Sign in to follow this  
Jemoeder

DMR ?

hes asking cause of the lack of drop rate of the weapon it seems :D therein making it hard for him to use the scope, cause he dont have the gun :P

I have the gun i mean the zeroing thing xD I was to lazy to write what i mean

I mean Standaart is 300 Zeroing is Every dot a 100 + ?

The dots aren't set for any fixed distances. You have to learn how many dots to move for various distances on your own.

The center reticule zeroes at 300m, and every mildot afterwards is an additional 100m.

if you move one dot up.. your at 400m.. correct?

OK, let's clear up this confusion.

The DMR, when fully zoomed, is zeroed for 300m. Every additional mildot below it is where the rifle hits at 400, 500, 600, and 700 meters, with 800 being the start of the black bar. Not sure if it works in the opposite direction.

Wrong. It's a misconception (and a frighteningly common one) that mildots represent set distance intervals (eg one mildot down = 100m further away).

Look at the SVD scope. The spaces are not linear, they are parabolic. Those spaces actually do represent bullet drop over a set distance.

Think about it this way: if a bullet traveled downwards according to the mildots on a scope, then it would be traveling down in a linear fashion. Have you ever seen a bullet that when fired, travels in a straight line, diagonally down from the barrel? Didn't think so.

For more information on how a mildot scope ACTUALLY works (this includes both real life, and in-game), check out:

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle

For a guide on how to use the mildot reticle accurately in-game, watch:

He covers all of the scopes quite accurately. The only bad thing about the video is that he trashes the CZ550, which I find to be WAY better than he gives it credit for.

The center reticule zeroes at 300m' date=' and every mildot afterwards is an additional 100m.

[/quote']

Impostor !!!

Oh AND:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?80754-Arma-2-Weapon-Ranging-and-Correction-Tables

There's a nice forum thread on range-finding, and how to use mildot scopes. It's also nice that it shows how to use the under-barrel grenade launcher sight.

Edit: first link in the thread is: http://wolverine.cameron.edu/~ac113448/ARMA2/ARMA2WeaponRangingAndCorrectionGuide.pdf which actually has all of the conversion tables.

Takehome lesson: this shit ain't easy. There's a reason military snipers only become so after completing a very intense set of schooling.

Wrong. It's a misconception (and a frighteningly common one) that mildots represent set distance intervals (eg one mildot down = 100m further away).

Look at the SVD scope. The spaces are not linear' date=' they are parabolic. Those spaces actually do represent bullet drop over a set distance.

Think about it this way: if a bullet traveled downwards according to the mildots on a scope, then it would be traveling down in a linear fashion. Have you ever seen a bullet that when fired, travels in a straight line, diagonally down from the barrel? Didn't think so.

For more information on how a mildot scope ACTUALLY works (this includes both real life, and in-game), check out:

http://www.mil-dot.com/articles/the-mildot-reticle

For a guide on how to use the mildot reticle accurately in-game, watch:

He covers all of the scopes quite accurately. The only bad thing about the video is that he trashes the CZ550, which I find to be WAY better than he gives it credit for.

[/quote']

Seen both of those, and I've practiced on ranges in the editor. It may not be true to life, but the DMR does work in-game how I described. I've hit targets with the first shot where I thought it would go using the DMR how I described multiple times.

itt: people with less understanding of the DMR than OP

press mouse two and release = 100m zero

hold mouse 2 and zoom = 400m zero

trust me: 30something DMR kills in DayZ, including a kill made with half a dozen rounds fired at 800m and a one-hit-kill headshot at 650m (both distances measured with rangers)

The center reticule zeroes at 300m' date=' and every mildot afterwards is an additional 100m.

[/quote']

This is definitely incorrect. And it changes whether you hold right click and zoom in. These are the corrections that I've been using.

Zoomed

Range/Correction

25m +0.5

50m +1

75m +1.5

100m +1.8

150m +1.5

200m +1.2

250m +0.8

300m 0

350m -0.2

400m -0.8

450m -1.1

500m -1.9

550m -2.3

600m -3

650m -4

700m -4.6

750m -5.5

800m -6.5

DMR Un-Zoomed

Range/Correction

25m -0.5

50m 0

75m -0.1

100m -0.1

150m -0.2

200m -0.2

250m -0.3

300m -0.5

350m -0.8

400m -1

450m -1.2

500m -1.4

Not to be an ass, but if it takes you half a dozen rounds to get a kill at 800m then clearly you're doing it wrong.

Part of the problem with continued confusion about scope use (especially with the DMR) is that there are so many people out there who have landed a few shots with extremely gross estimates, and gone 'oh this estimate must be exactly how it works'.

Sandy and Warden, I'm super glad that works for you. But it's wrong, and your shots are not nearly as accurate as those of someone who uses the scope correctly (a half dozen shots to land one on an 800m target? seriously?). It is great that you land shots with your gun sometimes. But if you are using the scope incorrectly, then those hits are due in large part to luck. The least you could do is stop spreading misinformation to others.

Part of the problem with continued confusion about scope use (especially with the DMR) is that there are so many people out there who have landed a few shots with extremely gross estimates' date=' and gone 'oh this estimate must be exactly how it works'.

Sandy and Warden, I'm super glad that works for you. But it's wrong, and your shots are not nearly as accurate as those of someone who uses the scope correctly (a half dozen shots to land one on an 800m target? seriously?). It is great that you land shots with your gun sometimes. But if you are using the scope incorrectly, then those hits are due in large part to luck. The least you could do is stop spreading misinformation to others.

[/quote']

It's not that I'm landing shots sometimes and going "Oh this must be how it works durr", it's that I'm landing them /everytime/ and making a reasonable assumption that "Gee, this must be how it works".

Part of the problem with continued confusion about scope use (especially with the DMR) is that there are so many people out there who have landed a few shots with extremely gross estimates' date=' and gone 'oh this estimate must be exactly how it works'.

[/quote']

It's not that I'm landing shots sometimes and going "Oh this must be how it works durr", it's that I'm landing them /everytime/ and making a reasonable assumption that "Gee, this must be how it works".

Again, I'm super glad it works for you. You're still wrong though, and you're probably not as accurate as you're saying you are. Don't get all butthurt about it, just accept that what you're doing is an extremely rough estimate, and it is in no way shape or form representative of how the mildot system actually works.

[/quote']

Again, I'm super glad it works for you. You're still wrong though, and you're probably not as accurate as you're saying you are. Don't get all butthurt about it, just accept that what you're doing is an extremely rough estimate, and it is in no way shape or form representative of how the mildot system actually works.

Quite sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not exaggerating my accuracy, and even though I may not be doing it exactly as you would like me to, my corrections are still near spot on to what yours should be, with the exception of past ~650m.

The only butthurt I see here is you getting all antsy that we're not doing it exactly as you'd like. Suck it up, and get over it. I'll continue to use what works for me.