Sign in to follow this  
27 others

Why Mouse Acceleration in First Person desperately needs Fixing #2 *Long Post*

The main issue is that there seems to be a subset of players that believes that all games should respond like some other FPS do instead of actually LEARNING TO PLAY THE GAME AS IT EXISTS.

I do not quite belong to this subset of players. And that subset of players has every right to pinpoint flaws in the game they purchased. They also have every right to prefer 1:1 input over the current system, because it is more realistic blah blah i have to repeat myself over and over again. READ WHAT I WROTE IN THE FIRST POST AND YOU SAVE 90% OF YOUR  TIME POSTING HERE.

You never fail to mention in your posts, that you, personally, easily got used to it. Let me show you how much this is not an argument, with help of a metaphor. If you dont understand it, take a look at the (((((brackets))))).

A man goes into a restaurant and orders a turkey sandwich.                                                                                                     ((((((((( A man wants to play Dayz Standalone )))))))))))))))

The counter person asks: "We don`t have any turkey in stock right now and it won`t be delivered until in a few weeks."        ((((((((( Full release will take place in a year or so. You can try the alpha )))))))))))))))

"Oh, alright. Im gonna take an egg sandwich then."

"Ok. The price is, lets say a dollar. It would actually cost 2 dollars but since you looked forward to turkey, i guess that discount might brighten your day" (( reasonable price, plentiful patches, nice developers ))

"Wow! Much appreciated!"

"Would you mind if our trainee cook preparated the meal? He is very new."                                                                             (((((((((((( Alpha disclaimer )))))))))))

"Many people have to learn by doing. It`s fine"

The man received his sandwich. It looked absolutely wonderful and tasty. The man told the waitressto give the cook credit for such a masterpiece.  ((( Dayz has a very promising concept, very nice ideas)))

He took a first bite... "Oh no! What the----! Something tastes very weird..."

He seperated the buns and had find out, that the otherwise perfectly fine sandwich, for some incomprehensible reason, had a big shitstain right above the tomatoes. ((((current DayZ mouse movement)))

Most people would return the sandwich right here, even tho they do not really want to give the trainee a bad reputation. The crucial point is that they do want to enjoy their meal, and simply are unable to ignore the shitstain. No matter from which angle they look, everytime it comes any close to their mouth the stinging smell of shit violently kills their appetite. In panic, they try to grab the ketchup, but there is none avaible ((((mouse acceleration options)))). They now realize that they are just unable to gulp it down. The very thought of excrement invading their mouth area makes them belch. They give up and call for the waitress. 

A tiny group of people (the lucky ones) do not even notice that there is anything wrong with it, because they lost their taste buds in an accident.

Another little group of people just realize there is a shitstain on their sandwich, after they take their second or third bite. They almost finished the sandwich now. And they paid for it. It doesnt taste THAT bad, to them.... because, hey, they reached the third bite, right? At this point they are really proud of themselves. They feel superior to the first group of people, knowing they adapted to such an environment. They order another one, and another one. For some reason, all of these sandwiches have a little shit on them. After eating a few of them, they begin to genuinely like them, after a few more, they start melting away at the sole thought of buying another shitstained sandwich.

Does that mean they are better at eating shitstained egg sandwiches? Yes. 

Does that mean they handled the situation better? Hard to say. 

Does anyone profit from this situation? No. 

Would the kitchen maybe profit from better hygiene? Probably.

"But this is exactly  how it works... as long as you are not outside the range of allowed speed. 

If green is slow and red is fast:
>......|........|.< = no issue
>......|..........<..| = issue

If the red bar is fast, as you say, and the arrows represent the range of player mouse movement, it should be the other way around. If player movement exceeds a certain value of "fast", there is an issue.

That issue should not exist.

Because I know that most people hate it when they first try it, but most, over time come to like it. 

Shit-stained egg sandwich.

If you limit the speed of raw input then it will still feel arkward, as it still wont respond to a quick movement. This way just punishes the player more for loosing there cool, and I think thats what most people dont like. They dont like that its not easy, like every other game, and taking aim actually requires some thought and skill....not just raw 1:1 point and click.

Limiting the upper value for speed of mouse movement to a realistic value DOES help. Negative mouse acceleration has to be deleted because it is a broken system. It is completely f**ked up.
Quick mouse movement will mostly be responded to with slightly less quick ingame movement.
-> quick movements are as quick as real life permits. Not more, not less.

