Sign in to follow this  
adwilk1231

Is the amount of PvP due to the difficulty of PvE

I'm pretty new so this is not an educated opinion but is some of the KOS attitude that players have to each other coming from the fact that other players are far and away the biggest threat to you in the game?

In other words I have no incentive to work with you if I don't really know you.  I'm better off killing you and keeping everything for myself and taking out the biggest risk in the game.

If the zombies were so scary that going through a house on my own was a huge risk it might be worth it to work with a stranger to go through a town and take turns looting while the other looks out.

players are far and away the biggest threat to you in the game?

Psst, that's the idea. They're supposed to be. Dean has said from the early days of the mod that he wants players to be the biggest threat in the game.

The current sheer volume of PvP probably has a lot to do with the lack of other interesting activities to engage in at the moment, but don't expect any of the game's mechanics to become larger threats than other players. Humans will always be your prime enemy in DayZ.

• Like 5

Players are absolutely the biggest threat in the game and a lot of KOSing i have learned is in often in response, or fear to, 

A). People combat logging if you don't KOS them

B). New spawns and how easy it is for them to knock you down if you turn your back to them,

C). The fear that the person about to KOS is going to get shot if they don't KOS them.

Secondly about more zombies, currently there is so much ammo in the game that people usually die before they fire all of it, if they buffed zombies or made them where they don't die from one shot of a fire axe i'd imagine more bullets would be used on zombies.

edit: ignore the smiley face where B is supposed to be when i type out B like i did A and C it puts in that smiley face

Edited by Timecharge

A good portion of the PvP is because of the ease and lack of depth of the PvE.

Once we have vehicles to repair/maintain, bases to build/defend, and crash sites to hunt for you'll see less PvP...on the coast at least.

But for now all you have is the hour it takes to gear up and then back to the coast to hunt.

• Like 1

Players will always be the biggest threat, in any game including pvp, because that's who it is aimed at. Zombies will become a much bigger threat as the alpha develops but not as much as the players - to a degree you can reduce the player threat by KOS but then the game could become less fun.

I'm pretty sure in one of the twitch videos Dean spoke to this directly. He stated something to the effect that of course players were the number one danger in the mod, but in SA they were going to work hard to make the zombies / environment the biggest danger. He's spoken a few times on the fact that they want to encourage team play in various ways. He has also acknowledged that player killing will always be an aspect of DayZ as it should be.

Edited by DrGonzo
  • Like 2

The concept of PvE never even occurred to me in the years I spent playing the MOD or now standalone. 

I dont even know what you mean by PvE in terms of DayZ... do you mean zombie hunting?  Player vs Monster game play stuff?  or just general Player vs Environment stuff like crafting, merchant, housing... meat and potato MMO content stuff?  

I would say there has never really been any Player vs Monster type of game play in DayZ and I dont really expect much in the future nor is there any real usable content in the current state of standalone so that basically leaves PvP as the only thing to do. 

If you are looking for a PvE co-op zombie killing game I am not sure DayZ is going to be the one for you. 

The volume of PvP is probably due to the total lack of PvE activities and total lack of threatening zombies.

The fact that human players are the greatest risk to your own life will never change, however, and they will always be the most dangerous.

Rocket stated in an interview that the M4 was going to be one of the "rarest" guns in the game but since they worked the hardest on it he wanted it to be one of the first in the game.

As it is now.

Since right now Rocket has pretty much just gave us some basics to play with while he works on stability/security issues before he releases any of the content they are withholding, things are what they expected it to be:

-Buggy

-PvP

-Basic

The elements for "Survival Zombie MMO" aren't all here yet.

He isn't going to release everything they have when there are vulnerabilities.

People would complain even more about losing more important things.

People just need to use this time to get comfortable with the combat system, blood and health system, food and water etc etc

In the end people will complain if they don't have something, and they will complain when they get it.

So just sit tight, strap your seat belt and be glad we have something to play around with while we wait for the actual release.

I saw 4 zombies all huddled together and slapping each other in the face the other day and I giggled with joy, "A mini-horde!" :P

And like has already been mentioned, Rocket wants to make zombies more of a threat so perhaps we'll see more zombies, different types of zombies, stronger zombies, hordes of varying size and perhaps something similar to Left4Dead2's "game director" where suddenly and sporadically you get attacked by hordes/waves of zombies.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

Psst, that's the idea. They're supposed to be. Dean has said from the early days of the mod that he wants players to be the biggest threat in the game.

The current sheer volume of PvP probably has a lot to do with the lack of other interesting activities to engage in at the moment, but don't expect any of the game's mechanics to become larger threats than other players. Humans will always be your prime enemy in DayZ.

While he is right that other players will always be the biggest threat, balancing will most likely change such that the environment will be a much bigger threat than it is now. Most importantly, there will be more Zeds. And second most important, there will be significantly less loot.

Edited by Rantanplan

PVE right now just won't work there's no common enemy really unless your thinking of hero vs bandit.

and i do agree that humans are dangerous and they try to kill you blah blah.

ok so, hopefully the zeds they are working on adding are dangerous i hope they peel our skin off with there teeth

i hope cherno and electro are so full of them(like 2 thousand in each town)so that if a guy shoots any gun that isn't silenced, he gets a mob rushing the location of the shot.

if we get zeds with those kinds of numbers there will be PVE servers im sure, but until then theres really no need.

I'm pretty new so this is not an educated opinion but is some of the KOS attitude that players have to each other coming from the fact that other players are far and away the biggest threat to you in the game?

In other words I have no incentive to work with you if I don't really know you.  I'm better off killing you and keeping everything for myself and taking out the biggest risk in the game.

If the zombies were so scary that going through a house on my own was a huge risk it might be worth it to work with a stranger to go through a town and take turns looting while the other looks out.

Like most people have commented here its just really the fact PvE isn't threatening because of its lack of content at this time in the Pre-Alpha stage. there's a few number of zombies which haven't been fully optimized yet, sickness is not hard to contract as long as you stay away from rotten food so the only real threat at this moment in time is another player's itchy trigger-finger.

Because there's a limited amount of PvE elements people get bored and then KoS others, I actually like this real threat in some weird way.

While thats the idea, I think the biggest threat to any player in the game is the game engine itself

I seriously doubt they will ever be able to make the infected a threat except through nerfing the player

the fact is that game isnt that intersting if you kill everyone you meet. PvP is really fun but its equally rewarding to mix it up with randoms and mess around with the new mechanics like handcuffs, force feeding, ect. Of course a lot of players arent going to do much of this and at the moment its a bit difficult as high grade loot is a bit too easy to get but this will hopefully change

Edited by Shagohad

Dangerous zombies will add a third variable to encounters. Not just you vs that guy. You vs THEM vs/with (? ) that guy. Makes pvp more intense and more risky. I've died in the mod lots after winning a firefight, but then died dealing with a dozen zombies on me!

I seriously doubt they will ever be able to make the infected a threat except through nerfing the player

Zombies accounted for something like 75% of player deaths in the mod, even factoring out suicides shortly after spawning. So, I disagree.

Make ammo a little less common, get 1,000+ zombies on the server, improve their ability to navigate a little and you've got a bit of a headache on your hands for sure.

• Like 1

PvP is a play style. PvE is a play style. Each to their own. DayZ does nothing to enforce either, and neither should it.

PS: PvE ATM is hindered by there being no threat from the E, yet. (Well, technically there is as the other players are part of the E.)

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1