joeymp

Why does every person with a gun shoot on sight?

I've seen plenty of videos that refute your claim. Being friendly can be rewarding in all sorts of ways, not least in gaining friends and/or starting a team, which is and will keep being the most powerful tool in the game.

The rewards are only a mental state, though. Gamewise you do not gain anything, because there is no real need to team up, as DayZ offers no threat apart from other players right now. Once that is fixed and certain mechanisms are developed though KoS will likely sove itself.

• Like 1

I think it comes down to a lack of consequences maybe because of public hive, no sense of community and no way to find and take revenge on that person if you met the same people on a server regularly and one backstabbed you would remember not to trust him next time.

I think it should be 1 char per server if you jump to a new one you have to start fresh spawn on coast this would remove Ghosting and server hopping for loot also.

• Like 1

I have yet to run into a player with a gun that doesn't shoot on sight. Even if I wave or surrender or call out friendly, they always shoot on sight.

That's the predatory nature of things, everyone has equal chances to find weapons, someone who has one before you is now in a position where he can now leverage the have not to his own personal gain. The second reason is strategic, a dead player is a player you don't have to worry about.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, if anything it makes the experience a little shallow, but that's part of exploring a new type of game and trying to refine the formula.

I just realised that i wrote this article in 2010 that kinda talks about it http://kdc.ethernia.net/game-design/how-do-we-prevent-them-from-killing-eachothers/

KoS is boring , it is like playing CoD on large map, had much more fun RP and interacting with other players

keeping them alive also becomes boring after a while there's only so many times u can steal their blood and make fresh spawns fist fight each other.

its just lacking any real reason to want to take the risk of teaming up with people you don't know 

Because combat logging is so widespread at the moment that the non-lethal forms of banditry are simply not viable.

If you try to actually hold someone up at gunpoint to rob some of  their gear, 9 out of 10 players will just log out.

Until this is fixed its just better to kill people before they have a chance to react, and then take the loot off of their dead bodies.

Yea it's boring, but theres no alternative right now.

I do expect KoS to go down after CL is fixed though.

• Like 1

I have yet to run into a player with a gun that doesn't shoot on sight. Even if I wave or surrender or call out friendly, they always shoot on sight.

LOL... I ran into a fella at the NWAF. We both had M4's. I waved, he waved back. He even asked if I wanted to loot the tech building he was about to enter. I told him he could have it. We said our goodbyes and went on our way.

5 minutes later I was at the other end of the airfield and somebody ( not the guy mentioned above ) shot me in the back.

The first couple of times you get KOS'd, it's very frustrating. But after a while you simple shrug it off and start again. To be honest, when you're fully geared, pristine M4, 200+ bullets, two handguns, a medikit, maybe an ammo box and 2 packs of rice... the game is too easy. No zombie is a threat and as long as you see the other guy first, no survivor is either. I remember the last time I got KOS'd, I felt a sense of relief. Now I could start from scratch, I had a goal again. Running around with a fully geared character had me thinking: "so NOW what do I do?".

When my current character dies (can't be too long off now :P ) i'm considering taking a minimalist approach: no guns, only a melee weapon and concentrate on getting my health up. Then maybe try to overpower some high gear players by using stealth and tactics. We'll see...

• Like 1

I tend not to shoot on site. It does depend on the situation though. If im the one holding the power in an encounter then i wont shoot but will make it clear to them that i will if they try anything. If i get shot at then they are fair game. 

Yesterday 1 sniper in cherno learned that the hard way.

I see no benefit in killing players I don't need to.  Most of the time I avoid being seen but if someone gets the jump on me 9 times out of 10 I just run.  Especially since I don't play on all-day servers or server hope I am not going to risk losing my stuff to someone gamma cheating or someone getting decked in 30 minutes just to screw with people they find,

Like Turkey above me said, I will defend myself any time I can but I will not shoot someone in the back unless they've shot at me first and I pursuit.

Edited by Mdogg2005

Fear. Anyone that has a gun and is aiming it, is going down. Anyone without a gun, and is a fresh spawn, I will let pass, as long as they don't come near me.

I don't kill on sight but it's becoming increasingly impossible to trust anybody, especially new spawns. My friends and I try to be the good kind of bandit people post about, and we usually have a lot of fun and get thanked by our "victims", but at this point we have decided to just kill people that look like they have nothing of value to lose. Story time!