Again, i do not want 1:1 input. I know my suggestion in practice would maybe feel a little akward compared to most FPS. Thats what it should be like. The current system is just completely and utterly broken.

Edited by 27 others
  • Like 3

They stop blaming the system (which actually isn't horrible) and learn to play.  I don't like the 3rd person exploits, but I have learned to utilize them when on a third person server and don't demand that this is the highest priority because it is something that personally bugs me... I understand that is the way the game is and things like full character wipes and getting more zombies as well as proper zombie pathing and other code into the game is higher priority than something someone can learn to deal with in an afternoon of playing.

I, and many others cannot. You are generalizing and downright lying. Read the story above.

They stop blaming the system (which actually isn't horrible)

YES, IT F**KING IS. LOOK AT MY EXPERRRRRIMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTT READ MY FIRST POST.

Others seem to have no issue with getting used to it. Think about that.

Others seem to have quite a lot of problems with current mouse movement. Take a look around in this thread.

And about that link, accusing other people for not having actual arguments..... ooooooh the irony.

it was put into ARMA II for a reason and that reason was to give movement weight. Maybe it doesn't accomplish it right, but it had a reason for implementation and my experiences in FPS since the early 90s tell me that reason was a good one even if the implementation wasn't perfect.

THATS PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY. WHAT. I. WROTE. IN. MY. FIRST. POST.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

"A Limitation of Mouse Acceleration is not such a bad idea. But the value they have for the upper limit of mouse acceleration at the moment, is unfitting."

IDEA = GOOD, smart, praisewrthy                                    REALIZATION = GARBAGE. No need to obfuscate. 

As I stated, it isn't a PRIORITY, because it takes good players all of an afternoon to get used to it and basically ignore it after that. 

LIE. You repeat yourself.

You missunderstand me, im saying that if you implement 1:1....then restrict it....it will be almost the same as negg accell

[...]And that vid in mercules post illustrates exactly why 1:1 is bad. Really its that that has no place in computer games, if you want anything bordering on realism. IMO dumming down a feature to appeal to the masses isnt what dayz is about.

1:1 is bad because the animations look weird? They already look weird. And I answered to the upper part already, somewhere in this post

IMO dumming down a feature to appeal to the masses isnt what dayz is about.

IMO breaking mouse movement to appeal to the wannabe realists (who dont have a clue about realism) isnt what dayz is about.

• Like 1

I think you mean it is not something that ~YOU~ can easy get used to. Others seem to have no issue with getting used to it. Think about that.

Look how many people in this thread (and several others about the very same topic) want it to be changed.

Also have a look on how many notes and upvotes the main issue in the issue tracker has: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=76

I'll give you some time to read it and "Think about that".

Thank you... I've been waiting for some dumbass to claim something about how "true gamers" would or would not for months now.

Calling me a dumbass and posting a "wannabe look smart" link might make you look cool from the perspective of a twelve Year old, I personally prefer to have conversations in a mature manner and with arguments.

Have a nice day.

Edited by KiloSwiss

1:1 is bad because the animations look weird? They already look weird. And I answered to the upper part already, somewhere in this post

First why quote the first bit and not my explination.....1:1 is bad because....

1) its unrealistic....completely and utterly

2)If you implement 1:1..... then restrict max turn speed..... you are doing exactly what negg accel does, except removing the punishment, and replacing with a less punishing method.....eg just making it easy as hell, or dumming it down.

3)it had nothing to do with the animations.....its the speed at which they rotate.

And its not broken at all....its different.....outside peoples comfort zones, and thats what dayz does in every respect....takes gamers out of there comfort zones and make them ADAPT. 

EDIT - If so many played the mod without issue.....and many clans still enjoy competitive A2, then your argument that its broken is invalid.....its simply down to how you are miss using or miss understanding the system.

Also arguing the other side of a point is not in any way pooping on your thread.....its in fact what you create a thread for in the first place. What, did you think everyone would just agree with you? 

Edited by Karmaterror

its a personal preferens, ive always played with mouseacceleration since Quake1 TF/CS 0.6.5.

You never fail to mention in your posts, that you, personally, easily got used to it. Let me show you how much this is not an argument, with help of a metaphor. If you dont understand it, take a look at the (((((brackets))))).

