Sign in to follow this  
Taggert13

Melee Balance To Reduce KOS

So as it stands in the current version, an unarmed player can fairly easily knock out a player and then take their gun.  I would assume this was added to make newspawns not feel completely helpless.  I love this feature and its really fun to do to a bandit, but I feel that it adds to the KOS.  Because if someone with nothing can kill me as soon as I turn my back on him, why would I let him near me.  I can personally confirm that I have killed entire groups of bandits starting with nothing but my fists.

So how do we allow fist to be viable without encouraging KOS.  My goal is to encourage balanced gameplay, not remove KOSing.  Games are the most fun when you have options.  Some ideas:

1) Allow a person to move around with their hands up.

2) Allow a block movement, so that you could block a punch or bat with your melee weapon or gun.  Preventing damage to you but hurting the weapon.

3) A punch needs to be charged to knock someone out.

4) Instead of being knocked out by a punch, the reciever just has their vision greyed and blurry and ringing in their ears.  Giving the puncher time to escape.

Let me know what ideas you have.

• Like 4

I agree. I've been havinv tons of fresh spawns rush at me swinging  theg haven't gotten me yet, but i'm down to 5 magnum rounds...

Take "To Reduce ____" out of the title. None of your suggestions are bad, but trying to promote "Better melee" is a lot easier than "Better melee to prevent KoS".

• Like 1

Take "To Reduce ____" out of the title. None of your suggestions are bad, but trying to promote "Better melee" is a lot easier than "Better melee to prevent KoS".

I'm trying to encourage discussion within a certain context.  People often try to improve systems without understanding how they effect other systems.  I want to make melee better without hurting other systems.  Unarmed combat was not in the Mod and adding it has changed other system.  I don't have a problem with melee EXCEPT that it prevents trust.

Edited by Taggert13

Honestly if some douchebag with just fists can make me bleed... I will never let them near me. The knockout thing is really BS though, but all playable characters are trained by Mike Tyson.

• Like 1

I'm trying to encourage discussion within a certain context.  People often try to improve systems without understanding how they effect other systems.  I want to make melee better without hurting other systems.  Unarmed combat was not in the Mod and adding it has changed other system.  I don't have a problem with melee EXCEPT that it prevents trust.

Your suggestions are fine, and would be nice to see in-game. However, any time KoS is thrown into the mix you get problems. You can't punish or try to reduce any style of gameplay, even KoS. Say "Melee Balance to Improve Trust" or whatever instead. Bringing up KoS never encourages any sort of discussion.

This happened to me recently after chatting with them as I hadn't realised the punch was that deadly, so now if they get to close after I call stay away there dead simples, or until u can counter punch or block.

Edited by Beardedbob

This happened to me recently after chatting with them as I hadn't realised the punch was that deadly, so now if they get to close after I call stay away there dead simples, or until u can counter punch or block.

Yeah the thing that sucks is that brand new players don't realize they are being threatening by being too close.  So I always feel super guilty about shooting someone who just might be confused.

I think the current punches should be jabs, and we should have the charged shots you suggested as hooks and such that can bring you knockouts.

Jabs can be done from blocking but as I said do little damage and don't knockout.

I have no idea what this has to do with KoS or "reducing" it, but you have okay ideas. 

Melee in general really needs to be a bit more robust. Grappling, tackling, struggling, blocking, etc. would be great. Also, the ability to push people down or kick them would be great - you should be able to push/kick people out of windows or off rooftops.

On one of my first lives I had about 5 newspawns rush me within a few minutes with nothing but their fists.

Needless to say I gunned them all down.

I would like to be able to make my character rotate at the hips to dodge a punch.

Just like you can hold a key to rotate you head all around you should be able to hold a different key to move your upper body around.

remember that the arma2 enginge doesnt have a melee feature. you realise that the current dayz melee is some adaptation, since you hear bullet sounds when you hit a wall with your axe ;)

dont expect too much on the melee, if they fix it to something close that has been suggested here in a resonable time i would be very surprised.

remember that the arma2 enginge doesnt have a melee feature. you realise that the current dayz melee is some adaptation.

Yes, and since it's an adaptation now and not related to ARMA 2, it's entirely possible to make improvements and changes to major parts of the engine code, melee included.

The "engine doesn't do that" argument is dead. That's practically the whole reason the game was made standalone in the first place.