Sign in to follow this  
Flight96

Faster Zombies vs. Slower ones

I'm getting really tired of hearing the arguement that faster zombies are better simply because it makes them more of a threat.

I'm pretty sure a majority of dayZ vets and even new players alike feel that this isn't the case. They can be easily handled in a variety of situations.

Sure, that has the possibility to change when they start to add more and more zombies into the game but what about the idea of slower ones. Surely when they add hordes of these things (Which i'm hoping they do) it can potentially make for some much more interesting scenarios with the added tension of feeling spotted by a huge horde of zombies that is slowly closing in on you, as apposed to a huge horde of zombies that are FAST that have spotted you.

If they're fast, it's not really about what's the most ideal or smart way to finish up what we're doing here as they close in, it's more like get the hell out NOW. Lol. Which in itself is immersive and fun and offers its own set of interesting scenarios.

With the current way the zombies detect players (Which i know is going to change and be tweeked over time..) faster ones make for more of an annoyance than an immersive game mechanic in my opinion of course.

I mean, I appreciate that when the zombies do detect you in SA they're not running in off the wall zig zags anymore and that's a huge improvement. Just throwing out an already tirelessly discussed topic to get some more opinions.

Thoughts?

Edited by Flight96

The problem with slow Zeds is that you'd need a huge amount of them to compensate. Otherwise you'd simply outrun them. But the more Zeds, the more server power is consumed. At this point of development they just can't do a large horde.

• Like 2

im getting tired of people getting tired of things that are tired over the internet, find something better to do asshole.

The problem with slow Zeds is that you'd need a huge amount of them to compensate. Otherwise you'd simply outrun them. But the more Zeds, the more server power is consumed. At this point of development they just can't do a large horde.

I'm not even really suggesting this for the immediate future or for it to take priority over anything development wise.

However your right, without big numbers, slow zombies are no threat whatsoever. There is however plenty of talk about good sized numbers of zombies being added to the game.

im getting tired of people getting tired of things that are tired over the internet, find something better to do asshole.

It's ok buddy, i'll allow you to unload all the anger of your personal life into my little video game forum post here lol. Just know that your words do not affect me whatsoever. :)
Edited by Flight96
  • Like 1

If the AI improves and the numbers improve, then we have room for both. A "curious" shambling state where they see you and stumble towards you, and an enraged state if they hear your gunshot or smell a wound.

That way you get your slow shambling horde that do close in on you, and you really, really don't want to get them excited.

If the AI improves and the numbers improve, then we have room for both. A "curious" shambling state where they see you and stumble towards you, and an enraged state if they hear your gunshot or smell a wound.

That way you get your slow shambling horde that do close in on you, and you really, really don't want to get them excited.

Excellent idea. Maybe zombie behavior is responsive to the amount of noise they hear, such as a gunshot like you said.

Would definitely further encourage the use of melee weapons in uncertain and unsafe areas.

Thanks for the input.

I was actually thinking about this last night.

What I would like to see, would be a system in place that has a zombies energy or speed directly related to a few situational things like :

a ) The Number of nearby zombies

b )The number of living things nearby

c ) The amount of dead bodies nearby

As any/all of these statistics for a zombie increases, so does that zombie's energy level (kinda like getting all riled up by the smell of blood/flesh) which in turn allows them to react faster and move faster.

So for example, you are being chased by a single zombie, he's stumbling along not really keeping up with you, but as you travel through a town, some other zombies see you and join the chase.  Now you have 4 behind you and this time they are sortof jogging, looking all excited.  You run and more zombies join in.  next thing you know a small horde is sprinting after you with blood in their eyes

Edited by TemplarGFX

I was actually thinking about this last night.

What I would like to see, would be a system in place that has a zombies energy or speed directly related to a few situational things like :

a ) The Number of nearby zombies

b )The number of living things nearby

c ) The amount of dead bodies nearby

As any/all of these statistics for a zombie increases, so does that zombie's energy level (kinda like getting all riled up by the smell of blood/flesh) which in turn allows them to react faster and move faster.

So for example, you are being chased by a single zombie, he's stumbling along not really keeping up with you, but as you travel through a town, some other zombies see you and join the chase.  Now you have 4 behind you and this time they are sortof jogging, looking all excited.  You run and more zombies join in.  next thing you know a small horde is sprinting after you with blood in their eyes

I definitely understand your idea. May be a tricky thing to implement. (I'm not game developer by a long shot) but it would definitely add alot more depth and chances for intense ass scenarios to both of our ideas.

This is not how we do things here.

Re adjust your attitude, please.

Rgds

LoK

First - fix walls. Then make zombies harder or you will increase server hop on ammo spawn cause fire weapon will be more needed. Creator needs to know are zombs are just deads who walk and eats livings or it is virus etc. Who plague brain of livings, cause if last zombs must remain humans but stupid and angry with wish of human meat + their hands should shake?(read about eating human meat)

I've aggro'd 5 zombies at once before, ran a little, turned around and shot them all.  Even lots of zombies are still easy to deal with it.  Faster zombies or at least some zombies who were faster or entered into an enraged state which granted a speed boost would be more challenging.

Rocket has stated he doesn't want different types of zombies, like L4D style type zombies and that he doesn't think zombies should be considered a primary threat in DayZ but I think they could definitely add more behaviors to zombies to make them more challenging.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

First - fix walls. Then make zombies harder or you will increase server hop on ammo spawn cause fire weapon will be more needed. Creator needs to know are zombs are just deads who walk and eats livings or it is virus etc. Who plague brain of livings, cause if last zombs must remain humans but stupid and angry with wish of human meat + their hands should shake?(read about eating human meat)

Again, i'm not arguing priorites here. I have no problems seeing some zombie detailing waaaaaay later down the road, even past beta stage. I just would love to see some variety implemented. And not to the extent of l4d special zombies with particular powers n shit.

More like, enraged zombies that move slightly faster and look slightly different but behave and aggro the same as the ones we have now and much slower ones that have the same characteristics but with a different pace. I may even go as far as to suggest a different animation for them.

I've aggro'd 5 zombies at once before, ran a little, turned around and shot them all.  Even lots of zombies are still easy to deal with it.  Faster zombies or at least some zombies who were faster or entered into an enraged state which granted a speed boost would be more challenging.

Rocket has stated he doesn't want different types of zombies, like L4D style type zombies and that he doesn't think zombies should be considered a primary threat in DayZ but I think they could definitely add more behaviors to zombies to make them more challenging.

Really? That's interesting, i didn't know rocket's stance on zombies was that they SHOULDN'T be a primary threat in this game.. That kind of sucks, but we'll just have to see what happens.

I agree with your opinion otherwise. Thanks for the input all.

Edited by Flight96

Thank you for sharing. *yawn*

I'm just glad that the zombies are consistent in their speed.

I was never really comfortable how they suddenly slowed down in the Mod whenever they stepped a foot inside.