Your metaphor is broken. It should go like this:

Man walks into a restaurant and orders a Big Mac. (((((COD/Quake/Unreal/BF movement)))))

The person behind the counter tells them, "I'm sorry this is not McDonalds, McDonalds is across the street. (((((One of those other games))))

Man jumps on the counter and starts a riot about how shitty it is that this restaurant doesn't have Big Macs and everyone knows Big Macs are the best thing to eat. Proprieter comes out and mentions they will have a burger similar to a Big Mac. Customer continues to throw a fit about how the restaurant doesn't have it now and that the proprietor should go back into the kitchen and start making one right away when he could easily go across the street, eat his Big Mac, shut the hell up, and come back in a few weeks when the burger like the Big Mac is actually ready.

First why quote the first bit and not my explination.....1:1 is bad because....

1) its unrealistic....completely and utterly

2)If you implement 1:1..... then restrict max turn speed..... you are doing exactly what negg accel does, except removing the punishment, and replacing with a less punishing method.....eg just making it easy as hell, or dumming it down.

3)it had nothing to do with the animations.....its the speed at which they rotate.

And its not broken at all....its different.....outside peoples comfort zones, and thats what dayz does in every respect....takes gamers out of there comfort zones and make them ADAPT. 

EDIT - If so many played the mod without issue.....and many clans still enjoy competitive A2, then your argument that its broken is invalid.....its simply down to how you are miss using or miss understanding the system.

DUUUUH I DO NOT WANT 1:1 INPUT MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are arguments 1) and 3) supposed to go in my direction?

A less punishing method does not make it "easy as hell" in this case, but REALISTICThere is no real reason to get punished that much. because you dont get punished that much in real life while rotating around your own axis (WHICH YOU SEEE IN MY MOTHERF***** FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I do not want to ADAPT to a system that ISSSSS BROOOOKEEEEEEEN!  THE PICTURES I DREW CONFIRM THAT IT IS BROKEN AND UNREALISTIC. LOOK AT THEM. LOOK AT TENNIS PLAYERS.

It should go like this:

Man walks into a restaurant and orders a Big Mac. (((((COD/Quake/Unreal/BF movement)))))

[...]

Customer continues to [complain]  when he could easily go across the street, eat his Big Mac, shut the hell up, and come back in a few weeks when the burger like the Big Mac is actually ready.

I explained to you    C O U N T L E S S  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! times that i do NOT want gameplay like Cod/Quake/ other stuff. You never acknowledged that, but only read what you wanted me to have written. You are one of the most ignorant persons i have ever met.

I can not eat my wanted burger (i dont want a Big Mac) somewhere else, because there is no other game like Dayz out there that has nice mouse movement aswell. 

Yes i am just going to resume playing when the issue has been fixed. It firstly has to be fixed.

Here is a more easy to understand depiction of what my thread is trying to say:

IoMQk6p.png

Edited by 27 others

DUUUUH I DO NOT WANT 1:1 INPUT MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are arguments 1) and 3) supposed to go in my direction?

A less punishing method does not make it "easy as hell" in this case, but REALISTICThere is no real reason to get punished that much. because you dont get punished that much in real life while rotating around your own axis (WHICH YOU SEEE IN MY MOTHERF***** FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I do not want to ADAPT to a system that ISSSSS BROOOOKEEEEEEEN!  THE PICTURES I DREW CONFIRM THAT IT IS BROKEN AND UNREALISTIC. LOOK AT THEM. LOOK AT TENNIS PLAYERS.

First sentance.....take your own advice and READ....i never said you want 1:1

Lets see a vid of this experiment....all we have is your word that you can 360 to stable position in less that 1.5 secs (about how long it takes in A2 engine)

And here we have the main problem...."i dont want to adapt". You have not got anywhere near the best out of this system yet as your posted results show. You just want to call it broken and have a fix that does almost the same thing with a less severe punishment. Show me a tennis player with a fully loaded backpack, and something that weighs as much as a long rifle in there hands. Not to mention they all wear shorts as to not restrict movement....in dayz you got loaded bag, pants, holsters, tac vests.....you cannot compare the 2.

A lot of us are not even asking for 1:1 mouse movement, even if we're not given an option to turn negative acceleration off it would be nice if we could turn it down. It's totally unrealistic and it's a pain in the arse for those of us who are punished just because we play with high sensitivity peripherals. Not only am I more comfortable with high sensitivity and smaller movements but it also alleviates a lot of issues I have to put up with because I have arthritis, it is that simple.

