are just flat out broken. Aim at a zombies knees for a headshot!