Rōnin Rick

Night Time is Unplayable

Of course the night is dark lol. Have you ever been to a rural area without so much as a streetlamp for at least 5 miles in any direction? Try it, you wont be able to see your hand in front of your face, unless you hold it up to the sky and see the outline against the slightly brighter sky. You wont be able to see the floor, or whats on it, not even the path that you are trying to follow.

Most people live in built up areas, or within a less than a mile from some form of light pollution. I remember an old episode of the X files, where they are in some woods miles from the town. Mulder turns to Scully and says, "you know what....living in the city so long i had forgotten how.....dark....night is". Me and my missus laughed because we had the same feeling when we climbed a mountain for new years. Thats something that has become tradition....and we never leave without a headtorch each, and a backup in our bags lol :)

ARen't you afraid bandits will see your headtorches lit

Without decent lighting effects and means to provide artificial light, it's not worth the trouble.

Flashlight= junk

Headlamp= junk

Weapon light= never tried.

Gas Lantern= Doesn't work.

• Like 1

So I tend to play in "always daytime" servers, because I find night time to be unplayable in this game. The screen is pitch-black and you can see practically nothing. Raising the Gamma or the Brightness does little to help, and honestly shouldn't be necessary in a game with good visibility. Dayz Standalone is supposed to be realistic, and IRL it is not NEARLY so dark at night.

Night time should be interesting to play and add a new dynamic to the game, however currently it is just worthless. Add to that the fact that the flashlight doesn't seem to work (yes it has a full battery).

And has anyone else noticed that 90% of the servers are the same? Like they are always all in the same time of day? Presumably this is because those servers are in a time-zone where it is night, but really, I'm in California, and if I want to play during the day in-game and it's day-time in America, apparently I can't unless I choose a custom server. Seems kinda dumb.

Tell me what you think in the comments! Should graphics/visuals/visibility be improved for the night? And should servers display what time-zone they are so you aren't going in blind?

Thanks!

gamma exploit is for pussy guys only ;)

if you having problem see at night is because is dark sun has gone below horizon :huh:

I recommend flashlight/head torch for putting light on situation :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

some guys have problem with nervous personality and is possible playing night giving panic attacks :o

if you having tiny testicle with smooth ballsack area maybe stick to 24/7 daylight server :D

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

I believe the night time IS REALISTIC! if you grew up in the country like on a farm away from practically a medium sized town you would see it is indeed hard to see at night without a full moon and no clouds. night time for alot of people is still lit up because there in a city or town with streetlights. the light polloution really does make a diffirence of nighttime. heck you can see so many stars in the sky in dayz during the night, if you live in a city look up and tell me if you could even see half of the ammount of stars you see in the country and in the dayz sky!

Clearly some people have never been out in the countryside at night with no streetlights in the area. :lol:

Exactly.

People who comeplain about it being unrealistic for it to be that pitch black have never been anywhere where there is no light from anywhere.

It really is PITCH.BLACK.

But from a game-play point of view it is very annoying, boring and uninteresting. Looking forward how they make it more fun to play. (one thing that would really help is making flashlights not shine through some buildings)

• Like 2

Exactly.

People who comeplain about it being unrealistic for it to be that pitch black have never been anywhere where there is no light from anywhere.

It really is PITCH.BLACK.

Indeed. And those people also wouldn't appreciate how little you can see outside of the cone of light from a torch that has a narrow beam. There's this thing called "contrast" and whilst our eyes are quite good at it relative to a digital camera, they're still not fantastic in the grand scheme of things. Pitch black environment + narrow beam of light = fuck all seen outside of that beam of light. Granted, the cutoff of the light beam in DayZ is a little extreme currently and can do with softening a little (and having a little more spread added), but the periphery really does remain dark.

Not realistic my hairy arse.  :lol:

• Like 1

gas lantern works and is a goddamn spotlight 10000w beacon seen from space.

flashlight works; you have to equip it and then raise it and point it at something.

the headlamp works. you wear it as a hat. it points a cone of light seen by space.

the weapon flashlight works. you equip it to your weapon. then point your weapon.

night outside of a city with the moonlight WAS broken but is fixed now.

try changing your settings. or finding batteries/using the lights.

i had to LOWER my gamma and brightness since running through an open field last night in the moonlight was TOO bright to be realistic.

you realise there is an entire component to the game you are trying to make easier?

night is not safe.

lights make you exposed and aren't effective.

there will always be 3pp:on + 24/7 day servers for the non-hardcore.

IF THIS SCREENSHOT IS "TOO DARK" OR LOOKS "UNPLAYABLE" YOU ARE NOT DAYZ MATERIAL.

HrMnxSxl.jpg

OH my why play at night if your going to amp ya gama up to make it well a grey looking day time?????

Edited by pacific_coast

I wanna tell you some thing, i putd my gamma/britness on normal, and i can do every thing, looting is not a problem, if you can use brain, i do not want to tell everyone secrets but even if you make thoce settings unchangable it is not a problem to do everything without a light, not so fast and confort but.. ok, i saw someone writed that before but I will do it again. My eyes can see in the dark better then I wake up at night then when i turn light off when go sleep. GL HF. Rice for everyone

Seems to vary. Occasionally, it's fine, but about half the time it's pitch black and completely not realistic.

I wonder where you guys live, perhaps in a city getting used to all that artificial light lighting up the sky? Because here out in the country during winter and if it is cloudy it does indeed get pitch black. The game is completely realistic in that regard, since there is almost no artificial light besides player torches in the map.

The thing that frustrates me is that I really like night time without messing with the gamma and brightness, but I am not willing to let others have a massive advantage on me by turning theirs up and having much better visibility. If the devs want people to play the game as they intended they should lock brightness and gamma.

