DrunkDan

Thanks for Handcuffing Me, Bandits.

On a whim, I decided to purchase DayZ SA. I have never played the mod but decided the premise was good enough to give it a whirl. Upon first launching the game, I decided the first thing I must do.. well, actually, the first thing I must do is build an actual gaming PC.

The second thing I decided to do was explore the abandoned village I was near. And I quickly became prey to a small group of zombies. 

The third thing I decided to do was practice circle strafing. Check. 

----

The fourth thing I decided to do, was respawn. I quickly noticed I started in a much larger but similarly abandoned city. Interesting. I did notice some zombies off in the distance so I got low and found myself staring at something resembling a hospital? Maybe school? It was a multi-story big white block building. 

I began my ascent up the stairwell, clearing each floor. On the first floor, I found a blue bandana and shirt. Nice. Clearly I am on my way to acquiring all of the necessary tools to surviving an apocalypse. On the second floor, I found a can of tuna. And.. down the hall I saw it. A rifle. I snuck to the end of the hall and picked up the mosin. No ammo. No attachments for it. But fret not, for I also found a red fireman's axe. I felt invincible!

As I trudged my way up each flight I became more and more confident. I finally arrived to the top floor... and a well armed "gentleman" was crawling down. Crap. I immediately drew my fireaxe ready to fend myself. I raised one hand as a gesture of goodwill. And I found myself staring down the barrel of his M4. 

I turned to the right thinking I could run for it.. and I was staring into my own reflection of the deep dark eye cutouts of a gas mask. And another M4 barrel pointed to my face. Both hands went into the air. 

"Are you alone?"

Instead of being barraged by a hail of gunfire, I was being barraged by questions. I replied, "Yes, sir. I am alone."  

"Do you have any supplies?"

"A can of a tuna, some rags, this here rifle and axe. And that is it".

Deep inside, I hoped that my paltry equipment load out would earn me some pity from the bandits. It didn't seem that it would. 

"Turn around. We are going to handcuff you."

I couldn't believe it. I was going to either be robbed and executed, or my new rifle and axe were going to just be taken. They stared at me a minute and seemed to be having a conversation amongst themselves. 

"Would like an M4?"

I was confused. Was this a trick? I didn't know how to respond. I had just found a Mosin. Why would they be offering an M4? Is an M4 worse? I don't know. But I was in no position to be arguing or be debating the finer points of ballistics between the older Mosin or the modern M4. 

"Yes sir, I would appreciate it." 

"We are going to unhandcuff you now and drop the M4 over in the stairwell."

One of the gentleman removed my Mosin from me and unhandcuffed me. The other dropped a fully modded M4 on the landing as promised. I cautiously made my way to the landing eyeballing the sleek black M4 laying before me. 

I picked it up and inspected it. A grip. Some kind of iron sights. Some kind of guard. Interesting. 

"I really appreciate it guys," was all I could muster. I didn't know how to thank my recent captors. 

"Stay safe....

....oh, you will need these. We don't have any ammo we can spare so hopefully you can find some but these should help". 

The generous rogue then dropped two 30-round magazines on the ground before me. And before I could say anything else between my stuttering and stammering- they were gone. 

-----

I don't normally try to write in any kind of RP fashion, but.. I am not sure who my generous captors were but thank you. It was a great experience, especially for a first one in DayZ. It inspired me to post here and hopefully "Pay It Forward" as much as I can in my time in DayZ. 

Now I am considering purshing ARMAII:CO so I can play the fleshed out mod. 

• Like 30

My first player interaction was a guy wildly swinging an axe at my head from behind, you lucky soul you

Good first impression of what this community can do.

Welcome to your new addiction.

As for buying Combined Arms for the MOD. I would highly recommend it. If you like SA, you will love the MOD. Not to mention while we are going through this Alpha you might want something a little more finished to just back to every once in a while.

Enjoy yourself and welcome to the community.

• Like 1

In both DayZ mod and DayZ SA, my very first characters will met in the first 10 seconds by a guy with axe, who killed me. The second time only because i could move due to not setting my keys right...

You convinced me :) I am buying the Combined Arms package so I can enjoy the best of both worlds lol. But now I feel so divided :P

As for buying Combined Arms for the MOD. I would highly recommend it. If you like SA, you will love the MOD. Not to mention while we are going through this Alpha you might want something a little more finished to just back to every once in a while.

Sounds like you ran into some heroes, not bandits. You lucky dog you.

lol yeah. I was being a little facetious :) I thought it was going to be bandits but turned out not to be. Was rewarding. Literally ha.

Quick question- so, I noticed there are "private hive" type things- like epoch, overwatch, etc. are they necessary? Is one better than the other? Is vanilla DayZ mod contain base building mechanics, etc?

Hello mate, welcome to Dayz. :)

If you play on a private hive the progress made is only on that server. 

Epoch, Overwatch and other stuff are not necessary unless you want to play on a server that runs them :)

Lies upon Lies upon Lies, they handcuffed you, took all your stuff, striped you naked and then just left you to the zombies, afdmitt it, Im Negan.

Haha! This is almost how my first ever encounter with people went.

I had logged out in a house. I logged in to see a well geared guy standing right in front of me. I immediately raised my hands, telling him I was friendly.

Then I heard another voice behind me. And another from outside. They told me they were going to handcuff me for their safety. After asking if I needed anything, I told them not really. They informed me that they had given me a canteen and a couple cans of food.

After chatting for another minute, they unhandcuffed me and ran out of the house, wishing me a safe journey.

Sounds like we encountered the same group, or at least very like-minded ones.

