joeymp

Why does every person with a gun shoot on sight?

I have yet to run into a player with a gun that doesn't shoot on sight. Even if I wave or surrender or call out friendly, they always shoot on sight.

• Like 1

The game is currently imbalanced and makes Kill on Sight the superior MO. Probably shouldn't be like that, but for a while at least it'll be pretty bad.

• Like 6

Because what tells me that you, "friendly" guy, are actually friendly?

My goal is survival time, better safe than sorry.

your logic is flawed. let's say I am lying about being friendly and I have back up waiting in the trees, then even if you kill me my back will just kill you so what is the point? Now if I'm alone and I really am friendly, you have a gun and therefore have control over the situation, there is no reason to shoot unless I try to attack you.
  • Like 1

As already said, KoS is the easy way.

Since you have NOTHING to loose and often nothing to gain from it as well. So people KoS, because they dont want to take a chance.

Ever since I've started playing on first person servers (not trying to derail the topic into a point of view deal), I seem to get a lot less hostility. It could be just the time of day that I play, server that I play on, or something else completely unrelated. I should also add I've not run into many people that just shoot on sight outside of airfields, so I'm sure in game location has a lot to do with the type of people you'll run into. Personally my squad and I won't shoot on sight unless you appear hostile. I'd encourage you to not give up because of what seems to be a large amount of people shooting first and asking questions later.

I can't say much because I don't know how you play, but possibly trying to be more careful and getting the upper hand so you can initiate the interaction might go a long way in controlling a non-hostile situation. I like to believe a lot of people that shoot right off the get go are more afraid of you than you are of them and just need to see your intentions before they have a chance to act on their own.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Sab

I'm fully geared, i walked up to a couple of unarmed dudes like "hey do you need food or water?"

*boom*

their friend shoots me and they all loot my gear which i spent hours trying to attain and they get it in 5 minutes because im trying to help them out, i just kos everyone i see now, i dont even bat an eyelid

If I saw your digusting mug I'd shoot you too.

I can understand some play this as Call of duty with big map, KOS everybody they come across.....but I see no point in killing a freshpawn without weapon or even a damn bean can.....

Edited by Firmin

people will KOS regardless. just now for eg i had a rock on rust i attacked two armed players with machine guns because thats how i play.

I have yet to run into a player with a gun that doesn't shoot on sight. Even if I wave or surrender or call out friendly, they always shoot on sight.

Don't take obvious routes/roads. Avoid places like electro/Cherno/airfields where campers like to hang out. Avoid towns near coast. Avoid other players or approach with caution. Try playing on a lower pop server if all else fails.

Or do what I do...

Run around naked with a baseball bat singing Harry Belafonte songs...while serpentining. I made it all the way from Kamyshovo to Elektro to Cherno like that on a near full 40 slot server, decided to put pants on in Cherno, got to Balota, killed quite a few server hoppers at the airfield and then ran back to Kamyshovo singing on the way back....still alive.

• Like 1

people will KOS regardless. just now for eg i had a rock on rust i attacked two armed players with machine guns because thats how i play.

I thought Rust was supposed to be a naked caveman game. How the hell do you end up with machine guns from chopping wood and mining rocks?

• Like 1

My friends and I struggle with this all the time. We have been KoSed, and have had some situations where both parties had weapons but we talked it down and just avoided each other. However the other day, we came up to northwest airfield and turn a corner and see a guy. We call out to him are you friendly we won't shoot you if you are. Idk if he lagged or meant to, but we see his m4 come out and we start shooting. but he runs away, then he runs back at us saying I am friendly but at that point we were already shooting and didn't hear it till he was pretty much dead. We felt kinda bad. Basically in my group there are two who will try and talk (even though we all do) but there is one who kinda wants to always kill on sight because of past experiences.

The goal is long term survival.

If I come close to you with my bag full of food and shiny gun whats to keep you from hitting me in the head once and knocking me out?

Its safer to avoid you or just flat out kill you

Becouse game rewards killing on sight.

It rewards you with SURVIVAL if that's your point. 

Which it better be because that's all you should be satisfied with.

Edited by Flight96

Fear.  I'm not proud of it, but I've done it. Mostly out of fear.

I've tried to communicate with other players before, to avoid conflict, give them or me a chance to avoid an encounter.

Every time I've gotten a bullet for my trouble.

I logged in last night and immediatly heard someone nearby, inside the building. My heart jumped up to 120 in an instant.
It was dark, I couldn't see well, I didn't know where they were and I expected them to shoot me as soon as they saw me.
This was a military bulding so I figure anyone here is armed and dangerous.
I waited without making a sound and as soon as I saw a sillouette pass in front of a window I opened fire. Panic fire, emptied half the magazine.
Afterwards I was ashamed but still near panic 'cause I didn't know if he had firends nearby and even if he didn't, other players nearby surely heard that gunfire.

What other video game can give you that kind of emotional experience?

If nobody killed on sight and everyone was friendly, the game would lose much of it's appeal.  After you learn how to survive and where to get food and supplies, what else is there to do?

Edited by Hutch
  • Like 2

What other video game can give you that kind of emotional experience?

NONE! I think that's why alot of us are here lol. 

Nice little story.

This approach to being friendly SHOULD get you killed. If you are a friendly, you basically have to play as a bandit, but instead of robbing and/or killing the guy once you have them where you want them, you help them.

A hero in DayZ has to be ready and able to kill the guy that he's trying to help. If you don't have a tactical advantage, don't initiate contact.

• Like 2

If I didn't have a gun, I'd axe on sight.

It's just easier with the gun.

I think that people KoS because they are afraid. They are afraid of losing. Losing their gear, their time they've put in this character, their self-esteem and power over you, or losing in this game (which makes no sense to me whatsoever). And this fear became the main feeling in the game for them. Not excitement, not engagement, not happiness and joy, but fear. Those who combat log after you retaliate are afraid more, those who just try kill anyone and fight to death are afraid less, but all of them are afraid.

And, IMO, you can't get everything this game has to deliver if you are constantly afraid and worrying.

Becouse game rewards killing on sight.

It does not really reward it. If you are armed and the other person is not, then you have nothing to gain really that could not also be achieved by each minding their own business. If you are more geared than him, then he will have nothing of interest for you except maybe a canopener. You will likely have a shitload of supplies, ammo etc. He will have nothing of interest for you. But in shooting first you are risking your life as well. Combat is always risky, backing off not that much.

Furthermore zombies or environmental threats are now non-existant, even for new spawns, and geared up nothing but other players pose a challenge. That is why most people go to Elektro and KoS. Not roleplay or anything, it is just not enough to do and gearing up is so easy.

Ever since I've started playing on first person servers (not trying to derail the topic into a point of view deal), I seem to get a lot less hostility. It could be just the time of day that I play, server that I play on, or something else completely unrelated. I should also add I've not run into many people that just shoot on sight outside of airfields, so I'm sure in game location has a lot to do with the type of people you'll run into. Personally my squad and I won't shoot on sight unless you appear hostile. I'd encourage you to not give up because of what seems to be a large amount of people shooting first and asking questions later.

I can't say much because I don't know how you play, but possibly trying to be more careful and getting the upper hand so you can initiate the interaction might go a long way in controlling a non-hostile situation. I like to believe a lot of people that shoot right off the get go are more afraid of you than you are of them and just need to see your intentions before they have a chance to act on their own.

Hope this helps. :)

No one will take the chance of dying on a 1st person only server. It's because without third person they don't have the advantage but 1st person makes the game more realistic SO in turn you have to be super cautious .

• Like 1