tickle_me_jesus

A viable way to limit server hopping exploit

I think something along the lines of the following might be a viable option;

- player health status, loot, humanity level etc = global persistent

- player location = local persistent

So the location your character finds himself in is only persistent when you log back in to the same server you were in the last time you logged off.

If you log in to a different server from the one you logged out previously, your character will spawn at a random location on the map (not debug forrest though ;) )

Of course I have no clue what so ever if such a distinction between character's specifics can be made.

This simply randomizing a character's location seems less of a problem and yet would prevent exploitative server hopping (wrong type of meta-gaming).

Just my two cents. Although it has it's drawbacks (e.g. server might be full /unreachable /offline) the advantage of such mechanic outweighs any drawbacks, no?

So, basically...

I can have my character at EU1 stand at the northern barracks of NWA

I can have my character at EU2 stand at the southern barracks of NWA

I can have my character at EU3 stand at the military camp site in Stary Sobor

I can have my character at EU4 stand at the north eastern airport military buildings

I can have my character at EU5 stand in Berezino hospital / military tents

and finally I can have my character in EU6 stand in Cherno / Elektro.

Now imagine this: I run around in my Cherno char on EU6. I die. I lose everything. I hop on to any or all of these servers above and grind the military spawns in all of these locations until I have new set of military gear.

Then I hop back in cherno and kill everyone with my super gear. I die again, I just repeat, and I dont have to travel anywhere at all to do it.

10,000 other players notice this as well and everyone does it.

Success?

His suggestion was that the player would spawn randomly except on the LAST server he was on, not that the hive keep track of your position on every server you have joined

I posted this same suggestion couple days ago. At least you got some replies :D

So' date=' basically...

I can have my character at EU1 stand at the northern barracks of NWA

I can have my character at EU2 stand at the southern barracks of NWA

I can have my character at EU3 stand at the military camp site in Stary Sobor

I can have my character at EU4 stand at the north eastern airport military buildings

I can have my character at EU5 stand in Berezino hospital / military tents

and finally I can have my character in EU6 stand in Cherno / Elektro.

Now imagine this: I run around in my Cherno char on EU6. I die. I lose everything. I hop on to any or all of these servers above and grind the military spawns in all of these locations until I have new set of military gear.

Then I hop back in cherno and kill everyone with my super gear. I die again, I just repeat, and I dont have to travel anywhere at all to do it.

10,000 other players notice this as well and everyone does it.

Success?

[/quote']

Sure you could do that, but you're still gonna have to do a lot of running around to get it setup and run the risk of being killed in any of the locations to hop into.

I don't think this is as big of an exploit as server hopping currently is. You would basically be teleported to NWAF or wherever with no gear.

Or here's an idea, when you die, ALL your spawns are reset to the beach.

His suggestion was that the player would spawn randomly except on the LAST server he was on' date=' not that the hive keep track of your position on every server you have joined

[/quote']

Exactly. Only your LAST position is saved on the last server you joined. Join another server you will spawn at random location.

So basically your GIUD / character has no information about your location on the global server, but only on the last server you connected to. It is not that each and every server remembers your location.

But as I said, I really don't know if such solution is possible within DAYZ / ARMA2

This idea doesn't really work because people would loot farm the entire map like the above poster said.

However I have suggested this:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19383

In my mind this' date=' or a similar idea to this would be a viable fix.

[/quote']

Why would that happen? As allready said, that person didn't understand the idea; it is not possible to have multiple locations on multiple servers.

His suggestion was that the player would spawn randomly except on the LAST server he was on' date=' not that the hive keep track of your position on every server you have joined

[/quote']

Exactly. Only your LAST position is saved on the last server you joined. Join another server you will spawn at random location.

So basically your GIUD / character has no information about your location on the global server, but only on the last server you connected to. It is not that each and every server remembers your location.

But as I said, I really don't know if such solution is possible within DAYZ / ARMA2

Hate having to quote myself :)

Server hopping is part of the game and encourages population on low-pop servers. So long as you are in high-risk areas there is always risk, no matter the server you are on. So hopping for loot isn't a problem if you ask me.

Hopping for PVP reasons is another matter though...

so what? Screw the guy that is forced to hop servers because an admin kicks him or his home server is full, or the server he actually manages to get into kicks for ping...there is no distinction here between those who hop to exploit and those who have no other choice.

wtf are you smoking dude stupid as hell

Care to elaborate your opinion?

But thanks for the bump > glorious!

Server hopping is part of the game and encourages population on low-pop servers. So long as you are in high-risk areas there is always risk' date=' no matter the server you are on. So hopping for loot isn't a problem if you ask me.

Hopping for PVP reasons is another matter though...

[/quote']

There might be drawbacks and maybe some players will lose their location due to 'forced' changing of server. But if this could eliminate the wrong kind of meta-gaming (e.g. server hopping for loot or PVP reasons), the drawbacks will be for the greater good ;)