Good. Why complain about me not mentioning that part when it was not even directed at me???? I was not going to fully quote every post you guys wrote, because then we would be at thread page 7 by now, with everything having been repeated 2039034 times.

Lets see a vid of this experiment

No, because i would rather not show myself on the internet. Everything you gotta have to do the experiment yourself is written right there if you want to convince yourself. I even encouraged the people to do this experiment themselves to calculcate averages.

all we have is your word that you can 360 to stable position in less that 1.5 secs (about how long it takes in A2 engine)

No. 1.1-1.3 seconds compared to 2.2-2.6 seconds is HALF as much. HALF.

Show me a tennis player with a fully loaded backpack

Just used that example to show you that fast motions are possible without falling over

in dayz you got loaded bag, pants, holsters, tac vests.....you cannot compare the 2.

I know. I did not compare the 2. I did an experiment to outline the basic thought. And in there, i considered a fully loaded bag, pants and stuff.

Edited by 27 others

Lets see a vid of this experiment....all we have is your word that you can 360 to stable position in less that 1.5 secs (about how long it takes in A2 engine)

And here we have the main problem...."i dont want to adapt". You have not got anywhere near the best out of this system yet as your posted results show. You just want to call it broken and have a fix that does almost the same thing with a less severe punishment. Show me a tennis player with a fully loaded backpack, and something that weighs as much as a long rifle in there hands. Not to mention they all wear shorts as to not restrict movement....in dayz you got loaded bag, pants, holsters, tac vests.....you cannot compare the 2.

If you seriously think that 1:1 input with max speed limit is the same as negative mouse accelerator then you either do not know how they even work or are just delusional.

1:1 is 10x more natural and realistic because it matches exactly how much and how fast you want to move compared to accelerations which arbitrarily will change your speed because you went 10 pixels too fast.

"Panic" doesn't work like that in real life so there is zero sense in that explanation.

"I don't want to adapt" Most people have adapted but that does not mean it is not a major fault in 1st person view gameplay right now. Clunky, unrealistic tank like movements has been one of the biggest problems in the ARMA series which got somewhat fixed in ARMA3.

Lol at your fully loaded guy comparison. So I guess when I spawn and I have absolutely nothing on me the negative mouse acceleration will not be there...oh wait, it is. Very realistic indeed.

Your perception of realistic speed is probably as restricted and distorted as from the guy above you. Your tummy feeling says its normal. My experiment shows it isnt. I doubt im doing anything wrong, since i tested it under every possible circumstance anyone here brought forward. I moved my mouse gently, fast, controlled, softly, changed my windows mouse sensitivity configuration, changed and fooled around with my ingame configuration countless times, compared it to other games, compared it to a realistic environment.... and there are many others here who suffer from the same problem.  Please, tell us how to "do it right".

Oh, wait. You cant. You only come here to post stupid memes to disguise the fact that you have no real arguments.

For some background. While I have not undergone official military training or law enforcement I did spend time in paintball leagues and have read up on and watched videos concerning Close Quarters Combat, room clearing, obstacle clearing and the like. I then practiced and used those same skills in matches. Paintball guns are designed to be light weight but even so they weigh 4-5 pounds with loader, bottle, and everything else on them. a lot of players use short barrels but I always used a bit longer barrel since I played back so when I was forced into close range I had to learn to move so I could work that longer barrel around obstacles without having it give me away. I think I have as good an idea of movement with what amounts to a carbine or SMG as any non-combat person would. 

Now I didn't have 20-30 pounds of gear in a backpack on my back but that just means I might actually move slower with that. I don't think the movement I manage in DayZ:Mod or SA seems that much off... other than the fact that weapons add geometry and bump into things when anyone with any experience handling a gun would drop the barrel and bring it back up on the other side of the door frame instead of bumping into the door. That obviously has nothing to do with mouse acceleration. 

So to refute your claim that my opinion of realistic speeds is probably off.... forget using a dumbell, I have actually spun around to shoot with a "weapon" that weighs about 75-80% what your barbell weighed. 