Last night I was hanging out in Berezino, waiting for a friend, and I spotted a relatively new-looking spawn with a wrench and crappy backpack running in to the construction site. I lost him inside and didn't want to risk a confrontation on the stairs so I decided to wait for him outside.

Two other new-ish spawns, his friends I must assume, suddenly run up the hill so I told them to kneel down and put their hands up while I kept an eye out for the first guy behind me, they co-operated. One of them was clearly British, so I told them I am not interested in killing them and will let them go if one of them sings God Save The Queen down the mic. He was about to do so when I spotted the original guy coming up behind me with an axe in his hands, this guy clearly wanted some of my gear.

I put down the guy with the axe, but then one of the other guys starts swinging at me with a wrench so I put him down too and they start whining down the mic about KoS or something, I couldn't really make it out, so I turned to the third remaining newspawn (who hadn't made a move) and told her "you're all fucking stupid, this is why people kill on sight" before shooting her.

I didn't want to kill them, but what did I get for my trouble? Let's see. A retarded newspawn swinging a wrench at my back won me:

• Ruined backpack.
  • Ruined medical bag with full saline kit, painkillers, charcoal tabs, and antibiotics.
  • Ruined pair of handcuffs and keys.
  • Ruined canteens.
  • Ruined (originally pristine) spare red dot optics for my M4.
  • Ruined jacket.

Even if they killed me, that stuff would be useless to them, one of them would have won an M4 that's easy to acquire anyway, but they decided to act like mentally defficient psychos, get themselves killed, and have to meet up all over again from random places. When I checked the server list it was actually three players short, so I guess I "ruined their night" and they decided they had enough. Too bad.

From now on I'm putting a bullet in all newspawns that are close enough to be a threat. This is why people kill on sight.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 2

There's nothing anyone can do to fix this. You can mark "bandits" with a certain clothing item (like bandannas in the mod), but people are still going to kill! You can make zombies more of a threat and hope people will band together, but people are still going to kill! Hell, you can even remove guns altogether, and i guarantee that we would see a rise in Axe Murderers running rampant in Chernarus! 

People are always going to kill people in DayZ, it's a simple but unfortunate fact of life. 

I was in a house and someone walked in with a mosin.. I panicked, ran out of the house and then shot the guy once when he came out(his weapon lowered). He didn't die and just stood there in front of me. He didn't even pull up his mosin. I instantly felt so ashamed and asked him if he needed anything. From his responses I noticed he was new to the game. 

I gave him a Saline bag IV and then tried to bandage him but he ran off.

The point is that I shot on sight out of panic and that's all. I guess it happens to other people as well.

I think the whole KOS thing is over stated.  I meet plenty of people who don't shoot on sight.  My first game, I met a fully geared buy searching a body.  He swore at me and told me to take what I needed and get off the roof (it was the factory near Solychnyia).  I had an M4 and a pile of other items and ammo.  I realize now the guy took a huge risk.  He was pointing a gun at me as I did the looting and when I looked back, he was watching me run up into the trees.

I have bandaged several folks and ended up adding them to Steam and running with them later.

Simple answer,

Too many kids/teens.

A lot of small minded non manageable incapable people.

• Like 3

a mind  set developed from years of playing FPS games where the rule is it moves you kill it thats how you win. They bring the same idea to the game here and bam KOS goes wild.

hard to un learn the habbits of years of shooting in fps and now it is what they expect what they enjoy this certainly isnt the only reason but id be guessing its quite a big one its merely the mindset of the majority.

I don't kill on sight but it's becoming increasingly impossible to trust anybody, especially new spawns. My friends and I try to be the good kind of bandit people post about, and we usually have a lot of fun and get thanked by our "victims", but at this point we have decided to just kill people that look like they have nothing of value to lose. Story time!

Last night I was hanging out in Berezino, waiting for a friend, and I spotted a relatively new-looking spawn with a wrench and crappy backpack running in to the construction site. I lost him inside and didn't want to risk a confrontation on the stairs so I decided to wait for him outside.

