Sign in to follow this  
Sam Maunder

Would you kill a bandit?

So imagine this:

You're strolling through a city, when out of the corner of your eye you see a bandit running towards you down the road. He hasn't shot at you yet and you have time to fire off a couple shots before he can do anything.

My question is: Because he has a bandit model (Forget about gear) would you kill him or try and talk to him?

(Personally I'd raise my weapon and warn him through direct and if he pointed it at me I'd cap him. I like my RP.)

Not if it lowers my humanity. I usually don't shoot people unless I have a reason

I've had people shoot at me who didn't appear to be facing in my direction due to lag/whatever, I see someone with a bandit skin and they're going to get lit up before they have a chance to do the same to me.

TBH I think that's the main problem with the system atm, if you accidentally killed someone but you arent playing with friends then you have zero chance of getting back into the normal, anyone who sees you is going to kill you.

On the other hand bandits who travel in packs can just take turns murdering people then have their mates take a few zombie hits and get back into normal by transfusing them, really the current system only disadvantages the good guys. It also means that if you play as a lone wolf bandit and decide you want to be one of the good guys then you're boned, I imagine there would be just no way to get that rep back.

No, I shoot always as second (if have a chance :D )... shame on me

The honor decay system you just implemented seems like a good way to negate some of the issues i mentioned earlier, it doesn't appear to be working for me at the moment though.

Its hard enough preventing the urge to shoot normal survivors let alone a bandit.....

I don't think it's very fair to directly assume he's a bandit due to malicious reasons.

But no, I wouldn't shoot at him, unless he raised he gun at me. But honestly I probably wouldn't be in this position, more often than not I just avoid people, since I'd rather not get backstabbed but I don't fancy killing other players.

Unless you are a bandit yourself or REALLY want that gun the bandit in question is carrying you are probably better off just avoiding them, as you might anyone else. Gunfire draws zombies and the bandit skin is negated by darkness anyway.

Now on the other hand, if this bandit thing were expanded upon to show very low levels of humanity (your mass murderer types for example)... covered in blood, hockey goalie mask, a necklass made from human ears or something, yeah, I'd feel a bit better about shooting at them.

Kick it up a notch and make some sort of reward system for killing the REALLY bad "bandits" and hell, I'd want to try my hand as a bounty hunter! :D

People who kill bandits should get a model change too...it would make for great faction wars

At first sight no? Quite often the bandits want to redeem themselves so I just give them a second chance even if the community didn't.

Didn't have to shoot a single bandit yet, they all turned out friendly.

Without a doubt I will shoot the bandit first. They obviously have no qualms about killing other people. If they were repentant they would be smart and stay hidden until their bandit status wears off.

kill on sight, unless we were surrounded by zombies.

sure, he might be a good guy.

but im not willing to take that chance. i've been killed twice because i didn't shoot first and ask questions later.

Running towards me? I'd shoot him in the face, several times. Running at another player is something you don't do in the normal survivor skin, let alone a bandit skin. When I come across someone, I politely announce my presence over the chat and slowly emerge from cover after it has been established I'm not hostile. Running at someone silently is suspicious and can also get you tagged as a zombie.

kill on sight' date=' unless we were surrounded by zombies.

sure, he might be a good guy.

but im not willing to take that chance. i've been killed twice because i didn't shoot first and ask questions later.

[/quote']

Well, bandit or not, he could shoot you anyway, I'm just reinforcing that him being a bandit doesn't really matter, if you think about it. Though regardless it is sad to see that more, and more people are starting to take this stance on other players. It seems like it's only of a matter of time before it will just be a PvP war-zone with zombies in the midst of it.

Not all of us are Bandits cause we want to be. :(

I have the Bandit skin cause me and my boys were jumped just outside a town by about 5-7 heavily armed guys, I managed to sneak up behind and kill one or two and put a couple of winchester shots into some of the others before the server then immediately crashed.

One of my friends was brutally murdered in the exchange of fire.

(Also anyone know what the number in brackets next to the humanity meter represents?)

Not all of us are Bandits cause we want to be. :(

I have the Bandit skin cause me and my boys were jumped just outside a town by about 5-7 heavily armed guys' date=' I managed to sneak up behind and kill one or two and put a couple of winchester shots into some of the others before the server then immediately crashed.

One of my friends was brutally murdered in the exchange of fire.

(Also anyone know what the number in brackets next to the humanity meter represents?)

[/quote']

Is that Devil's castle? I've been around there a lot lately; do malicious gun toters hang around there often?

This is exactly the reason why at this point, I think that the 'humanity' system in general is a bad idea. Even if you see that the guy looks like a "bandit", you don't know his story. He could have been ambushed and have defended himself without taking a scratch, or he could have shot one of his buddies on accident, in the fray of a firefight. While on the other hand, someone with the "survivor" skin could be a murderer that had been laying low until his humanity came back, or perhaps just a new player with malicious plans.

At this point, it's just as vague regarding the players as it was before, only now, you have people willingly opening fire onto people that could in fact be great, friendly people, and the only reason they're even doing that is because they're labelled as a "bandit". I think that this promotes judging people based on their appearance, rather than who they actually are, and I think they're often wrong on those judgements.

Until they implement ways for returning fire (without being shot), and friendly fire to NOT count towards humanity, I can't support the system. And even then, as many have said in other threads, I think it ruins the immersion a bit just to know that player is a malicious killer, I like the mystery, the risk.

I agree with Viri. I don't think it should be included. IRL you aren't going to know someone is a bandit if they're wearing camo or not. Plus defending yourselves from other survivors who aren't bandits makes you lose humanity which doesn't make sense.

The place in the screenshot is uhh Black Mountain, or Novy Lug and there is absolutely nothing on interest their. :(

Well... i killed a bandit (it was self defense), some how lost 2000 humanity currently have -110, I'm a bandit now. No one trusts me, after i spawn, maybe run to the closest town I see someone, i tell him I'm friendly BOOM! bullet in my head. Has happened a lot

I like to RP, you know like working together and if i see someone ill yell out FRIENDLY!! and maybe team up or move on (IRL that would probably happen). The game was a lot of fun with out this humanity system a lot more RPing. To me now just a survival PVP server.

I do not agree with the new morality system. It is too easy to justify killing a bandit because they are a "bandit".

I want the uncertainty back.

Only bandit I've ever seen snuck up on me and unloaded his revolver into me while a zombie was after me. Luckily the zombie got stuck and I went prone immediately, so in that time he figured I was bleeding out, I was turning around and popping him in the head.

He was my first human kill in this mod, although it didn't credit me with the kill because he bled out.

He had a lot of canned food on him and some revolver ammo, as well as a Cz550 and a buncha other stuff which I didn't need, which made up for the blood loss. Also had some misc gear that I also had. I hid his body after I looted it, just to be a dick.

And no he wasn't shooting at the zombie. He was at an angle where hitting me while aiming at the zombie would be really really difficult, and almost every shot he fired was into my legs or chest. Not sure how I survived actually but it was on toothpicks and bubble gum to be sure. Blatant luck!

I probably won't shoot at a bandit on sight unless its a really lucrative shot or I'm bored, but I'll certainly avoid them.