noblue

incentive not to kill everyone you find

FrankieonPcin1080p plays good guy...

but as a whole currently I don't find it worth it as usually I'll be minding my own and some tool will blast me in the face with his friends while I'm opening a can of beans

All there has to be is some sort of grouping/alliance mechanism which rewards teamplay over solo

You mean a system where standing near trusted allies and working together makes it much easier to survive? Because that's already in the game. It works fine.

Currently its basically deathmatch.

Currently it's a completely unfinished game with basically zero real features. Talking about what the game "currently" is is like complaining about how a car handles before they've put the tires on.

their is no incentive for player interaction

Do you know what's harder to kill than one person? Two people. Do you know what's even harder than that? Three. That's true whether you're talking about versus zombies or players or environmental hazards. There's plenty of incentive for player interaction. 

Sure, there's not an incentive for me to get buddy-buddy with every random picledick I bump into in Chernogorsk, but that's okay. There doesn't need to be. People shouldn't be forced to be friendly to strangers by adding a bunch of goofy mechanics to the game.

This idea that "interaction incentives" should extend indefinitely to every person you encounter in the game is not going to go anywhere. Even the things that are being proposed to support team play like vehicle construction and base building are not going to improve stranger-on-stranger relations. Why would I get together with some random stranger and spend hours repairing vehicles or building a base if I'm never going to see him/her again? It's senseless.

Stranger vs. stranger encounters are probably always going to remain 80% gunfights, 20% "hey, how's it going, need some beans? No? See you later" encounters and there's really nothing the developers are ever going ot be able to do about that.

I like hunting kos'ers solo... more bullets, more rewards... Damn, they're so good till i kill them... And the denial comments priceless.. Can't combat log a moslin headshot you sorry bitches..

Btw, I am far from the best player out there...

I'm not trying to accuse you, but I've seen many other say that as well.

If you hunt KOS'ers what is preventing you from being one as well, are you not killing on site, too? And how are you sure these are bandits you're murdering? 

Well .. people will kill. There is no initiative at this moment to loot in a group/survive. Your chances of survival solo is way higher. 

:beans: on 

ZedsDeadBaby

Not even remotely true, ever hear of "Strength in numbers"? Well what odds are there that a solo bandit has a chance to survive a group of bandits, you would be out-manned and out-gunned.

Guilt!

I'm new to the forum so allow me to give you some background. I've been lucky enough to have started online gaming last millennia (I love saying it like that!) in the late 90's with Quake 1. I was happy killing anyone then. I moved onto MoH:AA and luck shined on me as I was part of a clan that topped the clanbase ladders, once more I had no issue about killing people. A few years further on and I migrated to CoD (the good ones, 1 and 2) and killing was second nature and once again I was in clans that were well represented across Europe. I faded a bit (actually RSI was my biggest problem) so stopped playing competitively and just dropped in and out. My game tastes changed and there was no real need for killing. DayZ though, both the mod and SA, have reignited that desire. I am older, my reflexes slower and I have less time to dedicate to the game(s) but there is another thing that has crept in. I have difficulty in killing people. Now I'm sure if it was something like CoD (which today seems a bit pants imo) I'm sure I wouldn't care, but DayZ is such a different game, it allows people to demonstrate their personality so much more, there is a genuine desire for people to advance rather than just running around a simple small map respawning that I find it difficult to kill people. Don't get me wrong, people still kill me, and damn do they kill the f*ck out of me, but time and again when it comes to pulling that trigger when I've not been attacked first I just have a problem with it. So, as I say, guilt. 

I was in Cherno the other day on a fairly full server. I had been shot at by numerous players who just vanished once they realised they weren't good enough to kill me and I got so bloody annoyed I decided to track down one of them as they went into the hospital. I was across the road, nicely nestled in one of the houses and I took out my pistol. I fire a few rounds to coral them into a better location (like herding sheep) and then a sorrowful voice came over the voip, "Hey, man, don't kill me". Damn... there goes my guilt. He was clearly unarmed, it was clear I had followed the wrong person but it was also the chance to reap my vengeance of my many KoS deaths. Here is was, this was the time, I was the master this time, off to the Lord you go.... and.... nope... guilt. I slunk away, feeling like a sh*t for nearly doing what everyone else had done and no doubt this little bambi will die at the hands of someone else, but those hands were not to be mine...

TL;DR? Old age has made me a pussy.

If you needed two people with some items to clear a town, there would be an incentive for people not to murder each other as soon as they see each other.

Maybe they'd kill each other after getting the loot, but even that would make things more interesting than they currently are.

This is brilliant.  What if it took 2 people to lift a gate?  Or one to defend while the other picks the lock?  This would lead to less KoS but much, much more intense "Okay, I'm done with your services" moments...

The consequences of shooting someone should be the horde of angry zombies coming to eat you after the ruckus you've made. But we don't have any zombies...

• Like 1

There will be more incentives for cooperation between strangers once more zombies pop up. Shooting your gun as loner might be your death sentence. Right now other players could investigate. In the future, many more "people" will come investigate, and they'll be angry. In turn, people either have to be very stealthy or cooperate if they want to get certain stuff done. This will result in easier task management in groups, compared to loners.

But psst, even though a lot is yet missing, there are already many incentives present. Common sense. You can, in theory, achieve more in a group right now. As for the "Why let someone live when you could take their loot" greed argument: Unless you're totally starving or greedy, I see little reason in there because of the manpower, the stuff you ruin upon killing someone and the carrying capacity. You can only carry so much and can't haul corpses with the remaining loot around.

In short, in a group your survival chance is theoretically higher. Same if you don't shoot at everything, and you never know who you might shoot at. The buddies could be nearby, killing you for that.