Sign in to follow this  
hookhead

Mosin

So im kinda new I guess I've died a bunch but in all the time I've spent looting balota and the military base just north of there Ive found least a dozen m4s but not a single mosin I've even found half a dozen pistols but still no mosin and on my current character ive got a pristine long range scope but no mosin. . . any tips where to find them?

And I found a northwest chernarus map and an east chernarus map but it doesnt show my position like I thought it would, and yes Im on the far eastern edge bottom right corner so I should appear on the east map I thought. . .

I found my first mosin, after more than 25 hours of gameplay, last night while checking the Balota Airstrip. I only saw one in all the buildings, but I found 80 rounds for it as well. 

Mosin spawns in residential areas. Office, hospital, cars, etcetera

cars?? and like in small towns in the houses or under beds in houses? and is there a hospital in the military base just north of kamenka I was wandering in a building I had never been in before and didnt know if it was a hospital or not it was 4 stories and had halls with a few rooms on each floor but didnt look like a hospital 

Didn't realize it was so rare.  I threw one away yesterday along with 100 rounds of ammo for it.  I'm new to the game and figured an M4 was better which I had just found so I ditched the Mosin...did I make a mistake?

I like the m4, but I feel like I know my bullet is going right where I point it when using the mosin...at least within reason according to distance and such.

I have never, ever, ever found a legit Mosin spawn yet.

Only those with legs, and most of them log out when I try to pick them up.

I prefer the M4A1 though...

For what it's worth, I have a Mosin Nagant in real life, and it's pretty accurate.  It got more accurate when I attached its bayonet.  The bayo must change the barrel's frequency or something, or the extra weight, or I dunno, but I was iron-sighting my targets easily at 100m with no modifications (other than the bayo), and all my shots were on paper.  (still talking real life here)

I don't know the game's mechanics, because I'm still fairly new and haven't found one yet.  

Does the game require you to clean off all the cosmoline grease before you can shoot it? :)

Edited by jhorus

I think the bayonet, like a suppressor, adds weight to the front of the gun which can help stabilize things while firing. Not sure about frequency or whatever though.

I think the bayonet, like a suppressor, adds weight to the front of the gun which can help stabilize things while firing. Not sure about frequency or whatever though.

bayonet sticks out when youre hiding- dead giveaway. ive spotted people hiding because of it.

that and that nasty bayonet on the m4. eek.

• Like 1

The Mosin can be found in the Industrial Center of Cherno (the office building with the three Russian SOldiers holding a PPSH in the air) other places are Residential but have a very low chance (see My guide and look for High Loot buildings picture) however these buildings can contain anything really.

• Like 1

The Mosin can be found in the Industrial Center of Cherno (the office building with the three Russian SOldiers holding a PPSH in the air) other places are Residential but have a very low chance (see My guide and look for High Loot buildings picture) however these buildings can contain anything really.

your quide was super helpful but i read in there about the maps and im wondering I have a map of east chernarus but my location isnt showing up on it and i know where on the map i am cause of the dayzdb but i would like it if i didnt have to keep switching to chrome to check the map

your quide was super helpful but i read in there about the maps and im wondering I have a map of east chernarus but my location isnt showing up on it and i know where on the map i am cause of the dayzdb but i would like it if i didnt have to keep switching to chrome to check the map

The map USED to show your location, Im not sure what happened to this feature or weather theres a way to turn it on or off. It used to be a yellow circle and would follow the players exact location. BEst way to check were you are is to go outside a down read the Cryllic and open a DayZDB map in your steam in game webbrowser.

If it's not already in the game (can someone confirm/deny?), I'd like to see them put in the Mosin M44 Carbine. :)  It has an already-attached, foldable bayonet (as opposed to the M38, which had no bayo, and was made to prevent existing bayonets from attaching).  It's less accurate than the 91/30 Mosin, but because it's shorter.  Given that most combat seems to take place within fairly short distances, (i.e., not many 400m shootouts), I'd take the M44 over the 91/30.   Most modern combat is going away from the bayo, but honestly in a zombie situation like in DayZ with limited ammo, I'd use my gun/bayo as a short spear/polearm and save on ammo, and most especially when you're out of ammo.

I tend to like modern bayonets that are dual-purpose (knife and spearpoint), but if I had to pick a bayo vs nothing, I'd rather have a stick with a bayo on it.

Didn't realize it was so rare.  I threw one away yesterday along with 100 rounds of ammo for it.  I'm new to the game and figured an M4 was better which I had just found so I ditched the Mosin...did I make a mistake?

Really depends how you want to play and if you've got a decent sight for the Mosin. Usually Mosin players like to snipe from a distance where as M4 players like their combat a bit more personal. I can see when tents come in a lot more folk will turn to sitting around and sniping.

Others use handguns for looting and their Mosin for ranged.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I was playing on a full server, picking up leftovers. Never found a pack, but found a mosin and 19 rounds 10 feet away. I would not say it is rare you just have to know where to look.

Really depends how you want to play and if you've got a decent sight for the Mosin. Usually Mosin players like to snipe from a distance where as M4 players like their combat a bit more personal. I can see when tents come in a lot more folk will turn to sitting around and sniping.

Others use handguns for looting and their Mosin for ranged.

never played dayz mod how do the tents work do they really conceal you really well seems like they would be obvious 

The map USED to show your location, Im not sure what happened to this feature or weather theres a way to turn it on or off. It used to be a yellow circle and would follow the players exact location. BEst way to check were you are is to go outside a down read the Cryllic and open a DayZDB map in your steam in game webbrowser.

yeah i think it got turned off I couldnt find my circle and I was using the db map to pin exactly where I was but the topography on the ingame maps were more useful really 

never played dayz mod how do the tents work do they really conceal you really well seems like they would be obvious 

You basically found the in supermarkets and a few other places. They act basically as a big static backpack. You had to visit them pretty regularly or they'd vanish. People could loot from them so you had to put it somewhere out of the way - not smack bang in the middle of a factory like one I found.