Sign in to follow this  
yorkmorgan

Dayz Chemisty/Chemical Warfare!

Ok, so I've had an idea for a whole new loot category that has absolutely nothing to do with me just starting Breaking Bad... we have civilian loot, we have military loot, we have medical loot, lets add laboratory loot! By this I mean chemicals, instruments, equipment and so on.

For example, you can make a bomb using a flare and a butane tank but you could make a really great bomb if you added a strong oxidizing agent, say hydrogen peroxide (found in a school laboratory) or some sort of fertiliser (found in the industrial areas).

And you know all those gas masks and ventilators that have no functionality at the moment? Well you could cook up some chemical weapons using household chemicals (found in bathrooms and supermarkets) with some rarer chemicals (found in school labs and hospitals) over a cooking stove in a beaker/cooking pot (depending on if the chemicals are acidic etc.) and have yourself a test tube full of a volatile poisonous gas.

The system would fit in really well with the whole crafting mechanic and the damage system of the standalone (the time cooked for/the damage of ingredients/the vessel you react in, metal or ceramic or plastic etc., could affect the 'damage' eg. quality and effectiveness of your creation). 

Awell as the obvious offensive possibilities: Poisons, flash grenades etc. there are medical ones, antiseptics, and other things, homemade flares and glow sticks.

You could even add in a new building specifically for high grade lab loot (IN THE NORTH!!!) 'The Chernarus Research Facility' or something.

I just think the possibilities are really cool and it would be something to do in the end game when you've got all your military gear and food, and heck the dev team are swimming in money at the moment, im sure they could put some people on it.

What do you guys think?

Note:Obviously the implications of using real chemical names and being completely scientifically rigorous would be cumbersome (and irresponsible: teaching a million people how to make homemade bombs and chemical weapons!) but making up chemical names and leaving 'lab books' with 'recipes' (low power ones around schools and bedrooms, medical ones in hospitals, military ones in military areas and special ones in 'the research facility') would get past this.  

Edited by YorkMorgan
  • Like 3

call me a mad scientist but i kinda like this does make for some interesting uses would tend to be quite a complex idea once you started down the road of implementing it though.

Im sure if they wanted they could make it awesome though now see what sort of bomb you can make from my beans..

haha, I couldn't use the beans but the empty can might a nice nail bomb container... I like the mad scientist idea, we could start the 'mad scientist society' and run around Chernarus in lab coats and gas masks throwing homemade bombs around.

its cool, but making a matchstick nail bomb is hardly chemistry...haha

I think adding IED's to crafting is perfect...not sure what IRL anyone could do with random checmicles...except for the select few school science teachers and medical people maybe?? but average joe may not  get a lot out of chemicals in SA

Im sure all this will come later on in the game if they stick to their plans.  Im confident that the devs will do this game right unlike most of the other games that have failed recently (BF4)

its cool, but making a matchstick nail bomb is hardly chemistry...haha

I think adding IED's to crafting is perfect...not sure what IRL anyone could do with random checmicles...except for the select few school science teachers and medical people maybe?? but average joe may not get a lot out of chemicals in SA

Place bomb on ground, place bleach bottle on top or bomb, place unsuspecting player on top of bleach bomb, create blinding, painful (giving you the shakes) explosion that has a specific radius for a duration. Maybe a minute. Everyone who walks into the cloud is blinded and takes damage.

Mix bleach with ammonia. BAM. Chemical warfare!

Mix bleach with ammonia. BAM. Chemical warfare!

Also would make gas masks relevant for combat instead of just being just for aesthetics

Would be awesome. Obviously the gassed would be more powerful indoors. Mechanical, cooking, weapons, medical and chemical. Some other useful simple things.

Gun powder (from bullets) + can + rope + tape = Explosive

add nails to above for added damage/range

add flair for flash bang

They are adding a cooking timer which will be used for "time bombs".

The one thing I would hope is they would limit the use of the gas mask. Like if you wear it all the time the filters wear out faster, you run slower, have worse aim and burn energy faster. So people would wear it when they need it but not 100% of the time.

I'd love it if you could make bombs that release gas over a huge area, like mustard gas and it lingers around for hours and you require a gas mask to stay alive. Would be good for capturing cities and killing any survivors/zombies by releasing mustard gas throughout the whole area.

Edit: Something a little less damaging since I just read up on it and a gas mask against mustard gas = death.

Edited by The Legit Pie