Confirm/Deny

Your map screen is a blank screen until you actually physically find a map in game correct?  IE you do not start with a map of the game at spawn.  

correct. This seems as good a place as any to ask if anyone knows of a good quality topo map for Chernarus+ ?

Edited by Dingo

But M doesn't work. You have to equip the map into your hands.

I think that's true only with the pieces. I think I read that once you "craft" the full map then the M key will bring it up.

And the map comes in up to four peaces, NE, NW, SE, SW. You can then combine adjacent pairs (drag one over the other) to create a S, E, N, W section, and finally to a complete map.

And the map comes in up to four peaces, NE, NW, SE, SW. You can then combine adjacent pairs (drag one over the other) to create a S, E, N, W section, and finally to a complete map.

How does a map of E Chernarus fit into this puzzle?

yeah that's a real good one

Here is another one I use:

DayZ Standalone: Chernarus Map

The second map is from the mod, not the SA, though it says SA on the page. The biggest obvious differences are up north; especially NW of Lopatino and the Dam (which doesn't appear to exist).

How does a map of E Chernarus fit into this puzzle?

It is a possible loot item. I've found NW, E, and N Chernarus maps at various times. I'm not sure how the crafting works, but I'd guess that East and West will craft into a full map, as will North and South, as they all contain the entire parts of the map for their location. For example, E Chernarus has everything from Guba down to the coast, to about a mid-point in the map. Just a guess, though. I definitely could not combine E and N. I tried.

I can confirm that you cannot craft, or even look at a map without having all the pieces. Try looking in gas stations. I've found almost every map fragment in a gas station. Pretty logical when you think about it. 

It is a possible loot item. I've found NW, E, and N Chernarus maps at various times. I'm not sure how the crafting works, but I'd guess that East and West will craft into a full map, as will North and South, as they all contain the entire parts of the map for their location. For example, E Chernarus has everything from Guba down to the coast, to about a mid-point in the map. Just a guess, though. I definitely could not combine E and N. I tried.

What he says. When I said adjacent pieces can be combined, that means that

=> NW + NE = N

=> NW + SW = W

=> SE + SW = S

=> SE + NE = E

=> E + W or N + S end in the full map.

Combining=Crafting works by dragging one piece over the other in the inventory, and then you should get the approriate option in the drop down menu (sometimes may take a short time).

• Like 2

I can confirm that you cannot craft, or even look at a map without having all the pieces. Try looking in gas stations. I've found almost every map fragment in a gas station. Pretty logical when you think about it. 

This is not correct. Put the map fragment in your hand and you can look at it - I think I remapped the associated key, so I can't tell you that one (but not while still in the inventory screen!). Or map it to one of the fast access keys on the bottom of the inventory, and you can call up by pressing the respective number (e.g. 5 if you dragged the map to the fifth slot).

Edited by Rantanplan

Im having a bitch of a time finding more populated areas.  spent 2 hours running with the water on my right following the tracks, veering inland only when I see structures.  Came upon only very small towns, and what looks like a grain silo. was barely finding any loot at all.  Ended up getting into it with a zombie and then when I was bleeding, I went to drop my first aid kit to get a bandage and the damn thing disappeared from my inventory.  Wasn't in vicinity, so I went unconscious and stayed that way. 

Anyone else had to respawn many times at first?