Sign in to follow this  
mjf6866

who has a MAC and is running the SA? my buddy needs help

i have a friend that has a mac (a very high end mac from what i'm told) and would like to be able to play this game.  i know i have read that people are running it with boot camp or whatever but he says he bought a copy of "Windows for Mac".  i dont know if thats parralells or whatever, but he says he doesnt run it through bootcamp.  i'm not famaliar with them at all so any help would be appreciated!

are there any resource links or tutoriasl that i can send to him to try?

(please dont say to just buy a PC.  i give him enough crap already :))

The reason boot camp is far preferable to a VM solution (parallels, vmware fusion, virtualbox, etc.), is that for gaming you want all of the hardware resources to be available to the host OS and the game. If you run windows in a VM running on a mac, the MacOS is going to have to allocate a significant portion of its hardware resources to run the OS, so there is added overhead. With boot camp, it's no different than a PC. Windows has all the resources available to it, including full use of the CPU/GPU. I can't imagine that DayZ would run in a VM. It might launch, but would be unusable. If he has a high end mac, with a decent GPU, DayZ in windows via boot camp should run well.

thank you for the input...i just txted him to try to get more info and he did say it was boot camp.

so is it as simple as isntalling it ad running the game or will he need to modify video drivers and stuff?

Hipsters have mac. 

It's like running any version of windows, though boot camp for specific platforms generally comes with appropriate driver software. He might need to install some, but it should be pretty straightforward.

Bootcamp is your best solution. I'm using a Mac Mini with Bootcamp and the game runs well. The graphics aren't the best.. but its playable.