Rzach

I have an idea for helping with the KOS problem. Rocket should read.

Just to repeat (theme of the thread, you know): This was a good suggestion, and well worked out - plenty of ideas on details, some could be usefull etc.

It was foolish of OP to put this forth as one more anti-KoS suggestion - his ideas have potential, but they should not be seen as preventing KoS, rather making the game more realistic and deep.

You know, you can KoS even if your hands shake for few minutes afterwards :)

It would just make it a tiny bit harder to mass-murder bambi-bunches at Balota.

You know exactly whats gonna happen if they implement a stress mechanic, Players will continue to kill they same that they have been. Their character starts getting the shakes or whatever they implement as the deterrent to KoS, bandit get's his buddies together on the coast, gives them all his gear jumps off a tower (face it the east coast is suicide central these days) ptsd gone, meets up and collects gear. This process would take a little bit of time but not enough to be the end of KoS. In the name of comedy this would also place a bunch of well armed bandits in the new spawn zone.  

Now your proposed solution has just made the issue worse.

They only way to cut down the KoS (against new spawns) is to place a challenge in the game that makes it worth while for players to leave the new spawns alone.  I imagine this would be in the form of

1. Once the servers manage to get 100+ players on at the same time.

2. Once base building is implemented, giving players a incentive to defend against either other players or roaming hordes of zombies, or raid other bases. 

3.  (personal thought) Having "super infected" either super zombies or infected bears, wolves and other large animals that  won't go down easy.

Finally the best way to prevent being KoS'd is already in game, don't get seen.

This is a Alpha after all. DayZ is unique because people are able to be bandits, most zombie games doesn't have that abillity. I have seen on the mod, that it can come a random horde of zombies, with no reason at all, making it intense. The guys who made this game, are looking for suggestions from all of us, I would like to have a random horde showing up in nowhere attacking you because of your sounds or what so ever.

Just to repeat (theme of the thread, you know): This was a good suggestion, and well worked out - plenty of ideas on details, some could be usefull etc.

It was foolish of OP to put this forth as one more anti-KoS suggestion - his ideas have potential, but they should not be seen as preventing KoS, rather making the game more realistic and deep.

You know, you can KoS even if your hands shake for few minutes afterwards :)

It would just make it a tiny bit harder to mass-murder bambi-bunches at Balota.

just to repeat: no, it wasn't.

There's too much wrong with that.

A perfect example would be killing people in self defense. I don't do KoS, but why should I be punished if I'm only defending myself?

Yes, KoS sucks. But your suggestion would just create other problems, and it wouldn't solve the KoS 'problem'. Just group up with some friends, or try to be a bit more aware of your surroundings. I tend to play in nearly full servers, and I'm almost always aware of another player before they're aware of me. And it isn't difficult to tell if they're a new player or a vet, by watching how they move around. Newer players tend to be more of a KoS type, whereas more of the mod vets are not.

Also, not every person that has killed another person IRL, is a sociopath. It's not mathematically possible.  

Yea not really a valid fix, not that KOS should be fixed. Lets say I am a psychopath do I still get that stress? Anyways there shouldn't be any negative effects to being a bandit other than bad rep, If anything make a system where other ppl can lets say like your guy which will give you positive points, but to even do that they ll would have to be near you.  

it's almost as if the OP hasn't even watched the Walking Dead

Watched it. Read it. They still don't shoot on sight. While violence may ensue after meeting others they always start by giving warnings and talking things out. If the Walking Dead was KOS then Rick would have been shot when he first found the group. Michonne would have been killed at the fence. Hershel would have killed the group when they approached his farm. And so on. The show at least tries for realism. You get to see the types of trauma the group suffers both mentally and physically from the violence they are continuously surrounded by. 

I don't think many of the nay sayers have really read my idea. My idea is not to stop KOS but to fix it. Currently there are a type of player that engages in griefing. They don't eat or drink they just kill everyone with whatever weapon they can find. They will starve to death or die of dehydration because they don't use supplies. Have any of you all ran into the axe wielding maniacs who just leave piles of bodies in their wake? The only thing I like about them is when they move on you can get some decent gear easily since they just leave the bodies alone. There are people who camp the hills above Kamyshovo killing the new guys just as they spawn in. 

KOS is a video game mentality. It is a form of metagaming. In real life people don't respawn so in an apocalypse humans are a limited resource. That is not the case in a game where when you die you get to respawn as a new survivor along the coast. In real life if a person was killing everyone they met they would either get killed themselves thus ending the problem permanently or they would run out of people to kill. 

Anyways my idea is simply to make combat a bit more immersive and put a cost on doing it. It fixes the KOS problem by simply making things have consequences. Specifically it was meant to address the crazy KOS guys who don't even try to survive. If you are a bandit or just want to stay safe then the system will have minimal impact on you. Notice I suggest a 10 minute delay between getting stress and when the symptoms kick in. This means that the first kill only causes five minutes of hand shaking. If you want to kill others without consequence you can just get some meds to take to stop the symptoms. It also gives a reason to go back into cities once hunting and the like are put in the game. It could even be done as a server option that could be disabled if needed. 

As a note to all of the people who seem to think this is based on some kind of morality or such: Sorry it is not. The idea is based upon the science of how our brain operates. The frontal lobes are the actual reason people aren't just murder machines in real life. People are simply wired to not kill each other normally. While a person can be pushed to the point that they do kill it results in mental trauma and stress. There are tons of studies in neuroscience about the effects of violence on the human brain. 

