Sign in to follow this  
King of kong

Make It A Serious Survival Sim. + Hate Speech Against slow Zombies + Loot Spawn Positions

At the moment. DayZ is a walk in the park. Just jog past the angry pregnant women (Infected) and head up the road to the Northern villages. Then you're set. A can of tuna in every house. A well or pond every 2 miles, and a military camped stocked with western guns. Ah, this is the life, eh?

DayZ should be a serious survival simulator. Ya know in 28 Days Later? The zombies were fast, smart, and vicious. No one was safe alone. No one wanted to leave "safety" a single Infected was a massive threat. One bite could turn you.

Rarer Loot: As of now, every village beyond the coast has, like, 1 can of food per house. I find this incredibly stupid. It's so easy to survive. Just loot a few houses then you're set to go KoSing the fuck out of every person you see. There's an average of 4 full gun magazines per Military Area. Why aren't we finding mags with only a few rounds? (Seriously piss of people with OCD). Why aren't we finding half eaten cans of moldy food?

Food needs to be rarer. Allot of noobs think it's too rare but that's what you get for staying on the coast and playing on high-population servers.

Ammo/Guns, especially western guns: Rarer, rarer, rarer. Let's assume the Chernarussian Army fell apart and the NATO force pulled out leaving only a few guns behind.

Medical Supplies: No more saline bags in every cafe. That is all.

Military Loot In The Proper Place: Why am I finding TTsKO and US Army shirts in the same building? Where the NATO and Chernarussian troops bunked together? Doubt it.

NATO FOB's separate from Chernarus Defense Force bases, please.

Police Stations Need Proper Loot: Why are we finding moldy fruit and lamps in police station? What about Police batons, radios, cuffs, and tazers and riot gear.

FASTER MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES, BITCH: GET RID OF THE GODDAMN SLOWDOWN PERIOD, MAKE THEM RUN AS FAST AS PLAYERS, ADD A FEW SLOW STARVING ONES TO APPEASE THE GRANDPA THE ZOMBIE FANS, GODDAMNIT DEAN, I THOUGHT YOU HAD CLASS.

Zombies should be able to tackle you

THIS SHOULD BE LIKE 28 DAYS LATER, ARGH

Frost, more rain: For apocalyptic feeling.

Why all the hate for fast zombies? If they aren't zombies then i refuse to believe that George A. Romero's zombies are actual zombies. If anything the Romero ones are more retarded as they lack any form of intelligence and are basically old people with the mind of baby. Romero zombies are a manifestation of the Voodoo Zombie itself. Romero zombies are basically what got the zombie phenomenon noticed in Western Culture, I don't see why 28 Days Later "Infected" aren't a manifestation of the zombie too.They eat people, and they're crazy, and sick as hell. Only difference is that they're alive and jog like an angry pregnant woman. 

DayZ has the alive and relatively quick zombies, that's the way it will be for quite awhile. Unless Dean decides to bend the knee to retarded zombies. I'm fine with the fast ones getting tired after running but that should only be after their prey gets a good distance away. They need to run as fast as players. That would create a real fear factor. You know that these crazed people are as fast as you, and ten times more dangerous. I'm not saying turn them into Usaine Bolt. But at least make them pose a threat. Id love to see some fast shamblers in the mix too. But these would be the starving ones in the northern areas that only a few people die in.  

In reality, slow retarded zombies wouldn't be enough to overrun the Chernarussian Army. Fast ones similar to the Rage Virus zombies would, however, stand a very good chance of toppling a nation considering how smart and dangerous they are.

Slow mind-of-a-baby zombies are somewhat some threat in close urban environments, but in a big rural area like SE Chernarus they're no threat at all because there's nothing that allows them to catch up with the humans unless they trip while in a city.

Edit: Forgive the lack of originality or anything, I'm really tired

I KNOW IT'S A GODDAMN ALPHA, BITCH. WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT ME? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I'M THE BEST SNIPER IN THE ENTIRE US MILITARY AND HAVE OVER 300 CONFIRMED KILLS, AND HAVE BEEN PART OF NUMEROUS RAIDS ON AL QAEDA. I HAVE A SUITCASE CONTANING THE LAUNCH CODE FOR EVERY NUKE ON AMERICAN SOIL. SO LIGHTEN UP, BITCH!