• Like 1

You guys are either lying, getting it from another person, or there is a problem with your eyes.

Real life at NIGHT with zero light pollution, or the country, which I frequently visit as many family members live there, you can see from very well, to very little depending on the moon.

You guys must realize, that at night, with no pollution, your eyes fully dilate. So much you can see A MATCH BURNING FROM MILES AWAY, and if would look like a flare. At new moon, it would be extremely hard to see. At full moon, once your eyes dilate, it's just like playing DayZ with gamma up and the HDR on low.

The only thing that needs to change is how the moon affects the brightness of the map. Torches, matches, ANYTHING that gives off light, should be seen like a flare from miles away. If you are using your torch once fully dilated, it should almost blind you, then make your pupils go small again, meaning, harder to see areas not illuminated with a torch.

In real life, full dilation can take about 8 minutes, give or take 4 minutes.

Edited by Space Milk
  • Like 2

Of course the night is dark lol. Have you ever been to a rural area without so much as a streetlamp for at least 5 miles in any direction? Try it, you wont be able to see your hand in front of your face, unless you hold it up to the sky and see the outline against the slightly brighter sky. You wont be able to see the floor, or whats on it, not even the path that you are trying to follow.

Most people live in built up areas, or within a less than a mile from some form of light pollution. I remember an old episode of the X files, where they are in some woods miles from the town. Mulder turns to Scully and says, "you know what....living in the city so long i had forgotten how.....dark....night is". Me and my missus laughed because we had the same feeling when we climbed a mountain for new years. Thats something that has become tradition....and we never leave without a headtorch each, and a backup in our bags lol :)

I love how the stars look out in rural areas.

Edit: directed at whoever suggested to lock those settings by the game:

That's a difficult thing to do - you can lock the in-game settings, and you can also query the respective driver/Windows parameters.

I suggested that a verification screen could be created, that requires the player to enter a multi-digit random number whenever a change of those values is detected, on a screen that is only readable with reasonable gamma and brightness settings.

But than they can still change the respective settings directly on the monitor, and it may be difficult to query those hardware settings (anybody knows of such functions?!)...

Edited by Rantanplan

You guys are either lying, getting it from another person, or there is a problem with your eyes.

Real life at NIGHT with zero light pollution, or the country, which I frequently visit as many family members live there, you can see from very well, to very little depending on the moon.

You guys must realize, that at night, with no pollution, your eyes fully dilate. So much you can see A MATCH BURNING FROM MILES AWAY, and if would look like a flare. At new moon, it would be extremely hard to see. At full moon, once your eyes dilate, it's just like playing DayZ with gamma up and the HDR on low.

The only thing that needs to change is how the moon affects the brightness of the map. Torches, matches, ANYTHING that gives off light, should be seen like a flare from miles away. If you are using your torch once fully dilated, it should almost blind you, then make your pupils go small again, meaning, harder to see areas not illuminated with a torch.

or they are a bunch of 14 year olds...

There are even mutants that can see in total darkness that these kids know nothing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2JIhX0vGhc

Edited by Highlander007
  • Like 1

its pitch black to stop gamma nightvision cheaters

No, it's not. It doesn't help at all.

Solution to problem; Implement the system from Arma 3 where things with lower light level than the human eye can pick up does not get rendered.

Also, on nights with no moonlight, I'd imagine that your eyes would dilate more so that other light sources are more easy to spot, while on brighter nights it would be easier to spot people walking around in the dark, but it would be harder to pick up actual light sources form far away. I am not sure how this works right now.

• Like 1

or they are a bunch of 14 year olds...

There are even mutants that can see in total darkness that these kids know nothing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2JIhX0vGhc

in interview with boy father is possible to see he thinking 'when I find blue eye bastard who taking my wife I kill him' :D

I'm gonna put it out there and say that I actually enjoy playing on servers with night-time. I mean, it's intense.

Just a shame that all my friends don't share the same opinion...

in interview with boy father is possible to see he thinking 'when I find blue eye bastard who taking my wife I kill him' :D

It was actually the neighbors cat that the wife had an affair with

gas lantern works and is a goddamn spotlight 10000w beacon seen from space.

flashlight works; you have to equip it and then raise it and point it at something.

the headlamp works. you wear it as a hat. it points a cone of light seen by space.

the weapon flashlight works. you equip it to your weapon. then point your weapon.

night outside of a city with the moonlight WAS broken but is fixed now.

try changing your settings. or finding batteries/using the lights.

i had to LOWER my gamma and brightness since running through an open field last night in the moonlight was TOO bright to be realistic.

The gas lantern (pristine) turns white, but doesn't produce any light on my settings.

The flashlight is junk. It's like looking thru a paper towell roll indoor since the light is not reflected on anything. And you can't use it with a handgun as any normal human  being would normally do.

The headlamp is junk. The light is not reflected. It replaces your headgear instead of fitting over it as it should. And if you try to aim a gun wearing the headlamp, it points at the ground instead of ahead of you. Useless JUNK.

Edited by Leto

Day z replicates this perfectly (assuming the Arma 2 mechanics for date are still in). Pitch black nights are either a result of dense cloud or lack of moonlight. It reproduces full moon nights perfectly with added visibility. Locking the server date was a common fix on the mod to stop pitch black nights. I'm not debating that under the right conditions it can be tolerable. But pitch black nights can and do happen, no matter how dilated your eyes are.

I agree completely that light souses can be seen for miles around. Using my old example, you could almost make out the people on the top of the mountain form about 1/4 of the way up. I think there is a subtle mechanic for blinding people with torches in the engine. And im sure dilation is in there as well, because in the mod when you removed nvg, everything was pitch and then came back slowly.