I still want the game to be violent and dangerous. I don't want it to be mindless and boring though. The violence in the game should be methodical and scary. It shouldn't be a bunch of respawning clowns running around the starting areas murdering everything like a game of unreal tournament. 

There's too much wrong with that.

A perfect example would be killing people in self defense. I don't do KoS, but why should I be punished if I'm only defending myself?

Yes, KoS sucks. But your suggestion would just create other problems, and it wouldn't solve the KoS 'problem'. Just group up with some friends, or try to be a bit more aware of your surroundings. I tend to play in nearly full servers, and I'm almost always aware of another player before they're aware of me. And it isn't difficult to tell if they're a new player or a vet, by watching how they move around. Newer players tend to be more of a KoS type, whereas more of the mod vets are not.

Also, not every person that has killed another person IRL, is a sociopath. It's not mathematically possible.  

Never said they were all sociopaths. Just said that sociopaths don't suffer the same mental consequences for killing. Many non sociopathic individuals have killed. They suffer all kinds of mental trauma for doing so. Stress and regret are two of the most common.

I think the OP's ideas are neat, but really don't gibe with DayZ as it stands. For starters there are plenty of occasions where people in game have displayed some form of moral compass. I will use my situation as an example.

Normally, when I am at the airfields I have a 'shoot first an ask questions later' mentaliy because if someone else has a gun chances are I am gonna get shot. So I shoot first.

There was a situation when I was running along the treeline near Solnichny and I heard this kid talking over the local coms. "Hey I need food I need food!" As he runs towards me. I immediately stop in my tracks pointed my m4 at him and told him to stop and put his hands up. Then I heard gun shots in the distance and thoughts were going off in my head (what if he is baiting me to get killed? What if he pulls out a gun and shoots me? If I help this guy what if he hits me or does something?) Rather than blasting him into respawn oblivion, I ordered him not to move. I dropped a can of sardines on the ground and then told him not to follow me or id kill him.

Note: He had no visible weapon, but at the same time I felt there was no point in killing him. Moral compass can play a part in this even if KoS is an option. And just as a take away anytime you shoot your gun whether its to KoS or not you are basically inviting people to come kill you so there is that.

Edited by hatesauce

I don't like any suggestions involving the game telling us how to respond emotionally to the game.

When I kill people in DayZ I feel bad and it bugs me afterwards. This is enough.

• Like 1

KOS threads are like a sore tooth for me. I just can't help investigating. 

Immediately met with a wall of text and I realize, there is nothing different about this than any other KOS thread. 

The suggestions that you are making have been made hundreds of times.

• Like 1

Tl;dr KOS isn't a problem. Once there is more to the game, there will be less KOS.

Also, there are FAR worse things you can do to a player than killing them.

You can befriend them take them to the wilderness. Break their legs, bandage their wounds, take all their stuff and leave them crawling with no way to heal the break. This forces them to starve to death. What's worse you could force feed them water and food to elongate the process. They can crawl looking for morphine or stay logged in long enough to starve. Hell you could continue to check back in on them from time to time, feeding and watering them. Now that's a meta game. They would basically be forced to reinstall the game. 

Note: I play as a nice guy. In the mod shooting on site made sense, but now it's just plain boring, there are so many more innovative ways to grief people.

Edited by DrGonzo
  • Like 1

I recon just keep a kill count, then have a range of servers, the pvp killers will then only be allowed on high kill count servers. Only Friendlys can join a low kill count server.... simple?

dayumn, u guys still philosophize bout KOS...if u don't like it, stop playing the game or don't get in sb. sight.....simple!

If you have a problem with kos, just stop shooting everyone you see lol. See how well that works.

Im saying play the game, but with people who want to play it in the same way, with similar goals so everybody is happy. The more pvp kills you make, the more you would be aligned with pvp only players / servers. This stops guys who play friendly getting peed off by the players who just want to kos. Nothing is more annoying than having somebody in your sights, giving them a chance, then they slot you. Its cutting off that entire teamwork element which a lot of players want, not kos.

Way I see it, if your up north in my territory, fully kitted out like a good barracks rat, there's only one way to deal with ya. We both know your not up in my backyard for a fn meet and greet.

Now if I see you, typical scavenging outfit, goin house to house, I won't put a bullet in ya. You'll never know I'm there, my canteens already been filled and I'm headed back home. You make your way up however, you get a warning shot. I'll let you know to turn around. you push it, I'll thank you for gathering extra food for me, and a second shot will ring out.

Edited by Ineedscoffee

I stopped reading after the first couple of sentences because you were talk about real life and how KoS wouldn't be common irl compared to a VIDEO GAME! top kek

Got to love it when the newbies come here and be all badass.

"Hey! You dont like KoS/deathmatch games! Go play something else! You dont belong here!" - Person who JUST joined the forums, and most likely didn't even know what DayZ was before they joined the forums.

Love it <3

Makes me chuckle every time!

Edited by DaveAzoicer

Got to love it when the newbies come here and be all badass.

"Hey! You dont like KoS/deathmatch games! Go play something else! You dont belong here!" - Person who JUST joined the forums, and most likely didn't even know what DayZ was before they joined the forums.

Love it <3

Makes me chuckle every time!

i know this may come as a shock to you, but you don't need 644 posts, any knowledge at all about the original mod or even any extensive game knowledge about the standalone to know that Dayz SA is an open world pvp sandbox. to anyone whos played one before or has a bit of common sense, that means KoS will always be a factor. so yeah, if you don't like it, you probably SHOULD play something else.

posts like yours make me chuckle every time.

"KOS" is not a problem. You might wanna step down to more casual games if you can't compete with other people.