Edited by King of kong
  • Like 12

well, we'll get the obligatory "alpha" comment out of the way, so things like the survival mechanics (weather, water contaminants, etc) are accounted for. 

but what i wanted to say - 

we need either more and faster zombies, or wayyyyyyyyyy more zombies at current speeds, for them to be effective. 

the faster and more zombies sounds like a way better alternative as they'll be less for the server to handle and still a threat. We also need zombies spawning in houses/buildings.   

• Like 1

84e7TtK.jpg

everybody is entitled to a rant now and then. +1 for one that was well written (and made me grin at times).

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

That awkward moment when you're thought the game was still too hard, and still starve to death a lot.... +1 for the rant, if I was good, I would agree with it.

I would love scary, FAST zombies.  I would love it if Zombies were as dangerous as players.    So much so that a firefight between two groups may see a temporary ceasefire to deal with a horde that caught ear of the shoot out. That level of a threat.

More speed = less intelligence required to make them dangerous.  Just make sure the sound/visibility system is robust too so that bugged aggro's are kept to a minimum.

• Like 1

It's what I've been saying in my post as well, and I referred to 28 days/weeks later as well. BEST "zombie" movie ever, hands down. Use it as a reference for the game zombie-wise, if you want suspense and adrenaline.

And again, I must insist - MAKE ZOMBIES JUMP YOU, AND BITE INSTEAD OF PUNCH. It would make encounters with zombies more unforgiving and hardcore. You don't get a second chance if bitten. You don't get to take a few punches and such. Sure, let them scratch you so you have to bandage, but also bite. And make it look different compared to standing one next to the other exchanging hits. Zombie fist-fight is an ultimate turn-off. It immediately breaks the whole aspect of "shit, there's an infected after me, my palms are sweating and I'm about to shit my pants" and turns it into "aha, there's another ugly redneck about to get a black eye".

It's definitely the single most important thing for me because it really takes away the most important part of the game, the part that made it into the headline: ZOMBIES. It's supposed to be a horror/survival game, not a decomposing-renegade brawler. A zombie/infected should take you down to the floor, get on top of you and try to rip your intestines with it's teeth, not f**** you up with a well placed uppercut.

Long story short: yes, I'm all for making zombies fast and furious, just like in 28 days later. I'm also eager to have the melee system changed from scratch, because if in the end product I have zombies punching me in the face I'm gonna consider my money and time wasted.

Edited by MouseWithAnAttitude
  • Like 1

Eh, I was just thinking about what I wrote in my previous post and I concluded I forgot something... Encounters with zombies should be more unforgiving and difficult, I mean REAL hardcore. It shouldn't turn into another action game where you run into zombies and just hack'n'slash until you clear the area.

Imagine how much more suspense it would carry if it was actually preferrable to avoid zombies and sneak around them, instead of approach-stab-kill routine. When seen by one, either run for your life or stay, and risk a truly tough fight (unless you have a gun with a silencer -so you don't attract even more zombies- and you have some room/time to shoot).

Fighting zombies should be a HAPPENING, not a routine, else it'll get old real fast.

Notice how I'm using the word "should" often. :) Well, it's what I'd like and believe would be good for the game at least, to correct myself.

• Like 1

Completely agree about the zombies.

Currently an effective way of clearing a village is to run through the centre, out the other side and see what you're dragging behind you. This should be utter, utter suicide.

Yes, they are scary at first, but once you've been playing for more than a day or so, they become comical even if you're unarmed and alone. They should be dangerous if you're armed, deadly if you're unarmed and a firefight should have a good chance of turning into a desperate running battle with the sheer numbers the noise attracts.

• Like 1

Wow, this post is totally original! Lemme just throw this in the bin full of all the totally original threads as of late: Lets see here KoS threads, 3PP circlejerks, Combat logging threads, and Server Hopping threads.

When there will be more than 30 different weapons, we will have an hard time to find enough ammo for the right gun. Samething for foods when they will diversify the residential loots and add a ton of cars/heli/plane parts in the industrials zones. Foods and the right type of ammo will then be rarer, just wait for it.

