Sign in to follow this  
Moorpheusl9

Smell

If the player is hurt enough to start bleeding, this starts to smell - bandages stop bleeding and so stop the character from smelling stronger. Change clothes to drastically reduce the smell of blood too. Also - aftershave/perfume items as loot etc. can mask the smell.

Zombies within a certain distance smell the blood and start moving in your general direction.

Perhaps this could also lead to the introduction of wind - could carry the scent more in whatever direction the wind is blowing.

Could also have a 'sniff' action (could be a way of indicating nearby players) - for the wind direction, the player could do the ol' 'lick finger' test, or take a grass cutting and throw it in the air. That way, if the player has been bleeding, they know what direction the wind is carrying their scent.

Thoughts?

Currently, in game the wind always blows East, making that difficult (just watch the clouds, or your breath at night). I find that smell is a sense best left simplified within a game, otherwise they'd have to start putting some type of method to better represent that in game, which I am personally not a fan of.

• Like 1

Currently, in game the wind always blows East, making that difficult (just watch the clouds, or your breath at night). I find that smell is a sense best left simplified within a game, otherwise they'd have to start putting some type of method to better represent that in game, which I am personally not a fan of.

Wind in upper atmosphere and low atmosphere blow in different directions.

Considering the setting of the game, I don't think I'd want to be smelling players!

Eeewwwww!