Sign in to follow this  
Rōnin Rick

Ridiculous Fall Damage!

Has anybody else noticed how brutal even the shortest of drops are in this game? (DayZ Standalone)

I have fallen literally 3-5 feet and died. To be clear, I'm not talking about falling off rooftops or anything that extreme, I'm talking about something as innocuous as walking off the side of a staircase, or off a low platform. Seriously dropping half a "floor" or less, like less than half the height of your character, and you get the black screen informing you of your death.

I could understand taking damage from moderate drops, breaking a leg even (it's happened to me once already), but dying from a 4 foot drop? What the hell? I thought this game was about realism. I'm not in particularly good shape (come on, I'm on a video game forum!) and I can drop from 6 feet without hurting anything. I certainly don't die!

I get that you're carrying a good deal of gear on you, but still, you shouldn't instantly goddamn DIE from a 4 foot drop!

This problem is only exacerbated by how buggy the game is currently. One time I was on a roof with a knee or waist high wall all the way around; I moved up to it to fire down at zombies with the new Mosin I had found, and my character walked/stepped OVER the damn barrier and plummeted to his death. If I had wanted to climb over the wall I would have pressed 'v'.

Another time I was running down a stairwell in a building and while running down a flight of stairs (I want to say going from the 3rd to 2nd floor, not sure) my character glitched/passed right through the wall and to the outside of the building, where he preceded to fall the 10 or so feet to the ground. And die.

In a game that is purportedly about realism, and especially considering its buggy/unfinished nature, should such slight/negligibly drops/falls fucking KILL you?

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments. Thanks!

Yeah, it's annoying. But I'm sure it will be calibrated to be less frustrating and more realistic. 

they will fix it once they have a working fracture system. if you snap your foot because you jumped down somewhere you die atm :)

ArmA. 'nuff said.

you should be glad you dont break you legs on doorsteps anymore.

• Like 2

It just totally turns me off playing when I die from a tiny fall. Death via bullet or zombie mob doesn't frustrate me much at all. But dropping down from a minimal height and dying, losing all my gear and progress is just plain infuriating. Especially when it was due to buggy/poor collision detection.

Ugh.

Haha yeah that's irritating .. I still get irritated when I lag back 10m while on a third floor and wile coyote in the air for one second before plummeting to my ineviatable death.

Fixes soon for everything right? xD

I fell off a 4 foot embankment, as I was on my way down, I expected a black screen of death, having dealth with that in Arma, luckily it was only a broken leg, and even luckier I had morphine on me.  It happens.

Edited by Phantasm

Every time i fall some distance (even if it's just a few feet) I hold my breath

The disease that ravaged everyone else except us survivors, left us with porous bones. 

I'm just pulling crap out of my arse, but realism in a zombie sim is never a strong argument.

I got the worst of both worlds, I glitched down a ladder at Rify boat managed not to kill myself climbed back up and pressed sprint so I wouldnt slide back to the bottom of the ladder and ended up flying off the side of a RAILED fucking boat 1 million feet to my fully geared death.

Only died from fall damage once. And I had to jump off of a building six times to do it. These threads are weird.

Only died from fall damage once. And I had to jump off of a building six times to do it. These threads are weird.

Cause everything you do is exactly the same as us. You can't judge unless you seriously do a test side by side in the same situations. Stop talking out your ass.