Wow, this post is totally original! Lemme just throw this in the bin full of all the totally original threads as of late: Lets see here KoS threads, 3PP circlejerks, Combat logging threads, and Server Hopping threads.

Something like a million copies have been sold.  Of course there are going to be repeat after repeat after repeat of discussions.  You better get used to it and over it, and stop being such a negative influence

• Like 1

I'd love it if noobs to the game were like the Irish guy, Jim in 28 Days Lter. Scared, afraid, wondering what the hell is going on. The zombies should be so fast and vicious that you shouldn't want to stop and fight them without help. You should want to run the fuck away. The rarity of supplies should make no time for deathmatching because you've only got a tiny amount of food. Zombies should continue rushing you even when you've shot them 5 times. Not headshot-only, but more like 28 Days Later

• Like 2

Alpha dude. also, see signature. 

I'm well aware that it's Alpha, dude. This discussion has nothing to do with the fact that it's Alpha. Nor was I suggesting they be implemented (not really ideas but more of a large scale concept) right off the bat either

• Like 1

I'm well aware that it's Alpha, dude. This discussion has nothing to do with the fact that it's Alpha. Nor was I suggesting they be implemented (not really ideas but more of a large scale concept) right off the bat either

FASTER MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES, BITCH: GET RID OF THE GODDAMN SLOWDOWN PERIOD, MAKE THEM RUN AS FAST AS PLAYERS, ADD A FEW SLOW STARVING ONES TO APPEASE THE GRANDPA THE ZOMBIE FANS, GODDAMNIT DEAN, I THOUGHT YOU HAD CLASS.

If you want your ideas to be perceived as reasonable requests for future feature implementation, you might want to avoid all capital profanity-laden rants accusing the lead designer of being classless.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

If you want your ideas to be perceived as reasonable requests for future feature implementation, you might want to avoid all capital profanity-laden rants accusing the lead designer of being classless.

Just a suggestion.

Good point XD

Also mentioned before, but since we like repeating: How about players get to chose if they want to spawn as zs? Only, they auto-attack uninfected when close by, (no zs as scouts for groups.)

It's not about zombies being broken, it's about zombie-fighting mechanics being taken in a completely other direction.

I'd much prefer to get the goose-bumps when I spot one from afar even with it's back turned to me, because I know all hell will break loose if I'm seen by it, rather than go towards him cold-headed, with no emotion, knowing I'll easily kill it within a few seconds.

Not to mention, once again, that it's a real anti-climax having it stand next to me swinging at my head. I stop perceiving them as zombies right that moment.

I'm not unsatisfied with the game, I know it's (too often mentioned for no reason) alpha, but I'm just a tad worried they'll keep this concept until the official release.

• Like 1

Agree with the sentiments OP (but not the crack use - seriously dude it's bad for your teeth). A lot of this shit will be sorted as time goes by.

Edited by Roshi

A lot of this shit will be sorted as time goes by.

Would love to see an official reply with their views on the matter, IF the development team is already set about this one way or another. Or at least their opinion.

EDIT: why is this topic not more popular than it currently is? Come on folks, the very core of the game, right here. Bring your banners, cattle prods and riot-gear.

Edited by MouseWithAnAttitude

At least spawn with random item rather than the frickin torch light. Maybe a screw driver, a baseball bat, axe, knife, bayonet or bullets? A small pouch with 6 or 8 slots. All I see in this game, people wants to find gun and then KoS. At least, when zombies hear the gun shot, they will rush to your location like crazy., knowing there is a food there. And your killer have a hard time to run and loot your corpse at the sametime.

There won't be infection. Survivors are immune. The Devs have made that clear.

That being said, I am all for zombies knocking you unconscious in 1-2 hits, then slowly finishing you off as you bleed to death.

The zombies in the mo were way more dangerous and fast than the stupid power-walkers that we have now. NUmbers won't make them any more of a threat. In the mod there could be tons and it was really dangerous 'cause they could actually catch up with you. Standalone zombies can't. I wish they brought back the zombies that were in the Standalone in August