joeymp

Why does every person with a gun shoot on sight?

You guys complaining about KoS are idiots. Re-evaluate what you are doing and assess the situation.

Question number 1: Are you in Balota, NEAF, or NWAF.

If the answer is yes. Don't expect friendlies. Period.

Question number 2: Are you yourself armed, do you look threatening? Are you wearing a payday mask/gas mask.

If yes, your chances of getting KoS'd increase. If I see a guy rolling in with full camo and a gas mask you look creepy and threatening unless you convince me otherwise you're up to no good.

Question number 3: Do you have a Mic?/If you do, are you a little kid?

If no to having a mic, expect your chances of getting killed increased. If you're a little kid with a mic be expecting to die and hopefully not by bullets, rotten bananas would be fitting.

There stop complaining now.

Edited by Immersive
  • Like 1

There's nothing anyone can do to fix this. You can mark "bandits" with a certain clothing item (like bandannas in the mod), but people are still going to kill! You can make zombies more of a threat and hope people will band together, but people are still going to kill! Hell, you can even remove guns altogether, and i guarantee that we would see a rise in Axe Murderers running rampant in Chernarus! 

People are always going to kill people in DayZ, it's a simple but unfortunate fact of life. 

The humanity system in DayZ mod was flawed and exploitable. You had to kill too many survivors as a survivor to be a bandit and you could farm humanity to be hero and kill survivors without becoming bandit for many, many kills. That's why it don't worked as it should

I played on servers with custom humanity system and it worked very well for stoping KoS.

Edited by Frosti

they could help curb the Kos mentality when they add a skill system so that when u die u only lose a percentage of the skills acquired based on your humanity 5% loss for heroes down to 20% loss for bandits

its harder to play nice than Kos... risk Vs reward

So magic stuff? Maybe they can have you learn magic spells to fly too? 

All character progression should be lost on death, 100% of it for everyone. 

The humanity system in DayZ mod was flawed and exploitable. You had to kill too many survivors as a survivor to be a bandit and you could farm humanity to be hero and kill survivors without becoming bandit for many, many kills. That's why it don't worked as it should

I played on servers with custom humanity system and it worked very well for stoping KoS.

It comes down to the "humanity" magic being a fundamentally bad idea for DayZ. 

Not magic stuff at all but there needs to be skills to provide some character progression other than just gear, as it stands there is zero reason for an under geared player to not attack a fully armed person the risk is you die and all that changed is your location where the reward is high of getting his gear.

if you was losing skills you would do everything you can to survive gear wouldn't be as important as your life which is how it should be.

If you don't kill someone when you get the chance, they will get a chance to kill you. It's simply not worth the risk.

If you don't kill someone when you get the chance, they will get a chance to kill you. It's simply not worth the risk.

If you believe this then your not doing it right. Make sure that in an encounter you are the one in charge, basicaly you can see them but they cant see you. Communicate with them and let them know you wont shoot but do not turn to face you otherwise you will have to shoot.

Make sure to disarm them and then you can talk properly, if they wont disarm then tell them to walk in a certain direction untill you cant see them anymore (preferably not into some trees or buildings).

Kos is necessary in some situations but if you do it all the time you are depriving yourself of most of the charm of dayz. Do yourself a favour be creative and enjoy the game for what it was meant for, Human interaction.

Hmm, my very first experience with KoS in this game was myself. I was in the jail/military building (whatever it's labeled as) in Zelenogorsk messing with my control settings, trying to find how to control a very specific action. I was in that back room hiding in the corner messing with controls for about fifteen minutes. As soon as I closed my settings menu a guy in full military gear with his m4 out walks in the door. It was my first encounter with an armed person and I paniced. Mostly from having felt so safe in the options menu. I sprayed a full 30 round clip into the poor bastard. (He probably died after 5 bullets or so, but since it takes so long for the body to fall and I was paniced I didn't let go). Afterwards I wished I had the prescence of mind to try and hold the guy up. Luck for me I was in the corner behind the door, so I had the better position. Had I been standing anywhere else I may have been shot to death myself.

Well, my take on it:

"Why does every person with a gun shoot on sight?"

Not all do, that's a fact. You have to be somewhat lucky be at the right place at the right time and encounter the right people. In turn, I view pure KOS as the easy way out, and also as boring in the long run. Sure, it can be exciting but might just lead to a lower life expectancy, simply because any combat you initiate or take part in can mean unforeseen consequences. Yeah, no cops will come in Chernarus anymore, but maybe something worse. Besides, there are already groups around that basically replace law enforcement, depending on the server you or they play on.

