Sign in to follow this  
Window Licker

Combat Logging and Server Hopping

In the interest of ending complaints, Dean has already said that a server queing system to prevent combat logging and server hoppers is close to ready, it can be expected when he gets back to CZ in mid Jan.

sauce:http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1ugd06/change_log_030113953/ceih3gp

Loot up while you can you dirty sod's hope this comes with a char wipe. :D

• Like 3

I'm curious if anyone knows what he means by a "server queuing system" and how he expects this will solve the problems?

I don't want delays to logging in. There are so many hiccups that lead to me trying to log in to a different server. The correct solution would be to set non-spawn zones for high loot points and leaving the character on for a 30 seconds after they had logged out for combat logging.

I'm curious if anyone knows what he means by a "server queuing system" and how he expects this will solve the problems?

If I had to guess, which I do, it would be an incremental timer for switching servers something along the lines of

1st server switch, instant

2nd server switch, 1 min

3rd server switch, 5 mins

etc

the queuing part would simply be reserving your place on the server while waiting for the countdown to finish. And I'd assume that after playing for an hour or something on one server the timers would reset.

Leaving someone online 30secs after they log is unnecessarily putting people who log off because they have to eat etc. in danger. Try again.

• Like 2

1st server switch, instant

2nd server switch, 1 min

3rd server switch, 5 mins

etc

That's kind of what I was thinking and honestly I hope that's not it. If Dean thinks people aren't going to combat log because of a few minutes in queue, he's crazy. 

To save a very old character with lots of gear and a good map position, people will combat log even if the queue is 10 or 15 minutes (maybe even more). Especially if they were close to logging off for the day/night anyway which will be often enough.

This will help a lot with server hopping, of course. But combat logging is going to remain an epidemic even after this (if indeed you've got it right).

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Leaving someone online 30secs after they log is unnecessarily putting people who log off because they have to eat etc. in danger. Try again.

Okay, since when does eating or be in danger take more than let's say, 30 secs or 5 minutes?

lol this guy doesn't know what a bush or a pine tree is for xD

birdWatchers.jpg

And to your left you will see a combat logger very common in these parts yet strangly elusive. 

Think like in WoW you have to sit and wait for 20 seconds if you move it cancels the countdown, so it's only an issue if you made a mistake and are getting shot at.

I don't know who cooks at your place but the only thing I won't wait 30 seconds to eat is pussy.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 2

We definitely don't want your mommy to be upset when she calls you for dinner. Go find a bush to hide or simply leave the hot zone.

As far as I am concerned, there has to be a timer to not only log off from the server, but also to switch between servers (the latter being considerably longer).

Edited by Rein