All I can tell you is that I am not experiencing this disconnect between moving my mouse and what my avatar is doing in the game world. I can't tell you what you are doing wrong because I am not watching you do it, I can't see your hand moving across your mouse pad and your avatar on the screen at the same time and see what the disconnect even is. All I can do is give you advice based on my experiences with ARMA II movement. You can move fast if you move smoothly. You can move slow if you move smoothly. If you zip you end up doing something else completely. I've played twitch shoots and gotten okay if not grand at spinning shots. In unreal I could hipshoot a Railgun and get frequent headshots with it and I could spin 180 and shoot a guy I saw out of the corner of my eye. I got used to that movement but that movement is totally different from this movement. 

The BEST advice I can give anyone about getting used to this movement is USE IT. Like all things in life, it becomes easier with practice but it might mean unlearning habits that work really well in other games. I have to switch gears when I go to Battlefield and I don't like going from that to this or vise versa in a night, it messes me up. 

I guess in the end I am trying to say that the reason you have problems is because you are not used to it. You don't want to get used to it though so I can't help you. You don't hit a tennis ball in the same way you hit ping pong ball even if they are somewhat similar and this is the same sort of thing. a different set of learned skills. You being bad at it doesn't make the system bad, it means your bad at it. Others might be good at it. It's not a bug, it was a feature of the game that should probably be changed since it is causing more trouble than good for most people but it is not a priority over actual bugs since it still functions.

I explained to you    C O U N T L E S S  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! times that i do NOT want gameplay like Cod/Quake/ other stuff. You never acknowledged that, but only read what you wanted me to have written. You are one of the most ignorant persons i have ever met.

I can not eat my wanted burger (i dont want a Big Mac) somewhere else, because there is no other game like Dayz out there that has nice mouse movement aswell. 

Yes i am just going to resume playing when the issue has been fixed. It firstly has to be fixed.

Here is a more easy to understand depiction of what my thread is trying to say:

I can accomplish what you would like. Why can't you and why can't you comprehend that if someone else can do it, you can too... 

Here is what YOU are not grasping. This is an issue YOU are having. YOU are the root cause. Yes the system does not work in a manner YOU seem to be able to use. There are others like YOU, but if the system was truly broken that I would not be able to accomplish what YOU seem to not be able to. Problem = YOU. 

I would like you to take a look at how long it takes for you to do a 360° turn ingame. Like, actually stop it via Sony Vegas or a stopwatch or something.

You might actually be right and your mouse speed may actually be realistic on your game. If so, i dont know whats the problem and why it doesnt work for me.

all i can say is i can move my hands gentle and smoothly, and i did.

Edited by 27 others

If you seriously think that 1:1 input with max speed limit is the same as negative mouse accelerator then you either do not know how they even work or are just delusional.

1:1 is 10x more natural and realistic because it matches exactly how much and how fast you want to move compared to accelerations which arbitrarily will change your speed because you went 10 pixels too fast.

"Panic" doesn't work like that in real life so there is zero sense in that explanation.

"I don't want to adapt" Most people have adapted but that does not mean it is not a major fault in 1st person view gameplay right now. Clunky, unrealistic tank like movements has been one of the biggest problems in the ARMA series which got somewhat fixed in ARMA3.

Lol at your fully loaded guy comparison. So I guess when I spawn and I have absolutely nothing on me the negative mouse acceleration will not be there...oh wait, it is. Very realistic indeed.

It is exactly the same principle....you hit a certain speed....you hit a restriction. Weather that restriction slows or caps you is irrelivent....its the same principal. All it will do is remove the punishment for choppy movements.

1:1 is more natural and realistic.....what?!?!? thats a delusional statement lol. I want vid evidence of you turning like a ego shooter....nope....thats because its completely unrealistic....just what people have been spoon fed. Accelerations apply when you exceed a certain speed....they are in no way arbitary.  

Panic dosent work like that? really.....so a paniced guy swinging his gun round like a maniac will be more effective that someone moving in a controlled manor who can pretty much fire as soon as they see you due to being in control of there weapon.

I would like you to take a look at how long it takes for you to do a 360° turn ingame. Like, actually stop it via Sony Vegas or a stopwatch or something.

You might actually be right and your mouse speed may actually be realistic on your game. If so, i dont know whats the problem and why it doesnt work for me.

all i can say is i can move my hands gentle and smoothly, and i did.

Well, the only thing I can actually think of is "perception". 