It was definitely a reprieve after having read all the negativity on this forum.

Edited by mrtoothpick

Haha! This is almost how my first ever encounter with people went.

I had logged out in a house. I logged in to see a well geared guy standing right in front of me. I immediately raised my hands, telling him I was friendly.

Then I heard another voice behind me. And another from outside. They told me they were going to handcuff me for their safety. After asking if I needed anything, I told them not really. They informed me that they had given me a canteen and a couple cans of food.

After chatting for another minute, they unhandcuffed me and ran out of the house, wishing me a safe journey.

Sounds like we encountered the same group, or at least very like-minded ones.

It was definitely a reprieve after having read all the negativity on this forum.

That encounter sounds almost exactly (verbatim of words exchanged) like what rhinoCRUNCH and his "Wolfpack" do and say in his videos, quite possible, you were very lucky that you ran into heroes, my clan and i try to do the same but usually end up in firefights with bandits more than running into coastal spawns to help.

How lovely o_o my first encounter was a new spawn running around screaming "LETS BOX LETS ALL BOX" punching furiously at anyone around him.  After that was a lovely man in a bright yellow raincoat with a fireaxe chasing me singing about how he wants to feed me his filthy dirty rotten banana and kiwis.  They should use that stuff in the ads for the game, same with the awesome steam reviews.

ku-xlarge.png

ku-xlarge.png

My first encounter was with two geared up players, they almost killed me, I managed to escape but I died from bleeding, so, you're lucky. Now, I help new players with supplies, but sometimes I ran into bandits and kill them. :)

My first player interaction was a guy wildly swinging an axe at my head from behind, you lucky soul you

Ditto

also I have an M4 that I'd like to trade for a mosin

Edited by Window Licker

wow awesome encounter. wish mine would have been more like that

i request more encounters like this

Edited by Ynneead
  • Like 2

On a whim, I decided to purchase DayZ SA. I have never played the mod but decided the premise was good enough to give it a whirl. Upon first launching the game, I decided the first thing I must do.. well, actually, the first thing I must do is build an actual gaming PC.

The second thing I decided to do was explore the abandoned village I was near. And I quickly became prey to a small group of zombies. 

The third thing I decided to do was practice circle strafing. Check. 

----

The fourth thing I decided to do, was respawn. I quickly noticed I started in a much larger but similarly abandoned city. Interesting. I did notice some zombies off in the distance so I got low and found myself staring at something resembling a hospital? Maybe school? It was a multi-story big white block building. 

I began my ascent up the stairwell, clearing each floor. On the first floor, I found a blue bandana and shirt. Nice. Clearly I am on my way to acquiring all of the necessary tools to surviving an apocalypse. On the second floor, I found a can of tuna. And.. down the hall I saw it. A rifle. I snuck to the end of the hall and picked up the mosin. No ammo. No attachments for it. But fret not, for I also found a red fireman's axe. I felt invincible!

As I trudged my way up each flight I became more and more confident. I finally arrived to the top floor... and a well armed "gentleman" was crawling down. Crap. I immediately drew my fireaxe ready to fend myself. I raised one hand as a gesture of goodwill. And I found myself staring down the barrel of his M4. 

I turned to the right thinking I could run for it.. and I was staring into my own reflection of the deep dark eye cutouts of a gas mask. And another M4 barrel pointed to my face. Both hands went into the air. 

"Are you alone?"

Instead of being barraged by a hail of gunfire, I was being barraged by questions. I replied, "Yes, sir. I am alone."  

"Do you have any supplies?"

"A can of a tuna, some rags, this here rifle and axe. And that is it".

Deep inside, I hoped that my paltry equipment load out would earn me some pity from the bandits. It didn't seem that it would. 

"Turn around. We are going to handcuff you."

I couldn't believe it. I was going to either be robbed and executed, or my new rifle and axe were going to just be taken. They stared at me a minute and seemed to be having a conversation amongst themselves. 

"Would like an M4?"

I was confused. Was this a trick? I didn't know how to respond. I had just found a Mosin. Why would they be offering an M4? Is an M4 worse? I don't know. But I was in no position to be arguing or be debating the finer points of ballistics between the older Mosin or the modern M4. 

"Yes sir, I would appreciate it." 

"We are going to unhandcuff you now and drop the M4 over in the stairwell."

One of the gentleman removed my Mosin from me and unhandcuffed me. The other dropped a fully modded M4 on the landing as promised. I cautiously made my way to the landing eyeballing the sleek black M4 laying before me. 

I picked it up and inspected it. A grip. Some kind of iron sights. Some kind of guard. Interesting. 

"I really appreciate it guys," was all I could muster. I didn't know how to thank my recent captors. 

"Stay safe....

....oh, you will need these. We don't have any ammo we can spare so hopefully you can find some but these should help". 

The generous rogue then dropped two 30-round magazines on the ground before me. And before I could say anything else between my stuttering and stammering- they were gone. 

-----

I don't normally try to write in any kind of RP fashion, but.. I am not sure who my generous captors were but thank you. It was a great experience, especially for a first one in DayZ. It inspired me to post here and hopefully "Pay It Forward" as much as I can in my time in DayZ. 

Now I am considering purshing ARMAII:CO so I can play the fleshed out mod. 

You got jipped the m4 is crap compared to the mosin

My first spawn.. I was led by 2 people to an open area by a well with 1 other person. "Hey there's loot on bodies over here, Come get some!."

They made another guy and myself have a fist fight to the death, other guy won, got shot in the head. Haha.

Gotta love Day Z.