Two other new-ish spawns, his friends I must assume, suddenly run up the hill so I told them to kneel down and put their hands up while I kept an eye out for the first guy behind me, they co-operated. One of them was clearly British, so I told them I am not interested in killing them and will let them go if one of them sings God Save The Queen down the mic. He was about to do so when I spotted the original guy coming up behind me with an axe in his hands, this guy clearly wanted some of my gear.

I put down the guy with the axe, but then one of the other guys starts swinging at me with a wrench so I put him down too and they start whining down the mic about KoS or something, I couldn't really make it out, so I turned to the third remaining newspawn (who hadn't made a move) and told her "you're all fucking stupid, this is why people kill on sight" before shooting her.

I didn't want to kill them, but what did I get for my trouble? Let's see. A retarded newspawn swinging a wrench at my back won me:

• Ruined backpack.
  • Ruined medical bag with full saline kit, painkillers, charcoal tabs, and antibiotics.
  • Ruined pair of handcuffs and keys.
  • Ruined canteens.
  • Ruined (originally pristine) spare red dot optics for my M4.
  • Ruined jacket.

Even if they killed me, that stuff would be useless to them, one of them would have won an M4 that's easy to acquire anyway, but they decided to act like mentally defficient psychos, get themselves killed, and have to meet up all over again from random places. When I checked the server list it was actually three players short, so I guess I "ruined their night" and they decided they had enough. Too bad.

From now on I'm putting a bullet in all newspawns that are close enough to be a threat. This is why people kill on sight.

You deserve much worse than that for encountering a vermin and not exterminating it. 

We all have our parts to play in this. 

You deserve much worse than that for encountering a vermin and not exterminating it. 

We all have our parts to play in this. 

Why do you ree-rees even bother with all this RPing on the forums.  No one cares.  It's a decent enough idea, but it really doesn't carry any weight here, where people are trying to discuss the problems and issues with the game.  Save it for your own forums, or in your recruiting threads.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Why do you ree-rees even bother with all this RPing on the forums.  No one cares.  It's a decent enough idea, but it really doesn't carry any weight here, where people are trying to discuss the problems and issues with the game.  Save it for your own forums, or in your recruiting threads.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

damn, I think somebody is going to need to bandage that first-degree burn ;)

KoS is certainly rampant in the game right now. However, it will NEVER fully go away and it shouldn't because it adds to the game. However, once they fix a lot of the current problems (such as combat logging, server hopping, loot spawn rate, respawning loot, and ruined items no longer working) KoS will be curbed a bit because the risks will outweigh the rewards (unless you can get a clean headshot). Also, I'm sure the devs know about this and will implement some minor systems to influence people in interact with other players.

Ther is a milion reasons whay KOS, few of them :

1*Fresh spown try take you out with hands

2*ppl try kill you with any melee weapon

3*ppl hide weapons in inventory and after you give him food, try shot you after.

4*ppl shot you even if you run without weapon.

Then, i wanna ask : WHAY NOT ????

Edited by IceDiamond

KoSing is why I usually stay in servers below 15 people. Every time I've been in a 30+ I was always KoSed even by people who spawned next to me. And since that's happened a lot to me and my friends that play we bait/KoS people now because of that

I guess I have been REALLY lucky so far in my first 2 days. I have had well armed people run up on me and ask me to raise my hands a couple of times but then they just asked me if i need food/drink. I have witnessed a guy hold up and rob another then run away. Once 2 well armed guys just ran up to me and asked me what I was up then wished me luck and left. I guess this is rare lol

I guess I have been REALLY lucky so far in my first 2 days. I have had well armed people run up on me and ask me to raise my hands a couple of times but then they just asked me if i need food/drink. I have witnessed a guy hold up and rob another then run away. Once 2 well armed guys just ran up to me and asked me what I was up then wished me luck and left. I guess this is rare lol

Zombies are weak as fug, and feeding, clothing, and hydrating your self is way too easy.  That is why it doesn't matter.   Not to mention it is all the rage and you must play it.  So, there all the kiddies are playing it as well.

Just dump a bunch of respawning Zs in here already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :thumbsup:

they could help curb the Kos mentality when they add a skill system so that when u die u only lose a percentage of the skills acquired based on your humanity 5% loss for heroes down to 20% loss for bandits

its harder to play nice than Kos... risk Vs reward