One of us might be used to moving a certain way. Maybe I "think" I am a still capable of twitch shooting and I am not and so in my age I have smoothed out my movement just due to time and being used to something other than twitch shooters, I don't play many of them anymore. So my natural mouse movements might be slower and smoother and thus never trigger it. I might have an advantage in that way and so picked up how fast I could push that while still staying fast. 

Others might be used to spinning 360 with only a tiny mouse movement and "snapping" the mouse around very precisely and that just doesn't work in ARMA II, DayZ:Mod, DayZ:SA right now. So their perception of "Moving Smoothly Yet Quickly" might be magnitudes faster and "snappier" than my mouse movements. 

All I know is that my spatial sense in the game is such that I don't feel disconnected from my avatar and spin around in game just fine. I've actually stopped and shot a zombie running at me from the front and then spun and shot a zombie that had been following me about 5m back in game once and that to me seems like it shouldn't have gone all that well if movement was as bad as it appears for you.

Edited by Mercules

its the same principal. 

Yes.

All it will do is remove the punishment for choppy movements.

Yes. the punishment is out of place.

1:1 is more natural and realistic.....what?!?!? thats a delusional statement lol. .

Exerpt from first post:

Would you limit your speed of head movement to the slower arm movement? And thus create a clunky, unintuitive and restrictive experience, which is not even realistic? (Dayz)

Or would you enable the arms to move a little faster than they actually are able to? This also is not realistic, but creates a fluid and intuitive gameplay, that still maintains many of the possibilities from the above mentioned method. (Common Ego Shooters)

Ego shooter: 360° in 0.63s -> 570° per second -> moves 42.5% faster than real life

Real Life: 500° in 1.25s -> 400° per second

Dayz: 360° in 2.57 s -> 140° per second -> moves 65% slower than real life

Panic dosent work like that? really.....so a paniced guy swinging his gun round like a maniac will be more effective that someone moving in a controlled manor who can pretty much fire as soon as they see you due to being in control of there weapon.

You know, you can move your body fast without looking like a guy dancing on extasy.

Edited by 27 others

Here is what YOU are not grasping. This is an issue YOU are having. YOU are the root cause. Yes the system does not work in a manner YOU seem to be able to use. There are others like YOU, but if the system was truly broken that I would not be able to accomplish what YOU seem to not be able to. Problem = YOU. 

I am curious what mouse sensitivity and settings you use, and why you think I should play like you.

360 in 2.75 secs is wrooooong.....its way faster than that when you know how to use it.....il look for recording software now and try to make a vid.

At the moment your head turns faster than your body....thats correct. You can also hold alt when in iron sights and negate mouse accel when you have lined your body up with the target.....lining up your body isnt even that hard (as i will show in a vid). 

The punishment isnt out of place, it screws up your attempt to aim if you do it in an unreasonably fast manor....working fully as intended. It also adds a feeling of weight to the player.

Its like going from Dayz to l4d where it feels like your skating on ice and have the reflexes of a damn superhero. 

Might take a while to post a vid because i got no you tube account or recording softwareor anything, but i will try because 2.75 seconds is just rediculous time to spin round. And i know from experience the engine is capable of a lot faster.

For some background. While I have not undergone official military training or law enforcement I did spend time in paintball leagues and have read up on and watched videos concerning Close Quarters Combat, room clearing, obstacle clearing and the like. I then practiced and used those same skills in matches. Paintball guns are designed to be light weight but even so they weigh 4-5 pounds with loader, bottle, and everything else on them. a lot of players use short barrels but I always used a bit longer barrel since I played back so when I was forced into close range I had to learn to move so I could work that longer barrel around obstacles without having it give me away. I think I have as good an idea of movement with what amounts to a carbine or SMG as any non-combat person would. 

I went through 9 months of mandatory conscription and I have done many 60-men-or-more paintball matches with russians, fins, swedes with full gear (padding, ball bottles, weapons, roleplay gear at times, camo nettings, etc) and I could look around faster than in DayZ. Even more so when "panicking". But my anecdotal evidence means just as much as yours - nothing. 