So it's not like "KOS is the most rewarding way", unless you count "death" as reward among that. As a loner you might tend to get paranoid, at least I was until I joined up with a group that helps certain people. Really, if you think long enough, everything has pros and cons.

If you're constantly putting yourself in a situation where you're the one getting shot at... well you're doing it wrong.

Taken how easy it is to survive at the moment I can just imagine the KoS cries if the game gets a little challenging on that department. As long as there are guns you're gonna get shot at for one reason or another and I wouldn't take it any other way.

I shoot two dudes: First one had hands up and said that he has no stuff. But in fact he had a saline pack.

And a otherguy with cilvil clothing and a fire extinguisher had ammo boxes full with ammo in his backpack.

I killed two people in game the other day ... we were trying to find our friend (who was being force fed rotten fruit by a gang of 5) and as we come off the wooded hill into the edge of cherno I range slightly ahead and to the east so as to go through the outskirts tiny town .. also water ... my friend sticks on the hill still trying at assatain our friends exact position.

Suddenly he says damn I see two guys, with a little guidance I spot them off to the west kinda half way up the hill near my friend, they both turn towards him at which point I start to creep up on them .. the moment I got close enough behind them i put them both down .. could I of talked to them and checked if they were bad, sure ... but when two guys roughly point their mosins towards my friend I am not going to piss around.. easier and better just to put them down.

As a rule fo thumb if my lot see a guy with a gun we treat them as hostile until otherwise proven .. but anyone with melee or nothing is fine by us, we will even give them some food.

It's simple: the most efficient and least risky method of survival is to kill every stranger you see (if they are alone or if you outnumber/outwit them), at the earliest opportunity.   Preferably without letting them know you exist until it's too late.

But why is that, you ask?

The game is such that the greatest threat to your character is other players.  Neutralizing other players means neutralizing the greatest threat to survival.

So what can we do if we wanted to reduce the rate of KOS?

It's easy:  introduce an element to the game which poses a greater threat to your character than the threat of other players.  Naturally some players will start banding together, randomly, to cooperate to neutralize this threat.  The more threatening this new element is, the more people will work together to defeat it.

What is this new 'element'?

I don't know, be creative.  A giant robot?  Or to fit with the theme maybe even a roaming hoard of relentless zombies (hint hint)?

Bottom line

The enemy of your enemy is your ally.

Long story short, a guy was once a friendly dude, he got shoot on sight multiple time and then start to kos too. In his rampage, he kos some friendly who in their turn become berserk... They finally kill some other friendly who also lost their cool, and so on. The humans in this game are rabit and there are no turning back.

I can understand some play this as Call of duty with big map, KOS everybody they come across.....but I see no point in killing a freshpawn without weapon or even a damn bean can.....

This game is nothing like COD, not matter how you play it. COD cliche is moot clich

Edited by Ratiasu

I have yet to run into a player with a gun that doesn't shoot on sight. Even if I wave or surrender or call out friendly, they always shoot on sight.

The answer to this question can be found by watching the following demonstration -- TheDevilDogGamer attempts to be "Friendly" to all players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPstXBq92c

Edited by Caelib

As loner it'll usually be more risky to encounter friendly players if you try to be friendly yourself. Simply because you do not outnumber anyone unless in a group, or you might encounter a small group yourself. That means that you lack one possible advantage that lets people consider.

Theoretical scenario: People meet, one on one. Probably paranoid, loners, etc. You get to think: Talk? Avoid? Try to kill? Could get his stuff? My point is, people, unless both really play the friendly route, are more inclined to shoot in such a situation, I assume.

My experience tells me it's easier to "turn people friendly" if you outnumber them. They'll obviously see they are facing a larger threat and that death is highly likely if they try to attack said group. So they usually have no choice or take the stupid route themselves.

In short, a group running up to people trying to communicate and being friendly is different than loners or strangers trying to establish contact. More risky for the strangers, indeed.

Edited by Combine
  • Like 1

I died a couple of days back when I walked up friendly like to two guys and said "Ahoy Hoy" ... I figured they weren't good men if they didn't like my Nautical / Mr Burns themed hello.

I don't KOS nor do any of my friends unless the other guy has a gun in which case KOS is the best approach.

Combine, I totally agree.  I generally move with 2 - 5 other players.  When we encounter a group we outnumber by 2/1 or more, it is almost always going to end up being a relatively peaceful exchange.  We have numbers and firepower (at least equal man to man firepower in most cases) and can sort of dictate the flow of conversation and the level of violence.