Sign in to follow this  
[ltac] imperator

Increase Range of Direct Communication

1. Direct Communication Typed Chat should go out to people within 50-100m, providing a bit more warning before players are up in your face.

2. Direct Communication Voice Chat should transmit distance based upon volume of the voice (if this can be done) so you can yell and be heard a far way away or whisper and barely be heard by people next to you.

2.1 If the above is not possible then set the range to approximate the typed distance as well.

Agreed. Right now if you want to "whisper" you can just use TS3 or something like that. This would make direct chat much more useful, as I wouldnt have to get into that guys face to go "broski, are you a friendl- OH GOD STOP SHOOTING ME" *dead*

1) imo there should be three alternatives, instead of just "direct communication"; talk (more useful when you have a smaller group to play with), yell (when you need to find/talk to other players in the beginning) and a bunch of different radios (enhanced group communication and global chat). "direct communication" is 40 meters already.

2) Not a good suggestion. I cant sit and yell while sitting by my computer, not during the day and especially not during the night when I usually play.

Good idea.

My modification on it: when you are facing another player, there should be some ~30 degree cone in which your voice travels ~50-100m. If you aren't facing a player, it travels the normal 20m.

Im not sure about it, but I recall some dev saying that whole communication system will be revmaped.

Personaly I'm hoping for some sort of ACRE mod and stuff. Direct chat only + radio (many types with diffrent power, range, band frequency) and stuff like car power enhacment, worse signal inside buildings etc.

yeah there needs to be different channels for yelling/speaking/whispering with different pick up ranges. Perhaps 50m/15m/5m or somthing like that.

Trouble is at the moment using the voip Direct communication is basically shouting your conversation to anyone near... which is suicide if you're in a large town as bandits will just ambush you.

Pretty sure this wouldn't work for voip, but the different ranges for different types of text chat actually kinda makes sense. Even more so if there was a (very) brief indicator on the hud to show approximately which direction the talking came from.