All I can tell you is that I am not experiencing this disconnect between moving my mouse and what my avatar is doing in the game world. I can't tell you what you are doing wrong because I am not watching you do it, I can't see your hand moving across your mouse pad and your avatar on the screen at the same time and see what the disconnect even is. All I can do is give you advice based on my experiences with ARMA II movement. You can move fast if you move smoothly. You can move slow if you move smoothly. If you zip you end up doing something else completely. I've played twitch shoots and gotten okay if not grand at spinning shots. In unreal I could hipshoot a Railgun and get frequent headshots with it and I could spin 180 and shoot a guy I saw out of the corner of my eye. I got used to that movement but that movement is totally different from this movement.

The fact that you want a video of someone moving their mouse in a video game to prove them wrong is lol. I guess the godly amount of people who complained about it in Ofp, ARMA, ARMA2 all should give in videos of themselves so you can tell them what they are doing wrong. Maybe the developers themselves should films their mouse movements as well because if they changed it for ARMA3 then they were obviously using their mice wrong.

The BEST advice I can give anyone about getting used to this movement is USE IT. Like all things in life, it becomes easier with practice but it might mean unlearning habits that work really well in other games. I have to switch gears when I go to Battlefield and I don't like going from that to this or vise versa in a night, it messes me up. 

To anyone getting teleported off ladders with a rifle in hand, the best advice I can give is REMEMBER TO CHANGE YOUR WEAPONS. You will finally get used to it and it will be a no problem. "get used to it" and appeal to tradition fallacies are the worst and hold progress back.

Just because we can play with neg acceleration does not mean it is not garbage and doesn't need fixing.

Let's change half of the "suggestions" subforum to GET USED TO IT

Edited by myshl0ng

Would you limit your speed of head movement to the slower arm movement? And thus create a clunky, unintuitive and restrictive experience, which is not even realistic? (Dayz)

Or would you enable the arms to move a little faster than they actually are able to? This also is not realistic, but creates a fluid and intuitive gameplay, that still maintains many of the possibilities from the above mentioned method. (Common Ego Shooters)

Um... Common Ego shooters lock the head movement to the arm movement. DayZ doesn't. Which is unrealistic again?

I am curious what mouse sensitivity and settings you use, and why you think I should play like you.

Because it seems to work? I mean if you can find some other way the movement feels natural in the game as is feel free to do so, but if Player X has a problem with a game system that doesn't seem to affect Player Y is it more likely that the game system is the issue or Player X HAS an issue? 

Because it seems to work? I mean if you can find some other way the movement feels natural in the game as is feel free to do so, but if Player X has a problem with a game system that doesn't seem to affect Player Y is it more likely that the game system is the issue or Player X HAS an issue? 

It wouldn't work for me, directing you back to my previous post. Am I still just "doing it wrong"?

I went through 9 months of mandatory conscription and I have done many 60-men-or-more paintball matches with russians, fins, swedes with full gear (padding, ball bottles, weapons, roleplay gear at times, camo nettings, etc) and I could look around faster than in DayZ. Even more so when "panicking". But my anecdotal evidence means just as much as yours - nothing. 

The fact that you want a video of someone moving their mouse in a video game to prove them wrong is lol. I guess the godly amount of people who complained about it in Ofp, ARMA, ARMA2 all should give in videos of themselves so you can tell them what they are doing wrong. Maybe the developers themselves should films their mouse movements as well because if they changed it for ARMA3 then they were obviously using their mice wrong.

To anyone getting teleported off ladders with a rifle in hand, the best advice I can give is REMEMBER TO CHANGE YOUR WEAPONS. You will finally get used to it and it will be a no problem. "get used to it" and appeal to tradition fallacies are the worst and hold progress back.

Just because we can play with neg acceleration does not mean it is not garbage and doesn't need fixing.

Let's change half of the "suggestions" subforum to GET USED TO IT

1. I can whip my head around like crazy in DayZ just like in real life. My body however moves slow, just like in real life. 

2. I don't want a video. What I was trying to explain is I can't tell others why it works for me and not for them because I have no clue how they move, only how I move. I can't explain how to do it right because I have no experience with it going wrong or can't compare our two "styles" and then say, "Oh well it looks like this is happening." He says he is moving smoothly but then again my color blind father-in-law thinks he is wearing a red and yellow shirt not green and yellow. His perception of smooth movment may not be the same so our inability to figure out what is going on is limited by what we can see and experience. 

3. You are attempting to compare an actual bug and problem to a FEATURE of the game. Falling off ladders was not purposefully added to the game. While the design for movement might not have been ideal, it was put in for a reason. You don't agree with that reason but that doesn't mean it was a bug.