Sign in to follow this  
Olfart

Rare maps? Really? In 2014?

While I rather like the idea of maps being rare, and most survivors being perpetually lost all the time, let's be honest: It's 2014, and most people have heard of a thing called "the internet". It takes most people less than 30 seconds to locate http://dayzdb.com/map, which makes it a rather silly thing to try and make maps rare.

There's plenty of things you can make rare in a game, but information simply isn't one of them. So here's my suggestion:

• Remove the idea of doling the map out in quarters - just make it a complete charnarus map on every spawn.
  • Drastically increase the spawn rate of maps.
  • Consider ignoring the spawn rate and just give one to every fresh spawn, just like the flashlight.

OlFart

• Like 1

Computer+internet+google= less map in the world. Chernarus was not spared.

But yeah, map are really rare actually even if we know where to find them. Adding more maps in the world can be great.

nah in stary or cherno you can make a couple of maps just look in wrecks

To be honest i dont think they are rare if you know where to look ;) I have found lots of them in the front of the car wrecks, esp the ones beneath the cherno skycrapers.

But i personally dont like them to be split in quarters, i dont think it encourages people to search for them instead of checking an online map. Just put the whole map in and keep them spawning in vehicles, i like that idea a lot.

I have the whole map. I first found SE and NE maps (Which make a whole east map), then a W map. Combined them and bam, a pristine "Map" without extra letters. It says a full map of Chernarus in the description.

By your logic the in-game map should have loot placement and water pumps. Not to mention cheats and spoilers.

It does have water pumps.

Edited by Sutinen

I've memorized the entire map from the mod, I have no need for maps. I don't think they should be made less rare as it helps new players to explore the map by just running around instead of a specific position.

By your logic the in-game map should have loot placement and water pumps. Not to mention cheats and spoilers.

The ingame map HAS waterpumps marked.

i think maps should be abit more common, as finding the full thing can take time and makes exploring more fun when you know where you are going

That sucks if it does have the water pumps. It makes no sense, why a water pump in someones back yard would be on a map. The map should be made a lot less detailed, more like a civilian road map, less like a military map. I don't even want to see buildings.

• Like 2

i mean in reality are maps rare? i know i have 3, 1 for me (in the car) and one for each of my parent's cars, then the tourist offices must have hundereds but they will be of small local areas

While I rather like the idea of maps being rare, and most survivors being perpetually lost all the time, let's be honest: It's 2014, and most people have heard of a thing called "the internet". It takes most people less than 30 seconds to locate http://dayzdb.com/map, which makes it a rather silly thing to try and make maps rare.

A map without contourlines...

I like the current situation. The RL internet map without contourlines (worthless). The ingame map is a contourlines map (high value).

The spawn rate is ok for me. Is a map rare?

Edited by NoCheats

i prefer to play with the ingame map, dayzdb is just taking too much away from the experience. but to each their own.

uncommon maps should be tourist maps pre-outbreak:

CeskyRaj3Dmap.JPG

while really rare maps should be topographic maps, more likely used during rescue efforts after the outbreak:

M-34-107.jpg

Edited by e47
  • Like 4

I'm sure there's people who like being lost until they find a map, but in the end you are going to be hunted by people who know exactly what the area looks like, and will take full advantage of it. The point I was trying to get across was that those with no map will always be at a disadvantage to those that either know the map from years of gaming or those that simply look it up on the internet. Making maps rare is trying to create artificial scarcity on information - and that only works as long as people play along.

Like I said, making maps a rare item is a neat idea, but it's only effective as long as people play nice. That's what makes it a neat idea, but not a good idea. This is DayZ; it's a rare few that play nice. Most will do anything to get ahead and then start shooting everyone in sight. The only way to avoid being executed in DayZ is to stay the hell away from the coast and roads, and use a map to navigate. May as well provide easy access to the map in game, and save people the trouble of visiting Google.

Edited by Olfart

Maps are kinda silly.  Shift Tab in steam and bring up the web browser...

Now if pieces of maps were used to find hidden rare loot.. Now you got something.

I agree that maps should be more common. I'm sure this will be tweaked. No maps on spawn.

Edited by Roshi

Well just because you dont use the map ingame why should everyone get a map then? There are people that play the game without cheating like me and I dont want a map when I spawn. Its like "everyone can combat log right now so just make us invincible".

Just let them not take up an item slot... i mean why is it either a 4th of a fucking map OR a Can of Beans?  .. If maps had no inventory cost that would be awesome.   Or if your map created an item you could use on all your respawns when completed.... Then you can make them even more rare...

While maps are relatively rare, and while i'm not sure maps should be in separate pieces. I DO know that there's no way in hell that you're getting a map on spawn, and it should stay that way.

I use the online map sometimes, but i'd rather use the in game map.  

Edited by Capo

DayZ DB is honestly no help to me, I know the dayZ map better than I know my own city.

• Like 1

Map in Dayz is just something to flash to your friend to look cool. You don't really need them in-game. You can get around just fine when you know the sun is always south.

When are we going to have watch and day/night cycle that makes some sense?

Map should be part of the menu, just like "Options".